Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 PM

Private Snowball is a Private
Gears spin, but don't pick up piston help?

Dear Airsoft Ohio, I have a completely stock King Arms M4A1 that I successfully rewired to the rear. However, what was supposed to be a ten minute rewire job turned into a four hour problem. The problem started when I had put my gearbox back together to test my workmanship after rewiring my gun. The problem that arose was that my gun's gears were cycling, but the sector gear seems to not pick up and pull back the piston like it should. It also made a very high pitched squeal as if the motor height was too high, but upon adjustment of the motor height, it did not fix the problem. My gun's piston is in perfect shape. I.E. no wear, not stripped, etc. The only thing I did notice was the lack of oil in the cylinder and that the O-ring was rather worn out. However, it was to my judgement that this could not be the source of the piston not even being picked up by the gears. If anyone out here knows the source of the problem or have experienced this, do help please. Thanks!

Past events, Red Dragon open (STACC, SPEAR, SWORD), Op. Braaaaaains, Op. Gecko, Op. Iron Harvest, Op. Mud balls, Op. Dark Horizons, Op. Centaur Strike, Op. Spider Web, Dark Horizons prequel (05/05/12), Op. Crucible, OLCMSS Northern Light III, OP. Quick and Dirty, Calamityville inaugural open, OP. Frozen Sepulcher.
Future events:
Op. Nomad, Op. Blackgate, OLCMSS Northern Light IV
Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 PM

slowridn73 is a Private
is there any wear on the motor pinion gear?

Last edited by slowridn73; 03-03-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 PM

TommyTuba is a Recruit Private
If you took the gearbox apart, then I would bet that a shim was either lost of double stacked somewhere else. I would take a look there and then see what's up..

Omnis Cedo Domus- Everyone Goes Home
Blind Fury 7, 8, OP: Hope, OP: Flashover
Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowridn73 View Post
is there any wear on the motor pinion gear?
No, the motor is fairly new. I actually accidentally broke the pin that holds a bushing in the original SHS HT motor and was going to replace that plate with a spare but I had the same motor in another build and placed that motor into the gun to test. But no, no visible wear is present on the pinion, gears, or even the piston. I also took great care to make sure no shims were lost on the gears or misplaced. They should all be there. I took it apart again today to see if I could source the problem, but with no avail, I have not been able to solve it. My concern is that maybe the piston for some reason is too far into the cylinder, but I have no reason to explain why as this has never happened when this gun was used previously as this is the very first time I've even opened this particular gearbox.

Past events, Red Dragon open (STACC, SPEAR, SWORD), Op. Braaaaaains, Op. Gecko, Op. Iron Harvest, Op. Mud balls, Op. Dark Horizons, Op. Centaur Strike, Op. Spider Web, Dark Horizons prequel (05/05/12), Op. Crucible, OLCMSS Northern Light III, OP. Quick and Dirty, Calamityville inaugural open, OP. Frozen Sepulcher.
Future events:
Old 03-03-2013, 04:46 PM

slowridn73 is a Private
try taking it apart, assembling the gears and the piston and cylinder on half the gearbox shell and turning everything to see where your piston and gears are making contact (if at all), then take your piston and cylinder out and put the other half of the shell together, you should be able to put your finger in through the cylinder window and spin the gears with your finger, you should get a smooth rotation with at least one full revolution, this will tell you if there is a problem with the gear set.

If you want to take it a little further leave out the cylinder but put the wiring back in and install the grip and the motor. Use the trigger to turn the motor over and listen for any strange sounds, in this configuration your gears and motor should be very quiet, any straining or high pitched sounds (other than the normal motor sounds) will indicate a problem.

The only other things I have ever seen would be when reassembling an M60 the piston kept rolling over and getting off the tracks but in that instance the gearbox wouldn't fully close. The other would be failure of plastic bushings for the gears but I dont think anybody runs them from the factory anymore (as far as higher end companies)
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM

Regan is a Private
Either your gearbox wasn't closed correctly and the piston is not gliding in the piston racks of the gearbox, or you stripped a gear.

Open up the gearbox and take the top shell off with the airnozzle pointing to the right. Take the spring and the spring guide out and put the piston all the way forward, spin the sector gear to make sure you are making contact with the piston rack.

Check your bevel gear to see if it is making contact with your spurr gear and then spurr gear to sector gear. Then sector gear to piston, with the piston starting all the way forward.

Sent from my TI-84 texas instrument.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 AM

Problem solved! Gearbox shell was not closed all the way. My stock KA plastic spring guide is what is believed to be the problem. I replaced it with a metal G&G one and the gearbox closed properly. Thank you all for your inputs and advice.

Future events:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: