Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 01-03-2015, 10:12 PM

viper is a Private
1990s US military event and impression

To my recent post (FB AO) about people who are interested in a 90s type period correct event. If there are enough people who put together a kit and we see it at events, open plays or where ever, Midwest Milsim will host a period correct 90s event.

If you have questions about the kit feel free to message me. I know the US kit much much better than the German but I can still direct you towards a resource for that kit as well.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:23 PM

viper is a Private
Also for those interested

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519965718284696/
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 PM

55555 is a Private
Out of curiosity what would the teams be?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 PM

ThePIGI King is a Private
I, too, am interested in the possible teams/story-lines. I'm not entirely sure on why you mention a German kit, as Germany and the U.S. were not involved in any similar conflicts during the 90's. A 90's style game, to me, would be about the Persian Gulf war,unless somebody drew up their own story-line.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:08 AM

Ozone T20 is a Private
Sounds like lots of fun!
https://www.facebook.com/Ohiomilsimg...f=ts&ref=br_tf
Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 PM

Yawger20 is a Private
The 1990s kit and that of today isn't all that different. Still AKs mp5s and m4s. Still woodlanf and 3 color/6 color camo. Just not the newer stuff.

What is your goal here? To omit multcam, and scars? Lol. Seriously. My concern is that this isn't going back far enough to make a huge difference.

-----------------------
Last Name: Yawger
Call Sign: Frostbite
Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 PM

55555 is a Private
Honestly why not do a 1980s event or another time period during the Cold War? It would be easier to make teams, it would be Warsaw Pact vs NATO. With the 1990s there was basically just the Persian gulf and it might be difficult to find a people to portray the Iraqi army and other insurgents. But it is good to see interest in any impression type events.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:24 PM

^80's could bring in a great event for Russian enthusiasts, seeing how Russia invaded Afghanistan in the 80's. How accurate would you want these kits? Are you going to tell people they can't use their fancy sights and have only M4's with hand guards rather than rails?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:40 PM

DrenneR is a Private
On the facebook they were asking for pretty specific gun requirements

DRENNER
OMG05
Ohio Milsim Group
https://www.facebook.com/Ohiomilsimgroup
Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 PM

55555 is a Private
I was thinking more of a Cold War gone hot not so much Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. And with an impression type of event I don't think people should be overly strict about weapons but more so on uniforms and equipment, have the general look. And eastern bloc kits are not expensive, epically East German, I got my East German kit for less than $100 total and I have nearly everything. And woodland is pretty cheap. Also West german uniforms and equipment are also not that expensive.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:27 PM

JMDECC is a Private
I think the whole idea is a mid 90's Cold War gone hot scenario, or perhaps some kind of alternate history scenario designed around the Cold War should the idea become an actual event.

And no I don't believe the idea is to omit Multicam and scar's lol...I think the overall focus is to revert back a generation in terms of gear. Ex: how will you hold up using a full size M16 with iron sights and web gear instead of your super compact M4 with acog scope and plate carrier with everything you need and then some. Basically the aim is to get people to step out of their comfort zone and try something new, maybe even challenge yourselves a little bit.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:53 PM

Yawger20 is a Private
M4 came out in 1994 was first used in service in 1994. Cold war ended in 1989 when the Berlin Wall came down. Most of the weapons used today were around in the 90s sans the really new stuff. Technology hasn't really changed that much when it comes to brass tax.... guns and ammo in that limited of a duration of time. Hell the 1911 is still in use and it was designed over a 100 years. And before the flames hit, it has improved. Just not exponentially in the past 20 years in regards to the airsoft limited mocks we have available to us.

I just don't see it being a niche game. More of a restriction game thus limiting the player turnout.

-----------------------
Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 PM

Ozone T20 is a Private
So make heavy restrictions on the kit and be lenient towards the guns. I could buy the kit, but cant afford a new gun.
https://www.facebook.com/Ohiomilsimg...f=ts&ref=br_tf
Old 01-07-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone T20 View Post
So make heavy restrictions on the kit and be lenient towards the guns.
But as previously stated, the kit wouldn't be all that different. The camo would still be the same, Woodland for green, 3 and 6 colour for tan. The only difference in the kit would be no MOLLE, as it was introduced in '97, which would mean you'd need ALICE. Still not a very different game than a game now.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:52 PM

viper is a Private
80s would seem to make more sense yes but Russian gear is in no way cheap. US is the cheapest and very easy to get for us in the US. The ideas are either America vs. Germany in a fictional story or US vs. terrorists or something of that sort.

Right now there is no event in the works and until there is a small and strong enough community of US enthusiasts there won't be an event.

If the event happens restrictions will be enforces to EW standards of all real gear, period. We would allow M16A3s as the A2s aren't easy to come across, the basic M4A1 would be allowed. Unlike a lot of events these days will all the special groups this is going to be more infantry conflict type of event if it happens.

ThePIGI King, You are spot on with how we would do the guns. Carry handles, hand guards. Nothing else.

The goal is not to bring a whole new type of play and create something totally new, it is to get people together who like this immersion. The teams will not be woodland vs. 3 or 6 color because we wouldn't have US vs. US.

Like J said, challenge yourselves, I just got my flak vest today in the mail and having never worn one it is different from my AVS, very different. If this event really interests you and you want to make it happen you will make the kit happen.

Last edited by viper; 01-08-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:32 PM

Razor11 is a Private
How fat would you go on the weapons? Would rail cover be good enough?

Plus would raid mod uniforms be ok since the special forces used them?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:27 PM

viper is a Private
Rail covers would not be good enough. RAID mod also wouldn't be allowed.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:52 PM

Razor11 is a Private
I think allowing them to be would open it up more

If not then I wouldn't be interested
Old 01-09-2015, 10:12 AM

viper is a Private
Sorry, if you are willing to settle for good enough you probably aren't someone we want
Old 01-09-2015, 11:26 AM

Yawger20 is a Private
Better get arm bands as you will likely have lots of friendly fire unless you relax on the camo colors a bit. The EO will have to decide if they are doing this for the realism or for the money. By limiting your client base you will likely also limit your turnout. And playing airsoft with 50 people is usually more fun than with 20. A cold war style event would be fun.... but not as milsim as the cold war was more civil or black book than force vs. force.

-----------------------
Old 01-09-2015, 02:45 PM

viper is a Private
We aren't in this for the money at all. If we become so focused on what we are getting we will loose sight of why we are doing it.

A kind note to everyone: THERE IS NO EVENT. People seem to have taken this and ran with it. There is no event. There never was. HOWEVER there will be an event if a group of people show interest in the kit and put it together. If you are going to put it together do it right or don't do it at all. Do not half @$$ it, that doesn't work.

To get everyone on the same page, there is no event and until this kit is more popular and we see it at current open plays and such there won't be one. We want one to happen and it's why we are talking about it but this about building a community for this kit. If something like this really interests you and you want to make it happen you will make the kit happen. And if there is an event expect the kit restrictions to be tighter than any event most of you have probably gone to.

I hope this clears up the confusion that there about there being an event. If anyone is still confused, please say something so I can help clear up the confusion.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:57 AM

Voodoo S-K-7 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
If you are going to put it together do it right or don't do it at all. Do not half @$$ it, that doesn't work.
i agree with this 100% in fact i would love to have a mini operation eastwind in our area
Old 01-10-2015, 03:06 PM

rondeb22 is a Private
Pretty much what I was thinking, a mini Eastwind would be cool.

However, there was more than just Desert Storm/Shield that used thes proposed kit. Balkans/Kosovo and Panama come to mind.

As for German kits, West Germany was one of our most important allies during the Cold War, since they would likely be the first to fall in case of a WarPac ground assault in Europe.

I hope this all works out, I've wanted to do a 90s kit for a while now, and this is the perfect excuse.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Razor11 is a Private
Btw the rail system did come out in the 90s but only special forces used them
Old 01-18-2015, 01:53 AM

Gruntmike54 is a Private
I'm in! 1980's/ 1990's would be great. Got everything I need except PASGT vest.

Tags
1990s, impression, midwest, military, milsim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: