Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 PM

BigRed2014 has been Court Martialled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppes View Post
Alright, that sounds good. Thanks.
So you don't have to carry around your sleeping bag, tent, etc. all day. All of that can be left at the camping area. However you are required to bring all airsoft stuff (BB's, speedloaders, mags, lights, etc.) on to the field with you. Extra guns can be left in the camping/staging area as well. I would also highly recommend carrying an extra layer or too in a hydro/pack of some sort on to the field, just in case you need it.

Now for recommended cold weather gear:

First of all, and one of the most important things to do in cold weather, bring extra socks! I plan on bringing way more than I need, because I didn't bring enough on a hiking trip once and was absolutely miserable. In that same strain, I would highly recommend a nice pair of boots and some gaiters. Gaiters will help to keep snow/water/debris from getting through the top of the boot and will help keep your feet comfortable. We fully expect everyone that attends this event to be responsible, so I don't think this should be much of a problem, but it always helps to have a reminder!

Secondly, is layers. Again, we all live around these parts and know how cold it can get. Bringing layers (and extras of everything!) will be very, very important. My father always says, "You can always take something off if you get too hot," and that is how I usually do things. Proper layering is very important. Here are a couple guides that I have found helpful in keeping myself warm: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...ng-basics.html http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/103 http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/layering-guide/ These are all pretty helpful, and I would read up on them, even if just to brush up. You may even learn a thing or two, I know I did!

Thirdly, you NEED NEED NEED NEED NEED a warm sleep system. I would highly recommend a bag rated to 0 degrees or lower. If you are using a bag that isn't rated that low, get a sleeping bag liner or two to keep yourself warm. Some of these can get expensive, especially if you are purchasing new from an outdoors store. However, through my research (and talking to my dad, who has used this bag through his entire Marine Corps career), I found that this sleeping bag is very well suited to the job of keeping you warm (http://www.amazon.com/Military-Modul.../dp/B002LLPILC). It is listed as $120 here on Amazon, but I have seen them for below $60 on Ebay. Feel free to message me if you want some help tracking one down. They aren't exactly the lightest bags in the world, but you will be leaving them at staging/camping, so that isn't much of a factor. Additionally, a sleeping pad will do wonders to keep you warm. You lose a ton of body heat into the ground when camping in the cold, so a good sleeping pad is very high on my recommended list.

If you have a four season tent, I would highly recommend bringing it. Those things are pretty expensive though, so honestly I do not expect anyone to go out and buy one for this event exclusively. If you are looking for an excuse to get one though, here is your chance! However, everyone needs somewhere to sleep for the night. If you have a tent, PLEASE bring it. I would much rather have more than we need than not enough.

Water! You may not feel as thirsty when it gets cold, but you can just as easily dehydrate in the cold as in the heat when doing strenuous activities. Every player must have water on him on the field at all times. Whether that is in a hydro, in a canteen, or in some other water-containing device, staying well-hydrated is a must in the cold. Additional water should also be brought, and left in your team's patrol base. During the day, I would worry about the water freezing in a canteen or hydro, because your body movement should keep it in motion enough to prevent freezing. However, at night, hydro packs can easily freeze and be damaged. To prevent this, I keep my hydro in my sleeping bag with me, contained inside a plastic bag. Your body heat will keep it from freezing over night. Coolers can also help to insulate water and keep it from freezing over night. Leave gallon jugs in them and they should be ready to go in the morning. If there is snow on the ground, you can keep water bottles from freezing by turning them upside down and covering them with as much snow as you can. This will insulate the bottles, and if you have enough, can keep them from freezing over night. There are some more great tips/advice in this thread (http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...g-winter-trips)

Another essential is food. Having nutritious foods to eat is very important for keeping yourself warm. I will be carrying multiple granola bars on the field with me, as well as bags of trail mix to eat through out the day. A favorite food of mine while hiking is to just munch on a bagel throughout the day. They are good sources of carbohydrates, and you can get some of those fancy flavored ones like blueberry to keep it tasty. For breakfast, my far and away favorite in the cold is instant oatmeal. It is tasty, and warms you up very well in the morning. For dinner, I prefer to have some sort of noodles/pasta because it is easy to prepare. Additionally, lunch meats and cheese are very good. It is important to have protein, because it helps to keep you warm. When camping in the cold, it is always good to eat a protein right before going to sleep, as it will help keep you warm through the night. Hot cocoa and instant coffee are awesome as well, so bring that too.

Related to food: if you have a propane or other small camping stove, please bring it. It is very helpful to have a bunch of people able to heat up water in the morning and get a breakfast ready to go. It would be greatly appreciated if those could be brought along. A thermos is very highly recommended along with a cup of some sort to make oatmeal in and to use for drinks. Red solo cups work well.

In conclusion, to be prepared for the cold, you need to bring:

1.Layers, layers, layers (and extras of all clothing items!)
2.Good boots and good boot socks (extras on the socks! lots!)
3.A warm sleeping system This is an absolute must. If you do not have one, you NEED to get one.
4. A sleeping pad/ground pad on which to sleep.
5. A tent in which to sleep.
6. Water. Hydro/Canteen on the field and extra at patrol bases and staging/camping
7. Food. Nutritious foods like granolas, trail mix, lunch meat and cheeses, and pastas
8. Camping stove on which to cook things and heat water.
9. A thermos as well as cups

Compilation of helpful links:
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...r-camping.html
http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/winter/wintcamp.shtml#Food
http://www.coleman.com/coldweathercamping/
http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/winter/wintcamp.shtml
http://www.backpacking.net/wintertips.html
http://www.boyscouttrail.com/library...ampingtips.asp
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...checklist.html
http://www.d.umn.edu/~kgilbert/rec12...ipmentList.pdf

This is my list. If you feel I have left anything out or want to add tips of your own, go right ahead! The more knowledge the merrier!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM

Blowtorch is a Private
This looks like it'll be pretty awesome, but I have not the gear, money, or transportation to get there. You can expect me at Cold Hard Truth II next time, if there is one.
I call my gun the "Sex Panther".

60% of the time, it works every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
You all made it. You're alive. Breathe deeply. AO is back up.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM

P y r o is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowtorch View Post
This looks like it'll be pretty awesome, but I have not the gear, money, or transportation to get there. You can expect me at Cold Hard Truth II next time, if there is one.
We're looking into doing a sequel this summer, as long as this one is a success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
LOLKWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahm740 View Post
I love stalking someone through the creek and taking people out who didn't know a fat man could get so skinny unless it was to get some pie that was just out of reach.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 PM

Blowtorch is a Private
Is that a doge reference in the tags? Also: count me in for the possible sequel, hopefully its actually in Ohio.
I call my gun the "Sex Panther".

60% of the time, it works every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
You all made it. You're alive. Breathe deeply. AO is back up.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 PM

79stang is a Private
Actually the field is pretty epic and is very very physically and mentally challenging. I wouldnt change the location.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 PM

szak416 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowtorch View Post
Is that a doge reference in the tags? Also: count me in for the possible sequel, hopefully its actually in Ohio.

Such milsim
Many realism
Wow CAGGRU

"Mess with the bull and you get the horn, and by horn I mean my benchmade."
Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 PM

P y r o is a Private
#dogehard

Still looking for a dedicated news crew. Anyone want to don the PACA and PASGT, and run around looking pretty for the camera? Even a combat photographer would be nice.

We also need 3-5 civilians for various roles throughout the game.

Quote:
LOLKWA
Quote:
I love stalking someone through the creek and taking people out who didn't know a fat man could get so skinny unless it was to get some pie that was just out of reach.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 PM

79stang is a Private
Talk to Rygar, I would love to shoot...I mean be interviewed by him.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM

P y r o is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79stang View Post
Yes, he would make a perfect target... Err, combat photographer.

Quote:
LOLKWA
Quote:
Old 12-02-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79stang View Post
Watch out, I've heard he has a deceptive cane swing
Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 PM

79stang is a Private
Ok round two. Tried this on my phone and it didnt work.

Ok so I thought I would post something useful in this thread. I did this for Artimus, but cant find it. So here goes.

My gear list

Airsoft kit
gun
mags
BBs
gas
extra batteries
mis equipment

Camping gear
Tent-I have an Army pup and a civie tent. The benefit to the Pup tent is that it is heavy material, tried and true, can be used in many different configurations, and can be carried by two people. The civie tent is lighter to carry, has a built in floor, and has better ventilation.

Ruck (carry everything)
E tool
550 cord
Sleep system (sleeping bag) its rated at -30 degrees
Sleeping pad (not for comfort, insulation)
Chem lights
Flashlights
Propane cook stove (wouldnt work in windy conditions)
Lighter/waterproof matches
Emergency blankets
Pocket knife/multitool

Clothing
Thermals
BDUs-Extra pair
Gortext outer layer-Side not NBC suits are warm, but not that great if wet
two pairs of socks, worn (bring extra)
Fleece
Shemagh (scarf)
gloves ( I wore flight gloves with glove/mittens over them)
beanie

As for food
Jerky
MREs
Chocolate bars
hot chocolate (life saver and tasty)
Water(use canteens, hydros freeze, trust me)

Im sure I forgot something, so I will add later. Hopefully, this will give you guys a good idea of what to bring.

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS

Last edited by 79stang; 12-12-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM

Zigg is a Private
Very interested... I just gotta see if the rest of the team is interested in a Seven hour drive.. lol. Will definitely be checking back in.

-Zigg-
Old 12-04-2013, 11:36 AM

bnagley is a Private
Send a message via AIM to bnagley
So, I think LEAD will be there. Representing some US Forces in our Glorious Airman Battle Uniforms. Any other former/Current Airmen want to join us just shoot me a Message.

Lake Erie Airsoft Division Squad Leader
Does this make me awesome
Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM

79stang is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnagley View Post
So, I think LEAD will be there. Representing some US Forces in our Glorious Airman Battle Uniforms. Any other former/Current Airmen want to join us just shoot me a Message.
You running ABUs or BDUs?

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 12-05-2013, 02:18 PM

viper is a Private
I just want to take a second to give some information to everyone that is looking at coming out or that is planning on coming out. We are running a milsim event here. To give you a slight idea what is expected other than everything else that is outlined.

No squad here is going to be that SF squad that you have at every event that is favored and gets to ride in the truck everywhere. That isn't happening. If you can't carry all your gear to the other side of the AO then you better start working out now. If you want to be HSLD and all that special, then you are going to have to prove it to your CO at the event that you can execute those missions correctly the first time.

If you decide to just become your own squad or start doing things without talking to your SL, then getting it approved by your higher ups you will be punished as a squad and as a team. Now, when I say punished I'm not saying you are going to have to drop and do push ups, I am talking about your mission just got screwed up because a group of cowboys went lone ranger and now that simple mission just took a nasty turn for the worst. Don't do that to your team. This isn't a small AO nor is it flat, you don't want to have to walk back and forth because of a bad choice.

You will follow the orders from your COs, XOs, and SLs. If you want to make choices I suggest you PM one of us and say hey, I want to be the CO, or I want to be a SL. Make sure you are up for the challenge though. Ask yourself if you can take on that roll and do the best job you can.

I also am going to hint at something. Go buy a compass. Not one on a watch, a real compass. Learn to use it to navigate with a map.

If you are looking for a game with trigger time, do not come. If you are looking for an experience or willing to make one, then that is who we are talking to.

Last edited by viper; 12-05-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 PM

P y r o is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
If you are looking for a game with trigger time, do not come. If you are looking for an experience and willing to make one, then that is who we are talking to.
Fixed that for you.

Quote:
LOLKWA
Quote:
Old 12-05-2013, 10:06 PM

viper is a Private
Thanks!

Event added on Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/events/2054...an_user_joined

Edit: Lets try this link..

Last edited by viper; 12-05-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:58 PM

P y r o is a Private
Guys, we're really needing some people to take on leadership / special roles here. We have a minimum of 4 squad leaders, 2 platoon leaders, an executive officer, and a commanding officer for each team. That's 8 total leadership roles per team at a minimum. More SL's might be added if we need more.

In addition, we have 2 platoon medics and a mortar crew of 2 people for each team.

We have 1 PL for US and 1 SL for the Russians / Rebels so far. If you're the "leader" in general for the group / team you're coming with, please step up to be a Squad Leader for your group. If you're coming alone, but are experienced, why not be a Platoon Leader? Even one of the higher-ups? The opportunities are bountiful here.

Quote:
LOLKWA
Quote:
Old 12-09-2013, 12:12 AM

Raziel is a Private
Disclaimer to anyone who hasn't done an event like this: You really need to be 110% confident before you RSVP to this one that you can be prepared for the cold. At Op: Artemis, a lot of people said they would be there, and saw the weather report, and.. heheh.. got COLD FEET.

But really, an entire faction didn't show up, so you really need to have tested and true cold-weather equipment; this is not the type of event to try out something new AT the event to see if it will hold up.

I wouldn't wanna see all you Ruskies getting all macho about yourselves, then get there the morning of this event and find like last time that nobody from the Russian faction decided to show up, or worse yet, the 2nd morning of the event, finding that somebody came down with hypothermia because they overestimated themselves and their equipment.

-Lt. Gen. Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller

Last edited by Raziel; 12-09-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Panda is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by P y r o View Post
Guys, we're really needing some people to take on leadership / special roles here. We have a minimum of 4 squad leaders, 2 platoon leaders, an executive officer, and a commanding officer for each team. That's 8 total leadership roles per team at a minimum. More SL's might be added if we need more.

In addition, we have 2 platoon medics and a mortar crew of 2 people for each team.

We have 1 PL for US and 1 SL for the Russians / Rebels so far. If you're the "leader" in general for the group / team you're coming with, please step up to be a Squad Leader for your group. If you're coming alone, but are experienced, why not be a Platoon Leader? Even one of the higher-ups? The opportunities are bountiful here.
I can be an SL if necessary. I know how to use a compass and knife hand.

(It's pointing due North, FYI)
(21:42:57) Agent_Spencer: I mean i didn't need a pony made of diamonds, but I have a yolo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Have you ever noticed in commercials how there's like a white guy and his Asian friend and the black guy so it's not racist? That's pandas job
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Be smart y'all.
"I like balls"-Panda
Old 12-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Preacher is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I can be an SL if necessary. I know how to use a compass and knife hand.

(It's pointing due North, FYI)
No you need to know how to use cocian and a Benchmade

"YOU CAN PUSH YOURSELF FURTHER THEN ANYONE CAN THINK POSSIBLE"
LPO MARCUS LUTTRELL

Last edited by Preacher; 12-09-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Panda is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
No you need to know how to use concian and a Benchmade

let meh leed ur skwad

btw when did we get dinosaurs on the home page o shi-
(21:42:57) Agent_Spencer: I mean i didn't need a pony made of diamonds, but I have a yolo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Have you ever noticed in commercials how there's like a white guy and his Asian friend and the black guy so it's not racist? That's pandas job
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Be smart y'all.
"I like balls"-Panda
Old 12-09-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
cocian
What. (filler)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM

szak416 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post

let meh leed ur skwad

btw when did we get dinosaurs on the home page o shi-

"Mess with the bull and you get the horn, and by horn I mean my benchmade."
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM

P y r o is a Private
US Forces are pretty close to full. If you've already PM'd me about being US, you're good to go. The only people we need for US are an XO and one Platoon Leader, as of now.

That said, I'm going to be pretty hesitant to add anyone new to US forces when our Rebel / Russian numbers are pretty low. If you still want to come, chances are you're going to need to play on the rebel / Russian team. I've updated the gear requirements for the Rebel faction as well.

Quote:
LOLKWA
Quote:

Tags
#kmartartemis, #russianbutthurt, actual milsim, allahu potat, bb war heroes, capitalism and democracy, cold, davai, fake jeeps, hato in ground, hato must die, i/g, many realism, midwest, milsim, much walking, nato stronk, panda is a sex monster, printer needs a tag, pyro loves panda, remove kebab, such milsim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: