Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 AM

Myth is a Private
Radios

Ive searched around for this on AO and really havent found much, Im in the market for a radio to carry with me and use a Pryme headset with. I was wondering what type of radios you guys use. Also could you please stick to the facts about the radios so this doent get shut down, id like to know

1.Make and model

2.Range (actual not what they advertise because we all know we cant get 35miles out of a 35 mile radio)

3.How many channels

4.Reliably in the field (batt holding up under cold weather, working in the rain, ect)

5.Battery life

6.Quality (If I drop it will it shatter in a million pieces, does it feel well made or like a toy that will break in your hand)

7.How long have you had it

8.Where did you buy it from

9.Approx price

10.Overall satisfaction with the radio (1-10 Scale)

Thank you in advance for the information, I just don't want to buy something and it turn out to not do what I expected of it.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 AM

Miyagi is a Private
Send a message via Yahoo to Miyagi
1. Icom F21gm
2. approx 20
3.16 with gmrs
4.100%
5.3 days
6.the best
7.5 years
8.can't remember
9.$160
10.10plus
Only thing about this radio is that it overpowers most standard FRS radios
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
Miyagi, what field are you playing to get 20miles out of your radio and 3 days worth of battery power?

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikers_blade View Post
Miyagi, what field are you playing to get 20miles out of your radio and 3 days worth of battery power?
Its not the fact that its the radio, its the fact that its right next to Miyagi and the power coming from him actually powers the radio. This also explains the other stats of the radio.

I personally just picked up a Motorola GP68. They seem to be really popular and I love mine. Although I dont know if it will work with your headset or not.

1)GP68
2)Unknown
3)16 (but fully programmable)
4)It has been sitting in my rig for two weeks perfectly without breaking.
5)It has a 0 to 0 record aka PERFECT!
6)Better then best (not really, but its darn good)
7) 2 weeks
8)Ebay via Hong Kong
9) 100 bucks with shipping (maybe less)
10) 2011

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 AM

Miyagi is a Private
Send a message via Yahoo to Miyagi
Blade, it was tested on the NW trip to picket. I was talking to the caravan that was approx 20 miles away and could hear them. Of course this was on the high power mode.
3 days can be optained with the large 2200mah aftermarket battery. Used my icom the last few irenes and never had to charge the battery the entire weekend.

Last edited by Miyagi; 01-03-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 PM

Reaper is a Private
1. Motorola GP68

2. Not sure of actual range, but it is far.

3. Up to 20

4. Haven't had a problem with mine once I did some reading up on it.

5. About as long as an Airsoft event, so about 8hrs

6. Well made, feels much stronger than your typical FRS\GMRS radio. The faceplate that says "GP68" on it fell off of mine, but a little bit of epoxy fixed that.

7. A few months

8. http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-GP68-Tw...item3f0629c8be

Make sure you get the 430-470 MHz model

9. $55 + Shipping

10. 8 (I wish I could have more than 20 channels, somewhat short battery life, does not include a charger.)

Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Masakatsu Agatsu

India is a Private First ClassIndia is a Private First Class
I use a Puxing 777+ UHF radio. However, if you go the UHF route, make sure that the TRANSMIT range includes FRS/GMRS frequencies. Most UHF radios can receive those freqs, but cannot actually transmit in those freqs (because of the amateur band plans).

Myth, radio range is effected MOST by the antenna, so try to find a radio with a removable antenna (stock antenna usually suck), then get one specifically tuned to the GMRS band.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to get a good radio and be legal. Most of us don't really care, but I'm just saying...

FRS Radio - These require no license to use, but are limited in power, have a fixed antenna, and suck all around.

GMRS Radio - Requires a yearly license (~$90 I think), but allows higher transmit power, removable antenna, and repeaters (not that we use them, but still...)

UHF Radio - Requires a license (cheap, but you have to take a test to get it), but that license does NOT apply to the FRS/GMRS band (because they're not "amateur" bands).

Good luck choosing a radio. It was the single most confusing piece of gear I ever dealt with.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 PM

browning is a Private First Class
Quote:
Originally Posted by India View Post
Myth, radio range is effected MOST by the antenna, so try to find a radio with a removable antenna (stock antenna usually suck), then get one specifically tuned to the GMRS band.
Not quite true. A lot of it has to do with the power output of the radio and the frenquency. The greater the power out, the greater the mileage covered by the radio waves. Since most handhelds that civilians get their hands on are generally 5 watt or less output, the range on a clear day in a flat location is only going to be 4-5 miles. Power out to miles covered by radio waves appears linear at the lower end, but once you get up to say 50 watts, you only should expect to see a maximum range of about 25 miles. Add hills and trees and that gets cut drastically, probably down to less than 1 mile. Now with frequency, FRS/GMRS frequencies fall into the 462.550MHz to 467.725MHz. That is UHF. UHF is not good for hills - mostly good for ground-to-ground transmissions only. HF works great for ground-to-hill communications and even the lower end of VHF does. Unfortunately none of the cheap handheld radios fall in that range, so they are only essentially good for flat ground communications.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM

OverLord is a Private
Motorola Talkabout (standard)
Range....Never ran out. advertised at 20 miles

22 channels with 32 "security" codes per channel so total 704 channels (be aware the security codes can only be used with other motorola talkabouts but are great for team radios....other than that the other 22 channels are open channels.

never had a problem with them in battle other than one of them goes static after the ptt is held but i dropped that one in a creek.....headsets work perfect with them....might need an addaptor but that shouldnt be hard to find...

battery life is 12+hours....i have been to ops turned the radio on at 8:30 am....and unloaded my vest at 9pm with still deacent battery life left

very very durable

7 months roughly

radio shack

40ish for two of them

11 out of 10 best radios ive ever used....quality and battery life are awsome

Bronco- All tan be advised, the demolition guy is Italian, I repeat he is Italian." To which Blade replies, "I dont care if he's italian, Im French-Canadian, i want to know where he is."

Raven95- It's official, Overlord just looks awesome. Don't ask me why, he just does.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 PM

browning is a Private First Class
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverLord View Post
22 channels with 32 "security" codes per channel so total 704 channels (be aware the security codes can only be used with other motorola talkabouts but are great for team radios....other than that the other 22 channels are open channels.
LOL "security"

You don't have security on a radio unless you are talking in an unknown language that only you and the guy on the other end know or have an unbreakable crypto fill in combinaton with frequency hopping capabilities. The so called "security channels" are just offset from the assigned frequency for each channel. Anyone with a radio that can manually tune frequencies in your range can find you.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Masakatsu Agatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning View Post
A lot of it has to do with the power output of the radio and the frenquency.
I agree that a lot has to do with those, and will amend my statement to say that "an awful lot" has to do with the antenna.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Masakatsu Agatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning View Post
LOL "security"

You don't have security on a radio unless you are talking in an unknown language that only you and the guy on the other end know or have an unbreakable crypto fill in combinaton with frequency hopping capabilities. The so called "security channels" are just offset from the assigned frequency for each channel. Anyone with a radio that can manually tune frequencies in your range can find you.
And NEVER use CTCSS tones! They're like wearing electronic hearing protection to filter out certain sound, but most people (me included for a while) mistakenly think it prevents that certain sound from being transmitted in the first place. CTCSS causes more problems, in airsoft, than it solves.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: