Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 05-23-2010, 04:36 PM

tacroy00 is a Private
MAG brand magazine mod

I recently ordered a box of MAG brand magazines from AirsoftSMITH.com. The service was exceptional and they arrived on my doorstep the next day. Upon opening the box and fitting each magazine into my Classic Army M15A4 Tactical Carbine, I found that only one of the magazines fit into my gun as easily as the other magazines I had. The other seven magazines stuck when inserted into the receiver a few did this so much that it felt as if the magazine was locked into position, but a good tug would remove it.

After searching on this and other forums and finding no references to similar issues I decided I would take the problem into my own hands. Using my digital caliper I took measurements of the width of the magazine in various places. I found that the MAG magazines had two seams that stuck out that were not on my metal magazines as well as a few places where they were .01-.02 inches wider than my CA mags.

Using a piece of 370 grit sandpaper attached to a sanding block, I sanded each of my 7 mags until they fell within the specs of my CA mags. The problem areas seemed to be the high spots on the left and right sides of the magazine as well as high spots caused by the seam on the front and back of the magazine. After a few minutes of sanding each mag, I cleaned off the plastic dust and fit it into my gun to test it, if it still stuck I would keep sanding. All of the magazines now slide easily into the magwell of my gun and lock into place.

While doing this mod, I noticed that because my plastic mags are so much lighter than my metal ones, they do not always slide out of the magwell when the mag release button is pressed. To remedy this, I found some adhesive backed wheel weights that are used to balance tires. I cut these to fit on the bottom of the magazine. They stick well and bring the weight up just enough that the mag slides out every time.

Some things to point out are that in doing this mod will obviously sand down part of you magazine, this changes the finish slightly. I found that the sanded portion of the magazine is not only smoother than the factory finish (not terribly so, just enough that if you run your finger from one section to the other you would notice.) and that the sanded section of the magazine is slightly darker. I don’t mind this color difference as it makes my magazines a bit more “battle worn” but if it really bugs you plastic safe spray paint is not to hard to find.

I will be going out later today to see if I can find the wheel weights at auto zone and if I do, I will let you know how expensive they are.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:56 PM

tacroy00 is a Private
Just an update, Autozone does not sell the tire weights, but by talking to one of the employees at a local auto shop I was able to get some for free.

The kind I was given were 1/4 ounce lead tire / wheel weights with an adhesive backing. I added three of these to the bottom of the rest of my magazines as is pictured above. I then taped them to the magazines so they would not fall off.

If you have any questions about the mod, feel free to ask, I can post pictures of the finished mags as well as the weights.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 PM

MacGyver is a Private
You should add some homemade magpuls (Electrical tape n' zipties) to cover up the tape that secures the weights. Just a thought! ^_~
Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 PM

tacroy00 is a Private
Yup, that is actually just what I did, though I used some gutted 550 and gorilla tape instead.

I'll be fielding all of this gear over the next two weeks in Florida, so I will report back on how it all holds up.

Tags
mag, magazine, midcap, mod, modification

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: