Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 PM

Kitty is a Private
Question for the military guys

Ok I haven't been on this forum very long but I think you guys might be the ones to help me. I am currently taking a Multi-cultural diversity class for my college degree, and we got on the topic about lowering the drinking age and someone brought up that you can vote and join the military at age 18 but cannot drink. There was a guy that I went to school with a couple years back that wanted to join the Marines because he could allegedly drink on base. I brought this up and one of the other student's has a son in the military and she was saying that what the kid had said was false. The instructor asked me to try to find out what the rules are about this so, I was wondering if I could get your guys' help on this issue because I know a lot of members on this forum are ex-military or currently in the military. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 PM

BLACK SE7EN is a Private First Class
Well that use to be true. I joined up in 1990 and a under 21 soldier could go to the enlisted or sometimes the nco club on base and drink. Now i know it has'nt been that why for awhile and i have been out since 2004 so current details i don't know. Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:48 PM

Kitty is a Private
Thanks for the information, I think that might explain where that kid had heard that rumor. Do you know if it would be legal for enlisted soldiers to drink on bases located in foreign countries?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:21 PM

Dutton is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Dutton
In response to what Black Se7en said, he is correct that's it's not legal to drink on base. However, most of the bases I've been too, aside from the training bases, they wont necessarily car you, so theoretically, you might be able to, though it still wouldn't be legal.

In response to drinking at bases in foreign countries, depending on what country, yes it can be legal, assuming you're of age.

CA M24 Disassembly Guide

Last edited by Dutton; 09-27-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:29 PM

Boxer3 is a Private
Send a message via Yahoo to Boxer3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Thanks for the information, I think that might explain where that kid had heard that rumor. Do you know if it would be legal for enlisted soldiers to drink on bases located in foreign countries?
I'm not military or ex-military, but bases located in foreign countries are US exclaves with extraterritorial rights and are subject to US laws, so no, it'd technically be illegal if they are under 21. However it would be very legal for them to go to that pub in town just outside of the base.

Last edited by Boxer3; 09-27-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:27 PM

AEPi Airsoft is a Private
I served in the Navy as a gunner. Each command (where you are posted for duty) is different. I was never stationed on a base where they allowed you to formally drink underage, but there we some commands that allowed it to a point. During fleet week (did it once in NY and once in Florida) if you are wearing a uniform, they dont card you. they know you are underage and usually you drink free. I didnt buy a single drink either fleet week, and even had entire meals bought for me.When I was stationed in San Diego, we would just take the trolly down to Tijuana and drink. It was 5 dollars all you can drink at some places. As long as you werent falling over at the gate, and made it to muster in the morning, you were allowed to drink. On my ship, we were allowed two beers every two weeks (I think those were the time frames/amount), regardless of age. This was a call made by our captain. Also, when we were in countries that had lower drinking ages, our captain let under age people drink, but they couldnt bring alcohol back on the ship. If you ask me, if someones main reason for joining is so they can drink, they are still a little child and need to grow up and get their priorities straight before joining the military. Unfortunately, most that join are just children, and the government knows exactly how to capitalize on that sad fact.

Last edited by AEPi Airsoft; 09-28-2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added fleet week info
Old 09-28-2008, 01:03 PM

H.O.S.68 is a Private
Send a message via Yahoo to H.O.S.68
I was in the Army from 87 till 97. I served stateside and in Korea. State side in the units I was in you could only have alcohol in your room if you were 21 and then only so much.If you were an NCO you could have Hard liqour in your room but not the lower enlisted. In Korea you are given an alcohol ration and you had to be 21 to buy it. But they didnt id you in the base clubs. And of course down range they didnt even worry about your age until you messed up.But that was 11 years ago so I cant really tell you about more recent times.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:04 PM

Miyagi is a Private
Send a message via Yahoo to Miyagi
45 days underway=2 beers.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:11 PM

b2187101 is a Private
I was in the Army from 88-91. You could not drink underage, period. However, you would find as much underage drinking as you would on a college campus or maybe even a high school. It all depends on who catches you. Your own unit would mean punishment a little quieter. Local PD or MPs and you were in big trouble. If a soldier was really a problem they were just kicked out. Believe it or not the military does not want to keep a bunch of rotten soldiers. I have a BS. and an MA (in education and American Culture Studies), no one on campus (professors included) had any clue what military life was like, they just came to their own conclusions based on what they WANTED to believe. Contrary to what you're probably told on campus, the military is not an out of control, drunken bunch of barbarians. It is made up of professionals, young men and women with plans for their future, and everyday people like you and me.

Last edited by b2187101; 09-29-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:34 PM

Kitty is a Private
Thank you everyone for your input, I am glad I turned to you guys for help
Old 10-04-2008, 11:29 AM

AEPi Airsoft is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
... and someone brought up that you can vote and join the military at age 18 but cannot drink.
You can also operate a motor vehicle, and buy a shotgun or rifle. Each of these are responsibilities that are much more dangerous than alcohol, in my opinion. Of course, these in combination with alcohol are very dangerous, regardless of age.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: