Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 02-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Dougrich is a Recruit Private
Shot Avoidance training

The last two days in the Peace officer academy we have been doing shot avoidance training. It’s fun and practical training. What we did yesterday is to place a coin on the ground and then squat down without looking down and grab the coin and move of as fast you can to the right or left. This is to simulate getting out of the line of fire without losing sight of the shooter.

What we did today was that me and Inferno (Adam) brought in our Airsoft guns at the request of our instructor. I brought in a HFC M190 Special Force GBB and Inferno brought in his ICS Sr16. We went with AO guidelines for distance and had the person being shot at wear eye protection. The shooter would start at the low ready with the soon to be shot facing him. The goal was not to be shot and for most it didn’t work out to well at first. We had to cease fire once they got off the mat we use for ground fighting. It was valid training. Our instructor told us about what they did on SWAT when he was on it was to use paintball guns.
The majority of people got hit the first time and after that seemed a lot more interested in getting out of the kill zone. It went really well and we had a lot of questions about airsoft and I directed a few towards AO. It was sweet.

Last edited by Dougrich; 02-19-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:09 PM

blacksheep_p is a Private
I know that right before I got out of the Army, my unit was seriously looking at picking up about 10 airsoft weapons for training purposes. I don't know if it ever came to be. I know that they are used by the New York National Guard though.

It is good to hear that LE and Military applications are being seen for our hobby. I always thought that the tactile feel of airsoft guns, as well as their battery of arms, would be very beneficial for training.

Plus, thanks to you, we might start to get a more target rich environment around here, good looking out!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:20 PM

bishopMP is a Private
We used to use paintball, but now we use (my) airsoft replicas as reacting to fire training.

It seems US Cav has jumped on the bandwagon as well.

They seem to be pushing MultiCam and airsoft a bit more now.

http://www.uscav.com/SearchMan.aspx?Man=513&TabID=548

lol = palco sports

Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Fat Tony is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Fat Tony
I've got this coming up in a few weeks when I finish up Subject Control.

The instructors were planning on using Simunitions but if they work anything like they did during traffic stops nobody will be getting hit because they jam up every other round!

This seems like a great idea. I'm going to offer to bring in some GBB's now so we'll have something reliable to use. I'll probably take my SAW just in case any of my fellow cadets get cocky and start dodging bb's like they're in the Matrix.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM

My instructor is former airforce and was talking about using simunitions for training. I can't repeat his words without geting an infraction, but he assured me they hurt, lol.

What academy are you at Fat Tony?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Fat Tony is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Fat Tony
Sandusky Police Academy. I took a sim round in the back during Stops & Approaches. I barely felt it, but I had a vest and a heavy jacket on. I don't think anyone got more than 2 consecutive rounds off without one of those sim guns stovepiping or having a round burst in the chamber. Garbage IMO.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 PM

blacksheep_p is a Private
Used Simunitions for MOUT training...

They are a cool idea on paper, but the 5.56 ones are just as garbage...

They are great when they work though. That sting let's you know you could be dead, but aren't just yet... LOL
Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 PM

Pappy is a Private
"I don't think anyone got more than 2 consecutive rounds off without one of those sim guns stovepiping or having a round burst in the chamber." - Perfect training for weapon malfunctions. Train with 10 things going wrong at once so you're ready for the 90 other things that go wrong when it's the real deal.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 PM

ISKRA is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougrich View Post
My instructor is former airforce and was talking about using simunitions for training. I can't repeat his words without geting an infraction, but he assured me they hurt, lol.

Yes they do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3hJbd-6guE

WARNING: Explicit language similar to above advisory...

2LT gets it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOxDv...eature=related

Last edited by ISKRA; 02-20-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:19 AM

mac50 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougrich View Post
They do. I was hit in a finger. It was sore for a week and turned every color of the rainbow.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Sandusky Police Academy. I took a sim round in the back during Stops & Approaches. I barely felt it, but I had a vest and a heavy jacket on. I don't think anyone got more than 2 consecutive rounds off without one of those sim guns stovepiping or having a round burst in the chamber. Garbage IMO.
I'm at Edison State Police Academy. We haven't had stops and approaches yet. We have have firearms next and then driving. I'm not sure, but I think the commander said something about sims in building clearing and stops and approaches.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Pro Communitus

Red is a CorporalRed is a CorporalRed is a Corporal
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep_p View Post
It is good to hear that LE and Military applications are being seen for our hobby. I always thought that the tactile feel of airsoft guns, as well as their battery of arms, would be very beneficial for training.
Yep, I know a few Police departments around Columbus use Airsoft for training purposes. Marushin M500 shotguns, Classic Army MP5s and Echo 1 MP5s, and KWA USP .45s are some of the guns one of the NE Columbus departments uses. It's really starting to be looked at as a legitimate training solution. Also saw an article, maybe a year back, on army.com about airsoft guns being implemented at one of the training installations in the SE US.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:44 AM

fish is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Yep, I know a few Police departments around Columbus use Airsoft for training purposes. Marushin M500 shotguns, Classic Army MP5s and Echo 1 MP5s, and KWA USP .45s are some of the guns one of the NE Columbus departments uses. It's really starting to be looked at as a legitimate training solution. Also saw an article, maybe a year back, on army.com about airsoft guns being implemented at one of the training installations in the SE US.
I'm sure cost was a major factor, but since they are training with MP5s, I wonder why they did not choose the Systema MP5 PTW route, to add that added effect... and I believe KWA has now their PTP line, so that makes sense.

And having gotten to play with the Marushin M500 .. that is a fun realistic replica. I just wish it wasn't 8mm... and that the clone of it wasn't such a piece of gas leaking garbage. (based on personal experience)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: