Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 03-26-2010, 02:43 PM

NickP is a Private
Cool Another generic intro thread

Hello guys, my name is Nick Phillips. Im 17 turning 18 this may 5th. For several years now ive debated begging to play air soft and ive decided I wish to start this spring. I came here thanks to a google search and this seems like a good place to ask questions and get answers.

If you dont mind I would like to bombard this forum with questions right now.

Are there any teams in the Akron area ? I reside in Tallmadge.

How do I go about joining a team?

Any good stores in the area to buy guns or should I go online?

I sort of want to be a sniper but is this good for someone who is just starting? I do hunt so I am a good shot if i do say so myself.

What are good sites to get guns ? I sort of need allot of help in this area? If you guys would be so kind as to tell me what I should be looking for in a gun I would be so grateful! Ive got about a $200 budget for a gun right now and if im debating a sniper rifle or a Assault rifle.

Help me please lol
Old 03-26-2010, 02:48 PM

mac50 is a Private
If you're good, teams will ask you to join.
Everybody wants to be a sniper. Bad idea, just get an AEG and play some games first, then decide if you want to be a sniper. Being a good shot doesn't necessarily mean much in airsoft. The guns aren't rifles and th eBB can be affected by wind and foliage. 150 ft is about the max range with any sort of accuracy.
Any gun you can get at a store ( Walmart or ****'s) will not be worth it. There are several good stores in Ohio that sell online as well being a walk in store.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Loose is a Private
Do not get a Sniper Rifle as a starter weapon. There's a lot of reasons why I say this, though I really don't wanna go into specifics. Just trust me when I say that I would never recommend a sniper rifle as a first weapon.

As for AEG's within your budget, you're prolly stuck getting a clone. I would recommend a JG or an A&K. CYMA makes a good M14 and AK line. What look are going for (Gun type)?AirsoftGI is good site to look at, they carry lots of guns, site's easy to navigate and are cheap on prices.

AirsoftGI
http://www.airsoftgi.com/
Old 03-27-2010, 06:59 PM

Archer is a Private
if you really wanna be a sniper id look into getting a m14 or sr25 or even a m16 and making some modifications to it such as adding a scope and taking off the iron sights on it
Old 03-27-2010, 07:19 PM

Desert-Fox is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf0921 View Post
Do not get a Sniper Rifle as a starter weapon. There's a lot of reasons why I say this, though I really don't wanna go into specifics. Just trust me when I say that I would never recommend a sniper rifle as a first weapon.

As for AEG's within your budget, you're prolly stuck getting a clone. I would recommend a JG or an A&K. CYMA makes a good M14 and AK line. What look are going for (Gun type)?AirsoftGI is good site to look at, they carry lots of guns, site's easy to navigate and are cheap on prices.

AirsoftGI
http://www.airsoftgi.com/
I'd personally steer away from JG and AK for starter weapons. For something that will last you a long time and be fairly reliable, I'd go with an ECHO 1. They will be at the top of your price range, but they are worth it.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old 03-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Loose is a Private
JG is the OEM for the majority of Echo 1's models. And A&K's new line is solid. Full metal M4/M16 variants with great externals, that chrono in around the 450's (I would suggest dropping to 400). And all of their models are priced around the 200 mark.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Sunshine is a Private
On Evike, or also know as airsoftpost.com, D-Boys has some good full metal guns like their SCARs or their M4s for under $180.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:59 PM

NickP is a Private
Hey guys thanks for the Replys, after some thought I have chose not to go with a Sniper, maybe if i stay with it for a while then I will expand my armory.

Ive been looking into doing some World War 2 style battle, I like the STG44 (mp44) here are some I found online do they look good to you guys?

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=5210
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=5303

I only wonder is the bottom linked on an extra $50 because of the wooden stock? Must have been cut from a magic tree lol.

If i choose to get this gun what BB's should i get I read using wal-mart brand BB's will ruin your gun?

Also I would like to re-ask my question on teams? Can I just show up to a event with a gun and play with anyone or do I need to look into joining a Team? Again I live in the Akron area if there are any nearby teams that hold battles or practices can you guys tell me so I can go meet with them?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Eightball is a Recruit Private
As far as teams go to Community and click on airsoft teams.
With the BB's I'd play it safe and buy them with the gun, or from a dealer in Ohio.
Im not a fan of WW2 German guns, but I'd buy it if I was.

Hope this helped
Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 PM

NickP is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genovese View Post
With the BB's I'd play it safe and buy them with the gun, or from a dealer in Ohio.

Hope this helped
Im just trying to find out what size BB or grade to buy? Does it say on that page?

It has thank you sir!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 PM

Eightball is a Recruit Private
Avoid .12s at all cost, for an AEG I'd use .20s, or .25s.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 PM

NickP is a Private
Can I ask of the .20 or .25 which is better? Also can i purchase these at wal-mart or do I need to hit the internet/or/specialty airsoft store?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 PM

Anteater is a Private
If you order your gun from airsoftgi, which I would highly recommend, you mide as well get your BB's from there too. All of the brands they carry are high grade BB's. And, as Genovese said, go with .20-.25 grams. Also, I live in Wadsworth, but there doesn't really seem to be any teams near us. Team Shadow Legion held open plays at Walsh Farms, but I'm not 100% sure what happened to them.

As far as actual walk in stores go, the closest are Airsoft Arms and Airsoft Smith which are in Cinci and Columbus respectively, so I get most of my gear online, although my g36 is at Airsoft Smith right now getting some new internals.

In response to your question, .20s go faster than .25s, and sometimes farther, but .25s are more accurate because wind affects them less. As for getting them at walmart, you can't, but you can get very good quality brands off of airsoftgi.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texx View Post
Also, you will not be buying a Cybergun Product which means you'll go to heaven when you die. At the very least, you will be getting 77 virgins.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 PM

NickP is a Private
Okay I believe this basically answers most all of my questions. I would have to guess there are a fair amount of air-soft players in the Akron area so ill just have to keep my ears open on here for info. If you can get me some time and dates on the walsh farm airsoft stuff when you find out I would appreciate that too

Old 03-27-2010, 10:09 PM

Anteater is a Private
I don't think they are doing events at Walsh Farms anymore, although I could be wrong. Anyone able to confirm?

Quote:
Also, you will not be buying a Cybergun Product which means you'll go to heaven when you die. At the very least, you will be getting 77 virgins.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 PM

Location: A land of superior apathy, also known as Cincinnati
Spectre is a Private First Class
There's some awfully shaky "advice" going down in this thread.

Nick, for one, buy local and avoid companies such as A&K JG AGM and the like. JG's are NOT OEM build ups for Echo1s. That is a myth that started early and never died. Local stores will give you the best customer service and quality control over large out of state retailers. Stores like Evike and even ASGI (in recent years) have become notorious for screwing their customers both financially and through their service. The best bang for your buck will be the newer 2009-2010 Classic Army AEGs. They provide an extremely solid build, decent internal components and wiring, and are all available locally by shops that will give you assistance in any problems you may witness. Out of state retailers can not claim this. I've owned a few CAs and I have little quarrel over them, many of my teammates now use them as well.

ICS is also an excellent brand for their M16 line-up. However, both ICS and CA will cost generally more than $250. Its worth your time to save the extra cash and purchase the gun that will prove more reliable and of higher quality. WWII guns are neat, but internal/external parts, magazines, and sometimes batteries can be difficult to find for them. Modern equivalent replica guns are your friend, and there is a reason they are preferred by most of the community.

For local sites:
www.airsoftsmith.com
www.321airsoft.com
www.airsoftarms.com

With respect to teams, weekend warrior "teams" crop up everywhere, but the major operating teams on the field are highly selective for their players. The general consensus about them are "don't call us, we'll call you." Play well and have a good attitude and someone will take notice.

This site also has a search function and threads that span all the way back to 2003. Any bit of information you wish to find is already available here, you simply need to read and search the blogs. Please search the question thoroughly before you ask it.

I've been playing this sport since 2003. So 2010-2003, we'll say a conservative estimate of six years. I speak with the owners of the shops I posted regularly, and sometimes several times a week. I do my own gun tech and have been for years. My knowledge is fairly well founded. I hope you will heed my advice.

Best regards and welcome to AO,
SPECTRE

Last edited by Spectre; 03-27-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 AM

mac50 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post

Also I would like to re-ask my question on teams? Can I just show up to a event with a gun and play with anyone or do I need to look into joining a Team? Again I live in the Akron area if there are any nearby teams that hold battles or practices can you guys tell me so I can go meet with them?
Yes you can show up to an event with a gun and play. I would look at the AO rules ( do a search for them here) They are pretty generic but almost all games use these. I'd look into open plays to get your feet wet and some experience. Events are listed on the calendar on the home page. Probably the closest field to you is BTT in Medina. They are having 2 build days and a build /play day next month. These are listed in the calendar Pretty much all of the games are open so just show up. Don't even need to have a full gear set up,although if you don't have some sort of camo, I wouldn't wear bright colored civllian clothes.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:49 PM

Anteater is a Private
Yes, as Specter said, buying locally is a good idea. I was just saying how all of my experiences with ASGI have been more than satisfactory, but buy local when you can. As for a starter gun, CA's are probably the best way to go, although I can attest that the JG g36 is a very solid build, and at only 120 dollars, it's a steal. Texx even recommended that I get it. I've had mine for 7 months, no damage at all. Was able to shoot a mail box sized target (a mail box ;D) at about 130 feet consecutively. Since then I've slapped some Systema internals and a tightbore barrel and it runs great.

And I would love to see you at BTT on the 17th. Some other friends and I are going, and it would be nice to see some other Akron area players, as there isn't too many.

Thanks,
Anteater

Quote:

Old 03-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Loose is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
There's some awfully shaky "advice" going down in this thread.

Nick, for one, buy local and avoid companies such as A&K JG AGM and the like. JG's are NOT OEM build ups for Echo1s. That is a myth that started early and never died.
SPECTRE
That is definitely not a myth. Echo 1 under most circumstances do not make their own guns. They're OEM'd by another manufacturer usually with slightly deferent specs, better QC, and they slap on 30 day warranty.

As for AGM, you're right, definitely a no go. However, A&K's new stuff is pretty good. A team member of mine has the A&K SPC Mod 1, been running it stock for over 2 years and hasn't encountered a single problem with it. They're good guns for the price, so I can't see where you're coming from by not recommending them.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:24 PM

NickP is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Yes, as Specter said, buying locally is a good idea. I was just saying how all of my experiences with ASGI have been more than satisfactory, but buy local when you can. As for a starter gun, CA's are probably the best way to go, although I can attest that the JG g36 is a very solid build, and at only 120 dollars, it's a steal.
Would you be so kind as to link me to this gun? I cant find it on that site. It sounds like a good gun so i may consider it but I do sorta want to do a WW2 style thing. I saw WW2 airsoft on youtube and it looked cool. I really like WW2 I sorta want to get Nazi stuff like that STG-44 and maybe a Luger later.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:25 PM

Anteater is a Private
It is out of stock on ASGI, but here is the link anyways .. http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=2109

Here is a link to the same gun but Echo 1 Brand at AirsoftSmith, which is local. http://www.airsoftsmith.com/store/pr...oducts_id=1324

As for it looking like a WWII gun, it doesn't at all. Infact it is a more futuristic looking gun, although is in service today with the Germans and others. I have seen Lugers on ASGI, though, so I would look there if you can't find any Lugers locally.

Quote:

Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 PM

NickP is a Private
Yeah I know its not a WW2 gun but I must ask another question, dont hurt me lol. Is it okay to do WW2 though? I worry I will be terribly out of place at any non-WW2 event.

I was browsing a British forum for WW2 airsoft players and one guy said hes not allowed on certain fields with his Nazi outfit does this happen here in the States (Ohio in particular)

Maybe I should get a modern outfit to start and then get a nazi one later and use it just for WW2 things.

Edit: Also note im not a racist im just fascinated with Nazis and hey someone has to play them =p

Old 03-28-2010, 09:07 PM

DemonicUnicorn2 is a Private
ALL of the 'this brand, that brand' discussion is opinion. Some people have good experiences with X brand and X model, some people have bad experiences. It's up to you to decide what you want and do some research on it. Typically you get what you pay for with an AEG. A higher end AEG such as KWA, Classic Army, ICS, and Tokyo Mauri are going to give you better stock performance and a much, much lesser chance of a lemon.

Don't be fooled by high FPS claims on store websites. Higher FPS does not equate to longer range. Range is going to be achieved by a combination of your air seal, hop up, barrel and BBs. Heavier BBs will have the same range as lighter BBs due to the fact that you can counteract gravities effect on the BB with your hop-up. Heavier BBs are less susceptible to being thrown off course by wind which means that you have better consistency at range. Going too heavy with your BBs though can be detrimental. Personally I would never go above .30g in a gun pushing the 400FPS mark.

A WW2 era gun is going to be harder to find mags and accessories for. So I would personally recommend you get a more modern model to make your assimilation to the sport easier on your wallet. There are G3s on the market that are not too hard to find mags and accessories for. As well as AK variants. These may be more up your alley. When you find a gun model you like, do a search for mags and find how much they will run you.

It’s not exactly a WW2 era look but an M14 has that classic rifle look if that is what you are after.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Anteater is a Private
As Demonic said, I would also highly recommend getting a higher end AEG if you can afford it. They are definitely of better build and quality than clones, but since you are on a budget, if you need get a clone, I stick with my suggestion of the JG or Echo 1 G36.

And yea, just because it is a high FPS doesn't make it great. I, in fact, just put a weaker spring in my G36 to make it CQB'able. I really look forward to meeting you at some events!

Quote:

Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Location: A land of superior apathy, also known as Cincinnati
Spectre is a Private First Class
Not to smash a new members intro thread, but I'm tired of mis-information floating around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf0921 View Post
That is definitely not a myth. Echo 1 under most circumstances do not make their own guns. They're OEM'd by another manufacturer usually with slightly deferent specs, better QC, and they slap on 30 day warranty.
Care to explain why Cyma gears are making it into the E1 CPW's then? Depending on the AEG variant, the guns come from different factories. E1 may check quality control, but the guns are not exclusively JG. I've seen a lot of them[JG] on the field, and every one I've seen has had some sort of damage or break that a higher end AEG would not have. So I give the OP my advice, don't buy trash.

It is simple, the hobby has reached a point where you get what you pay for. The ICS CA's and to an extent KWA's will hold their own way higher then the A&K's and JGs and blah blah blah. Not even TM is acceptable anymore, I've totally destroyed all of the gears in my TM just from ordinary use. There is a reason U.S. based distributors don't stock them anymore.

Last edited by Spectre; 03-29-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: