Airsoft Ohio Forums  
  #1  
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Daxter's Avatar
Daxter Daxter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 455
Blog Entries: 5
Daxter is a Private
iTrader: (5)
Im seriously afraid to post threads now

Im seriously freakin out about posting threads now. I spent a good 3 hours trying to make sure that whatever I post in the off topic forums wont get me banned and to be honest my heartrate is climbing right now just from typing. or is that a heart attack waiting to happen? Ive been seeing people who post threads and get banned but I love AO too much to be honest. the people here are truely awesome
__________________
“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.”
― Sun Tzu

I'm an AK purist. Deal with it.

Last edited by Daxter; 04-03-2011 at 10:27 PM.
  #2  
Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 PM
c02's Avatar
c02 c02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 145
c02 is a Private
iTrader: (0)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k
People won't bite (hard anyways)

Last edited by c02; 04-05-2011 at 03:03 PM.
  #3  
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Rowdy's Avatar
Rowdy Rowdy is offline
Utah goat rapist
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mormonville
Posts: 45,273
Rowdy is a Private First Class
iTrader: (5)
well what kind of threads are you looking to post??
  #4  
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Casino's Avatar
Casino Casino is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wooster, Ohio
Posts: 125
Blog Entries: 1
Casino is a Private
iTrader: (0)
The reason people get banned isn't because they post threads, it's because they're dumb. Some highlights:

- Read the rules, and make sure you don't make a post that violates them. We're not asking a whole lot.
- We're not asking you to search every previous post that has the word "Airsoft", just the ones that have a good chance of relating to your topic. Search for 15 minutes on AO, search Google for a while, and if you legitimately cannot find anything (and if its a legitimate question) then ask.
- The mods (contrary to popular airsoft mythology) are not savage child eating dictators. They'll warn you about a post that violates the rules, and they'll tell you why. Don't do it again (because that's how you get banned)
- It's hard to get banned on AO. You basically have to be an idiot.
- Most locked threads violate either opinion or basic rules. People get annoyed because the questions can be found by simply searching. Don't waste our time if you're not willing to waste yours.
-Use discernment in your posts, and your number of posts.
-Be respectful

These are not hard things to do. In fact, most of them require only common sense.

In summary, most people who are banned are banned because they have been repeatedly warned not to be stupid, and yet continue to shine their stupidity on the forum. I'm not sure why you're worried about this.
__________________
Formerly BounDByLighT
  #5  
Old 04-03-2011, 11:27 PM
maglips's Avatar
maglips maglips is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 809
maglips is a Private
iTrader: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BounDByLighT View Post
The reason people get banned isn't because they post threads, it's because they're dumb. Some highlights:

- Read the rules, and make sure you don't make a post that violates them. We're not asking a whole lot.
- We're not asking you to search every previous post that has the word "Airsoft", just the ones that have a good chance of relating to your topic. Search for 15 minutes on AO, search Google for a while, and if you legitimately cannot find anything (and if its a legitimate question) then ask.
- The mods (contrary to popular airsoft mythology) are not savage child eating dictators. They'll warn you about a post that violates the rules, and they'll tell you why. Don't do it again (because that's how you get banned)
- It's hard to get banned on AO. You basically have to be an idiot.
- Most locked threads violate either opinion or basic rules. People get annoyed because the questions can be found by simply searching. Don't waste our time if you're not willing to waste yours.
-Use discernment in your posts, and your number of posts.
-Be respectful

These are not hard things to do. In fact, most of them require only common sense.

In summary, most people who are banned are banned because they have been repeatedly warned not to be stupid, and yet continue to shine their stupidity on the forum. I'm not sure why you're worried about this.
Nice post, that pretty much covers it. Although, I did see Red swallow a newborn whole once
__________________
http://www.321airsoft.com/

Stay in school and you'll do great! And don't forget your vegetables either! - Scorpion
  #6  
Old 04-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Red's Avatar
Red Red is offline
Pro Communitus
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbus
Posts: 2,746
Blog Entries: 6
Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
iTrader: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglips View Post
Nice post, that pretty much covers it. Although, I did see Red swallow a newborn whole once
While this is true, the baby did post an opinion thread.

Boundbylight is absolutely right.

Dax, we take a firm stance with people because we want people to follow the rules. If people follow the rules, things flow MUCH more smoothly around here, and it makes things a lot easier for all of the members.

You won't get banned for posting a thread or something against the rules, UNLESS you really take it too far (instigating flame wars/starting fights, insulting other members, just being a jerk really). The worst thing that will happen is that you'll get an infraction - three infractions is a week ban, four is a month, five is a permaban. So you see, you actually have to accumulate these and pretty much TRY to avoid the rules to get banned.

It's very, very hard to get yourself banned here. The mod staff here is very open about helping people if they have questions. Half of us are in the airsoft industry (or have been), and trust me - to be in the industry, you have to have extreme patience with customers and the guns themselves. We do non-stop customer relations and service, and we're more than happy to help people with their problems/questions. If you ever have questions, feel free to ask any of us. We don't ban people for sending us PMs and asking us questions! :P

-Red
__________________

  #7  
Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Daxter's Avatar
Daxter Daxter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 455
Blog Entries: 5
Daxter is a Private
iTrader: (5)
to be honest, you guys really cleared up a lot of doubt in my mind. Ive always wanted to post something on the FAQ for the new guys. I think as soon as i think of something useful, i will.
__________________
“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.”
― Sun Tzu

I'm an AK purist. Deal with it.
  #8  
Old 04-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Grease Man's Avatar
Grease Man Grease Man is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,265
Blog Entries: 1
Grease Man is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Grease Man
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
We don't ban people for sending us PMs and asking us questions! :P

-Red
I do all the time.
__________________
  #9  
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Red's Avatar
Red Red is offline
Pro Communitus
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbus
Posts: 2,746
Blog Entries: 6
Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
iTrader: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax_7 View Post
to be honest, you guys really cleared up a lot of doubt in my mind. Ive always wanted to post something on the FAQ for the new guys. I think as soon as i think of something useful, i will.
Go for it, man. The more knowledge that's available here for our user base, the better.
__________________

  #10  
Old 04-04-2011, 08:23 PM
gone_devil's Avatar
gone_devil gone_devil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cincy
Posts: 186
gone_devil is a Private
iTrader: (10)
just become friends with the 8th(since they are the mods ) and u can post what u want
  #11  
Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Texx's Avatar
Texx Texx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 4,110
Blog Entries: 2
Texx is a SpecialistTexx is a SpecialistTexx is a Specialist
Send a message via AIM to Texx Send a message via Yahoo to Texx
iTrader: (21)
Dude, you have nothing to worry about, I haven't been a mod in almost two years. AO Mods aren't nearly as strict as I was.

I'm proud of all of them though. Keep fighting the good fight, guys and girl.


No, Red isn't the girl...
__________________
...The universe is a big place. We can't be alone on this tiny blue planet - its own solar system surrounded by billions of solar systems, in a galaxy surrounded by a billion galaxies, infinite combinations of matter and energy with infinite possibilities, and they picked Ben Affleck to play Batman...
  #12  
Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Red's Avatar
Red Red is offline
Pro Communitus
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbus
Posts: 2,746
Blog Entries: 6
Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
iTrader: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_devil View Post
just become friends with the 8th(since they are the mods ) and u can post what u want
We have a few on the mod staff, but there's SPEAR, TAC, there was a striker, you've got the site admin on stormblade (and actually had 1-2 more if IIRC), you had a 97th rep who is now a striker, you had some random guy from wisconsin named Texx.

Really, anyone who's capable of the patience, has the knowledge, and has a good sense of judgment can become a moderator. There's just an extremely small amount of people who have those qualities who actually want to do the job - smart people don't want to be mods, because they know it's a thankless job and brings you quite a few more enemies than friends
__________________

  #13  
Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
CTU_Davis's Avatar
CTU_Davis CTU_Davis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 256
Blog Entries: 9
CTU_Davis is a Private
Send a message via AIM to CTU_Davis Send a message via Skype™ to CTU_Davis
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_devil View Post
just become friends with the 8th(since they are the mods ) and u can post what u want
Kidding or not, that's really a poor attitude to have about the whole thing.

It's not a matter of getting in good with those in charge. Just don't act like a retard.

Also:

We president now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebely View Post
And I think if anyone CTU gets credit for being the one to originally own weird African ****. The guy was born with a FAL in one hand and the complete box set of Sailor Moon in the other.

Last edited by CTU_Davis; 04-04-2011 at 11:23 PM.
  #14  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:11 AM
ViciousT33Bagg's Avatar
ViciousT33Bagg ViciousT33Bagg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brookville, OH
Posts: 252
ViciousT33Bagg is a Recruit Private
iTrader: (11)
Even postimg a comment that someone doesn't like will also get you a bad Rep. For instances, the thread was about noobs going to MILSIMs as a first event, I stated that it happened to me and it pissed me off so I don't recommend noobs going to a Milsim as their first event. So someone decided to give me a bad rep because of my opinion which is not right, it was a thread about opinions. if you want to see what I'm talking about just look at my profile at the bottom.
__________________
History is written by the victors.
Winston Churchill

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Winston Churchill


UrbanWarriorsTech@hotmail.com
  #15  
Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 AM
Darkstar's Avatar
Darkstar Darkstar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,188
Darkstar is a SpecialistDarkstar is a Specialist
Send a message via AIM to Darkstar
iTrader: (1)
I wouldn't discourage a new player from going to a Milsim event. BUT, I WOULD recommend that they properly prepare themselves before they go. That would mean at least buying a full set of BDU's and boots, and not running onto the field in jeans and a sweatshirt (looking like said Noob!). It also doesn't hurt to have a tac vest, etc. But, that's just my opinion (oops!).

Honestly though, the real opinion threads that cause problems are going to be the ones asking "Wut am teh bestest gun?!?!" or "What upgrades should I get for meh gunz??". The reason why is because EVERYONE is going to have a completely different answer, leading to infinite possibilities for the OP and possibly leaving them even more confused than before they originally asked.

The next issue with opinion threads is ALL ABOUT POLITICS!!! One person posts their opinion, and then another person who disagrees with the first person posts their opinion, while simultaneously ripping the anus out of the first opinion, while also simultaneously insulting about 20 people's moms and pissing 67 people off at the same time. Repeat about 20 or 34 times, and the next thing you know, flaming Jheri curl cream and latex panties are shooting all over the place, fists are flying, people start flaming each other and all hell breaks loose, and then the mods have to step in and shut things down. That's the reason why opinion threads are generally frowned upon. Opinions are kind of like armpits. Everyone has them, and sometimes they stink.

But, with all that being said, it IS possible to word a question in the proper way to request logical opinion replies. And it's also possible to post an opinion, but you need to also back that opinion up with reliable data and supporting references. As long as the said opinion positively supports the topic and spirit of the thread, then it's usually accepted. Yes, it may be a fine line to walk, but once you've been around for a while, you should be able to get the hang of it.
__________________
Im a complete loser.
Hobbies include:
-Stalking playgrounds
-Wearing fishnets
-Autoerrotic asphyxiation

Last edited by Darkstar; 04-05-2011 at 05:34 AM.
  #16  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
M.afaqanjum228 M.afaqanjum228 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 0
M.afaqanjum228 is a Private
iTrader: (0)
They'll warn you about a post that violates the rules, and they'll tell you why. Don't do it again (because that's how you get banned)
- It's hard to get banned on AO. You basically have to be an idiot.then it's usually accepted. Yes, it may be a fine line to walk, but once you've been around for a while, you should be able to get the hang of it.
__________________
  #17  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Zero's Avatar
Zero Zero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 614
Posts: 419
Blog Entries: 2
Zero is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Zero
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousT33Bagg View Post
Even postimg a comment that someone doesn't like will also get you a bad Rep. For instances, the thread was about noobs going to MILSIMs as a first event, I stated that it happened to me and it pissed me off so I don't recommend noobs going to a Milsim as their first event. So someone decided to give me a bad rep because of my opinion which is not right, it was a thread about opinions. if you want to see what I'm talking about just look at my profile at the bottom.
Tell me a legitimate reason as to how your post (viewable here http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=28
) adds anything to the thread, or better yet, conveys any thought at all, and then ask yourself if Torque's neg rep was truly not warranted.

Airsoft Ohio does not regulate the ideologies of its members, it simply asks that you do not post volatile opinions which will likely start flame wars, or topics that have no definite answer. When you post something that adds absolutely nothing useful and makes no sense to a thread, you should expect that members that have the ability to give reputation will use their power negatively towards you. It happens to everyone. You just have to think before posting.
__________________
Then outspake brave Horatius,
The captain of the gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds
For the ashes of his fathers
And the temples of his gods?"


Last edited by Zero; 04-05-2011 at 02:46 PM.
  #18  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:53 PM
c02's Avatar
c02 c02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 145
c02 is a Private
iTrader: (0)
Don't feel too bad ... I got my first warning today. lol

First time in 15+ years and probably 100 message boards/bbs that I've received a warning.
  #19  
Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Fox's Avatar
Fox Fox is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Zanzibar Land
Posts: 3,263
Blog Entries: 2
Fox is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox Send a message via Yahoo to Fox
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_devil View Post
just become friends with the 8th(since they are the mods ) and u can post what u want
We are some of the mods, not all.

No matter who the mods are, there are still a set of rules, friends or not. I treat my friends, team mates and people I don't know all the same, ask anyone. (I've even banned a team mate before.)

By the way, work on your spelling and grammar, or you will receive an infraction for it.

Cheers,
~Fox
__________________
"Nope" ~ Grumpy Cat

Team Leader, 08th Expeditionary Unit
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." ~ Lao Tzu
  #20  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
c02's Avatar
c02 c02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 145
c02 is a Private
iTrader: (0)
You all should add double posting as a rule if your going to give warnings for them though. As well as an exemption for people who are doing review-like posts (as double, triple, quadruple, etc posting is common in such a case)
  #21  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Fox's Avatar
Fox Fox is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Zanzibar Land
Posts: 3,263
Blog Entries: 2
Fox is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox Send a message via Yahoo to Fox
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c02 View Post
You all should add double posting as a rule if your going to give warnings for them though. As well as an exemption for people who are doing review-like posts (as double, triple, quadruple, etc posting is common in such a case)
Reviews are always in a different class of their own.

If you do not like the rules, please PM me about it. Side tracking a post is not a place to post grievances.


~Fox
__________________
"Nope" ~ Grumpy Cat

Team Leader, 08th Expeditionary Unit
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." ~ Lao Tzu
  #22  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
c02's Avatar
c02 c02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 145
c02 is a Private
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Reviews are always in a different class of their own.

If you do not like the rules, please PM me about it. Side tracking a post is not a place to post grievances.


~Fox

Where in my post does it state I don't like the rules or I'm grieving?
Can't we have humorous or playful conversations without getting serious?

I didn't see the "No double post" rule at first and thought you should add it. That's my bad. But I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, disobedient, or publicly filing a grievance.

I was being playful (hence the smiley face) It just seems like people take things a little too seriously at times and/or assume the worse out of people.
  #23  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Fox's Avatar
Fox Fox is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Zanzibar Land
Posts: 3,263
Blog Entries: 2
Fox is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox Send a message via Yahoo to Fox
iTrader: (2)
Let's take this from my perspective.

You are new to the forum, 6 days to be exact. With in those 6 days you've managed 50 posts, which in the volume of posts on this forum, is a lot of posts. So naturally, you've already drawn attention, beyond that you have not stepped back and looked for any 'normal' things going on in the forums. Thus, why I gave you a warning (note: not an infraction) about just posting, instead of editing a post. Beyond that, you question why and you say your not serious. I don't know your not serious, you're too knew to the forums. To me you could just have a fetish with smiley faces or such.

Why I say grieving, specifically, is you questioned why I gave you a warning, in a PM. Then you came on here, and in a counter to my post which had nothing to do with you, again brought the subject up. Perhaps it's just me and my line of work, but when someone brings something to my attention multiple times, it means they're upset at something. As I said, if you don't like it and don't like my handling of it, PM me. Right here is not the place for it.

And just putting this out there so we can get this thread rolling back on track - if people have questions, complaints, comments, etc. About the forum rules or moderation, please drop me a PM. It's why I'm here. I can't watch everything, I can't get everyone's opinion all at once and I really can't make everyone happy. If you have something that needs to be heard: Never be afraid of the mod team. (Or at least me.)

Also to relieve some other concerns, you may notice people just ending up banned here or there after a post. If you read their post, it's very generic and they end with a link that has nothing to do with airsoft. These are a new style of spam bots, they try to blend in then get you to click their link. That's why they're banned.

Hope it helps,
~Fox
__________________
"Nope" ~ Grumpy Cat

Team Leader, 08th Expeditionary Unit
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." ~ Lao Tzu
  #24  
Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Grease Man's Avatar
Grease Man Grease Man is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,265
Blog Entries: 1
Grease Man is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Grease Man
iTrader: (7)
C02,

Unfortunately there are some unwritten rules that are common among forums, hence, usually why warnings are given.

Some of these include necroposting and double posts. This is why we generally tell new people to sit back and see how the forum is run.

Like everyone else said, its hard to get banned on AO, you really have to try. The mods will always discuss any infractions or warnings given.

AirsoftOhio is VERY strict and ask a lot from its members. Of all the forums I am on, it is by far the most strict, however, its the best ran forum. While AirsoftOhio IS NOT a democracy, the rules are largely in place based on member input and previous experience.
__________________
  #25  
Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
ViciousT33Bagg's Avatar
ViciousT33Bagg ViciousT33Bagg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brookville, OH
Posts: 252
ViciousT33Bagg is a Recruit Private
iTrader: (11)
That person was asking for an OPINION so I gave mine. So Torque was in the wrong. Ill tell you how it contributes, take alook at the question that was asked... If you have no idea how a MILSIM is ran and you being a noob and go to one as your first game it will piss you off cause it happen to me. I didnt appreciate the COs yelling and screaming and name callling and all the other BS that goes along with MILSIM. But now that I have been playing for a while that part of MILSIM doesnt bother me anymore. So my point was as a noob I wouldnt recommend going to a MILSIM event at first. There was no reason for him to do that, it wasnt even his thread. There are alot of post and threads out there that make me mad and that contributes nothing to the airsoft world, you dont see me going around and bashing them or posting neg rep on them, no I dont because people like to talk and have fun in forums. If people start posting threads like this stating that they are scared to post anything because they dont want to end up getting banned, then thats the time for the MODS to stop and wonder what is being done wrong thats makes people scared to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Tell me a legitimate reason as to how your post (viewable here http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=28
) adds anything to the thread, or better yet, conveys any thought at all, and then ask yourself if Torque's neg rep was truly not warranted.

Airsoft Ohio does not regulate the ideologies of its members, it simply asks that you do not post volatile opinions which will likely start flame wars, or topics that have no definite answer. When you post something that adds absolutely nothing useful and makes no sense to a thread, you should expect that members that have the ability to give reputation will use their power negatively towards you. It happens to everyone. You just have to think before posting.
__________________
History is written by the victors.
Winston Churchill

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Winston Churchill


UrbanWarriorsTech@hotmail.com
Closed Thread

Tags
heart rate

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Airsoft Guns, Tactical Gear, Military Gear, Ohio Airsoft Retailer

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2005 - 2009 Airsoft Ohio