Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 03-13-2015, 03:43 PM

TommyTuba is a Recruit Private
Ohio Looks at Airsoft Restrictions

http://www.whio.com/news/ap/ohio/ohi...ke-guns/nkWDd/

Any thoughts on this? I think it's ridiculous to enforce this. As one of the comments observed, what's to stop criminals from painting a real gun orange? What, like a police officer isn't going to shoot you then? Come on!!

It's time for all of US to take responsibility for our OWN actions. When are we going to start blaming ourselves (as a society) and stop blaming others for our own dumb crap mistakes??

Omnis Cedo Domus- Everyone Goes Home
Blind Fury 7, 8, OP: Hope, OP: Flashover
Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 PM

Falcon is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Falcon
Same ****; new year.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Same ****; new year.
That may very well be....but this time around they have public opinion on their side and stupid people in Beavercreek and Cleveland bringing bad names upon us. I am just interested in what everyone thinks and what we, as a community, should start thinking about.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:28 AM

Jarhead27 is a Private
This is absolutely ridiculous. 1.don't carry guns in public places if not necessary 2. Drop the gun when an officer tells you, do not point it at him you just might die.3 the parents should have the $#!t smacked out of them for buying it for them and not showing them safe gun practices. This ban on airsoft guns and real guns is a bunch of bull $#!t. Guns arenot weapons knifes and swords aren't weapons. The real weapon is your mind those are all just tools. anyone can kill with their bare hands if they had the proper knowledge. Look how many people died back when the Romans and Spartans and all those guys were at war. How many shots were fired.... not a single one. F the government
Old 03-15-2015, 11:53 AM

MrCODAddiction is a Private
I think the problem is the non airsofters who just happen to own a look-alike and there ignorant self gets shot.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCODAddiction View Post
I think the problem is the non airsofters who just happen to own a look-alike and there ignorant self gets shot.
I agree. I don't believe that anyone of "us" would do these things. The problems arises when the "non-airsofters" do this crap and we end up paying for it. Since you live close by, you know that the Beavercreek incident was the suspect picking up an in-store gun.

As I stated earlier, the issue that we need to understand is that once public opinion forms, it is very hard to argue with anyone who feels that "these" guns should be restricted.

And btw Jarhead...SPOT ON!!

Old 03-15-2015, 06:47 PM

Hoss is a Private
Well, if this does pass what should we expect? What will we have to do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2015, 09:44 PM

Falcon is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Falcon
Comply... definitely comply... yeah, that's it...
Old 03-15-2015, 10:10 PM

migfin is a Private
My opinion on this whole ordeal is that we should (and for most if not all of us we already do) treat our Airsoft guns like real firearms. Aka, don't be a dumb *** with them. I think if anyone is caught being a complete retard with them, then yes, I believe that that INDIVIDUAL should be punished by law enforcement as if it were a real firearm. Otherwise for the many of us that are careful and smart with the handling of our Airsoft guns, should not be punished for the dumb $#īts who do what dumb $#īts do.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:54 AM

Hoss is a Private
Ohio Looks at Airsoft Restrictions

As far as I can tell though, the bill doesn't seem to change anything for smart airsofters. We can still have out guns without orange flash hiders and brightly colored parts as long as we treat them like real firearms when transporting them. Just don't have them out in public. Most of us do this now anyways.

My question is, if we're we pulled over going to an event, would we get in trouble for having them. I always let law enforcement know if/when I get pulled over if I have an airsoft gun in the trunk. Understand I have only been pulled over twice but still, they never care.

Will this bill honestly change anything for smart airsofters? Other than buying non brightly colored parts to swap out on our guns... Or I could be completely wrong... Lol

Last edited by Hoss; 03-17-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:22 PM

epicfacethe3rd is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
As far as I can tell though, the bill doesn't seem to change anything for smart airsofters. We can still have out guns without orange flash hiders and brightly colored parts as long as we treat them like real firearms when transporting them. Just don't have them out in public. Most of us do this now anyways.
My question is, if we're we pulled over going to an event, would we get in trouble for having them. I always let law enforcement know if/when I get pulled over if I have an airsoft gun in the trunk. Understand I have only been pulled over twice but still, they never care.
Will this bill honestly change anything for smart airsofters? Other than buying non brightly colored parts to swap out on our guns... Or I could be completely wrong... Lol

well, you are completely wrong. the legislation, as stated before, wants it to be as hard as possible to remove the colored parts.

now for those of you who want to fix this?
grassroots campaign time.
we need to get as many people as possible to contact their local lawmaker to say a solid "no" on the bill. call them up and tell them about the absurdity of the bill. your congressman (probably) doesn't visit these forums, so the best way to inform lawmakers about it is to call/email/tweet/mail them. hell, what i'm planning on doing? emailing my local counsel like hell, distribute an article on the matter, publish an editorial in our local paper, email an editorial to our city reps, email our lawmakers, and finally bring it up at a city counsel meeting in full boy scout uniform (I am one) along with as many reputable, responsible, players I can find in my area to speak on the matter as well and point out it's folly. i'll be dammed if i let it happen in my city.

"if it doesn't work, kick it. hard."
Callsign: "Zero"
Old 03-16-2015, 11:53 PM

Razor11 is a Private
Since this whio's report and I watch them all the time. Even dealing with them at my work. Has anyone thought about inviting them to do a story on airsoft?

Last edited by Razor11; 03-17-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:52 PM

I definitely think that we need some sort of grass roots movement and Razor, that is a wonderful idea. We need to have some positive light on the sport of airsoft, including the potential financial impact of such restrictions.

Guys, I am not imparting "doom and gloom" on our beloved sport. However, we DO need to start thinking about what to do and how to defeat this bill if it passes the committees. The problem IS, airsoft IS tied to guns, which will invoke 2nd Amendment discussion and then the "loonies" on both sides will come out of the wood work.

We, the respectful and law abiding airsoft community just needs to be prepared.

OH...and this, "it will never happen" thought process is EXACTLY what the British thought in 1774.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 PM

GreenKnight101 is a Private
Thats not a terrible idea Razor, maybe we could all get together and set up a game at I70 or maybe at Springfield
Cyma M14 -back in my hands after a 1 year hiatus-
EF PPQ -gone-
WE Not a Glock 18 -traded-
KJW G19 -for sale-
LCT AK74
CZ75 P01
CA MP5A3
KWA MAC10 -stolen-
when in doubt , mag dump
Old 03-17-2015, 08:34 PM

Razor11 is a Private
That's what I was thinking. We need to get the owners to let them report when we have a big event. I have seen other news stations talk about it on YouTube.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Rygar is a Private
do your research on exactly WHO will be doing the story if you can manage to get someone to cover it. The last thing we need is to have someone with a bias AGAINST airsoft guns to be welcomed to come and do a story that makes things even worse!!
-------------------------
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 PM

Razor11 is a Private
Well if reporters are doing it then they just tell the facts. They will come up with a title and everything. As long as we show the fun times it brings then we can put some ideas to rest and get some on our side.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 PM
Airsoft Prophet

RotaryProphet is a Private
I don't think reporters have been in the "fact" business for 40 or 50 years.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:40 PM

nickb45502 is a Private
Here is where I think we should be as a community. IF we can get together as a community of people in the state that care about this issue (already done) then we could maybe get the the press to come out to one or two of the big state events this year (blind fury and something like crux or any OOBI event come to mind) then we have a fighting chance. What we need to realize is that to get this out there sufficiently you need to have more than one form of press, so all media, weather it be digital or print or television cover it. Honestly the best thing to do would be to have some press people strap on some goggles and some pads and head out into the field so they can see how professional we can take this as a sport. They need to see a whole day, from set up to teardown of or gear, how we set it up, how we lock it away etc. so that the general public can see that there are law abiding citizens in the state that participate in our sport.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:37 AM

Razor11 is a Private
Plus the field owners could as use it as advertisement to promote the fields. And maybe eventually get big time events here too.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:28 PM

Razor11 is a Private
When I say facts I mean truth about airsoft. The good parts we tell them. If they are just talk about the subject then maybe some bad facts will be replaced with good ones

Last edited by Razor11; 03-18-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:43 PM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
Parents are the problem here.

No guns, no learning, no safety.

Doesn't anyone ever hear, "Didn't your parents teach you better than that?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Thus marketh the only time anyone hath used the search feature on AO
in 2Tall's basement doing things
Old 03-19-2015, 09:59 PM

epicfacethe3rd is a Private
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor11 View Post
Since this whio's report and I watch them all the time. Even dealing with them at my work. Has anyone thought about inviting them to do a story on airsoft?
bad, BAD idea. the media is already looking at airsoft as a scapegoat. if you were going to do something like that, make sure
1. the only people in the news report are people who are part of the sport RESPONSIBLY.
2. make sure all interviewed focus on maturity of most airsoft players, including the organization of the sport. (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52311)
3. make sure that from the moment you call the station to the moment they leave and never come back you are as responsible, logical, and ethical as humanly possible
4. make sure everyone uses the interview as a chance to do part of the following:
- point out how badly tamir rice's decisions were made and video showing him pointing airsoft gun at people
- point out frivolousness of new law and how rel guns can be painted pink
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE IT AS A PERSONAL SOAPBOX!
- do some form of community service project if it is a team being interviewed
5. if there is an eagle scout there, GET HIM INTERVIEWED. eagle scouts are still held in our society to be the pinnacle of responsibility. anything an eagle scout does is automatically responsible in the eyes of most people (a logical untruth, but it helps anyways.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar View Post
do your research on exactly WHO will be doing the story if you can manage to get someone to cover it. The last thing we need is to have someone with a bias AGAINST airsoft guns to be welcomed to come and do a story that makes things even worse!!
I believe that fox news did something to prove Mr. Rice actually had to spend some effort getting the tip off by whacking the barrel or something like that, to prove that he deserved a Darwin award. that's your best bet for someone with a good bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb45502 View Post
Here is where I think we should be as a community. IF we can get together as a community of people in the state that care about this issue (already done) then we could maybe get the the press to come out to one or two of the big state events this year (blind fury and something like crux or any OOBI event come to mind) then we have a fighting chance. What we need to realize is that to get this out there sufficiently you need to have more than one form of press, so all media, weather it be digital or print or television cover it. Honestly the best thing to do would be to have some press people strap on some goggles and some pads and head out into the field so they can see how professional we can take this as a sport. They need to see a whole day, from set up to teardown of or gear, how we set it up, how we lock it away etc. so that the general public can see that there are law abiding citizens in the state that participate in our sport.
damn that's a long quote. that's a good idea too, but if you go to the wrong people, they could try to portray you as ISIS in training. rules 1-5 still apply here, but assuming you followed those rules, that could work perfectly.
TL, DR:
go to fox news, get them to strap on GoPros for a major event, possibly hand them a gun or give them NonCom duties (medic, Sherpa/mule if you don't like them, ect.), follow rules 1-5 (above)

"if it doesn't work, kick it. hard."
Callsign: "Zero"

Last edited by epicfacethe3rd; 03-19-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:18 AM

Razor11 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfacethe3rd View Post
bad, BAD idea. the media is already looking at airsoft as a scapegoat. if you were going to do something like that, make sure
1. the only people in the news report are people who are part of the sport RESPONSIBLY.
2. make sure all interviewed focus on maturity of most airsoft players, including the organization of the sport. (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52311)
3. make sure that from the moment you call the station to the moment they leave and never come back you are as responsible, logical, and ethical as humanly possible
4. make sure everyone uses the interview as a chance to do part of the following:
- point out how badly tamir rice's decisions were made and video showing him pointing airsoft gun at people
- point out frivolousness of new law and how rel guns can be painted pink
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE IT AS A PERSONAL SOAPBOX!
- do some form of community service project if it is a team being interviewed
5. if there is an eagle scout there, GET HIM INTERVIEWED. eagle scouts are still held in our society to be the pinnacle of responsibility. anything an eagle scout does is automatically responsible in the eyes of most people (a logical untruth, but it helps anyways.)

I believe that fox news did something to prove Mr. Rice actually had to spend some effort getting the tip off by whacking the barrel or something like that, to prove that he deserved a Darwin award. that's your best bet for someone with a good bias.

damn that's a long quote. that's a good idea too, but if you go to the wrong people, they could try to portray you as ISIS in training. rules 1-5 still apply here, but assuming you followed those rules, that could work perfectly.
TL, DR:
go to fox news, get them to strap on GoPros for a major event, possibly hand them a gun or give them NonCom duties (medic, Sherpa/mule if you don't like them, ect.), follow rules 1-5 (above)
That's what I basically said without being so long. Do a story about airsoft that we invite them to. Wouldn't that mean we are responsible?

So yeah let's get them to do a story.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:56 AM

Hoss is a Private
Not to be a wrench in the gears here but who would be in charge of doing all of this? I'm talking about, who will be talking and contacting the reporter/news to see if they wanted to do a story. Also, couldn't this backfire if they do end up coming to an event and something bad happens to a player? I understand that we would all be mature but it might get a dangerous or immature "tag" if they come out and a player overheats or gets seriously hurt. I'm just looking at this from a different angle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: