Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:50 PM

Hoss is a Private
Looking for a gun smith.

Hey, as some of you have seen I have asked a lot of questions about my kwa cqb and I thinks it's time for me to nut up and just ask for someone to help me fix up this gun a bit. I will pay for your time and the parts. I prefer we meet and work on the gun together that way no party feels like they will get ripped off. The problems with the gun...

Horrible range (like 60ft and then it's on the ground, hop up doesn't help much) I have replaced the bucking with a G&G green bucking and it didn't help.

I play a lot of outdoor games so I would like to use this gun sometimes outdoors but still keep it indoor friendly (under 350fps).

The gun is also quite loud, there is a loud bong noise every time the trigger is pulled. I don't know if it's the piston head slamming or what. I'm not good wit gearboxes. Also sounds like the gears are a little bad, I have adjusted the motor height and it doesn't seem to do much.

I live in Sheffield Lake so anyone close to me would be great. I would just take it to AirsoftSmith but it's too far of a drive. I also have a CA m4a1 I need some help with. Seems to be the same range issue as stated above with the cqb.

If this post is in the wrong place I apologize, I didn't know if I should put it here cause I need help or the classifieds cause I'm fine with paying someone.

I pay in cash!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM

Naga is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Naga
With respect to the range, I would revert to the original (and very nice) KWA bucking, and make sure that the nub did not fall out of place. The nub is the small rubber cylinder that sits between the bucking and the hop-up arm.

It has been my experience that my KWA tends to be noisier than my other (modified, well-shimmed) guns due to the metal receiver transmitting sound more readily, as well as the fact that they do not use shims from the factory. I do not believe you have a problem here.

If it does concern you, I would make the trip to Airsoft Smith. They are good people.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 PM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
Jonezy does some good work.

I've had very bad luck with the 2GX buckings since owning my KWA rifles, and have always switched to a standard bucking. Part of that reason was for surface area to BB contact is larger.

I'd take a number and head to Jonezy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Thus marketh the only time anyone hath used the search feature on AO
in 2Tall's basement doing things
Old 10-09-2013, 02:00 AM

RNA is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to RNA Send a message via Yahoo to RNA
I agree with hop up, however, there could be a number of reasons as to why your not getting range.

1st. Your air nozzle could be starting to go out.

2. Your piston head could not be giving the right pressure and seal needed for the air nozzle to do its job.

3. The inner barrel could be filthy. ( this is the most unlikely of the problems but i have seen it happen)

4. It may not be your bucking, your nub could be worn so much that the bucking isnt pushing it high enough to allow the bb spin to do anything.

The others are right the 2gx bucking is a great bucking and does the job quite well, i would listen to theae guys and get another one for your KWA.

19:55:46) Agent_Spencer: It's like aids and win mixed together.
(19:56:11) Agent_Spencer: It's awesome, feels great, and there's no known cure and people thought only duo on duo sex could cause it.

(23:21:15) Naga: Well, I have to get up at 7 and take my mom for a ride...
Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 AM

bnagley is a Private
Send a message via AIM to bnagley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flenner View Post
Jonezy does some good work.

I've had very bad luck with the 2GX buckings since owning my KWA rifles, and have always switched to a standard bucking. Part of that reason was for surface area to BB contact is larger.

I'd take a number and head to Jonezy.
I don't think he takes on any smithing work anymore. Last update from him was that he was focusing on his Mosfets.

Lake Erie Airsoft Division Squad Leader
Does this make me awesome
Old 10-09-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnagley View Post
I don't think he takes on any smithing work anymore. Last update from him was that he was focusing on his Mosfets.
Whoops. Totally ignore my post.

I would be willing to do some work for you. Shoot me a PM.
Quote:
Old 10-09-2013, 04:40 PM

rootbeerking202 is a Private
Send a message via Skype™ to rootbeerking202
A great way to reduce sound on AEGs, so I've found, is to:

1. Shimming! (or take out shims) It doesn't create that ugly gear grinding noise

2. Motor- as much as it may not be the problem, a lot of chinese crappy motors sound really bad sounding motors. Try some other brands, but I think KWA has a good motor.

3. Piston head - A polycarb piston head will make the piston quieter, and produces a nice "thump" rather than the standard clank, and will also decrease FPS

There are probably more, but those are just a few.
*please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these ideas

Last edited by rootbeerking202; 10-10-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 PM

Location: A land of superior apathy, also known as Cincinnati
Spectre is a Private First Class
...How does a polycarbonate piston head decrease FPS? Never...ever seen that.

You want to know why its so noisy? Its because its a KWA. You might think I'm being a smartass, and to some degree I am, but their gears...and motors...are terrible. I don't believe it to be shimming if the gearbox has never been opened, they are typically well shimmed for stock guns. You are most likely in the stages of destroying one of the gears right now. Its not your fault either, I've seen brand new KWA AEG's blow a gearset for no damn reason. You could also be stripping out your piston. In some cases teeth that are shredded away simply "shortstroke" the assembly still allowing you to fire the gun but at severely hampered performance. Additonally that could cause grindy noises. At any rate, anyone can speculate as to what may be the problem or problems, but until someone sits down and looks it over nothing can really be made final. Have you considered shipping it to a tech?

P.S. I hate KWA AEGs.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post

You want to know why its so noisy? Its because its a KWA. You might think I'm being a smartass, and to some degree I am, but their gears...and motors...are terrible. I don't believe it to be shimming if the gearbox has never been opened, they are typically well shimmed for stock guns. You are most likely in the stages of destroying one of the gears right now. Its not your fault either, I've seen brand new KWA AEG's blow a gearset for no damn reason. You could also be stripping out your piston. In some cases teeth that are shredded away simply "shortstroke" the assembly still allowing you to fire the gun but at severely hampered performance. Additonally that could cause grindy noises. At any rate, anyone can speculate as to what may be the problem or problems, but until someone sits down and looks it over nothing can really be made final. Have you considered shipping it to a tech?

P.S. I hate KWA AEGs.
lol I hope you are talking about the new-age "Send it out as fast as possible" KWA company, because mine has been running since 2008! The biggest flaws in the KWA AEG are like all other companies, but the 2GX buckings suck! The amount of math needed to find that out is minimal. I'm still one of those players that hasn't switched to the "R-Hop" and equivalents because my range is still better than half of those guns.

Spec, if you'd like proof, I can possibly find some time to show you

Fine tune any company's gun and they will work fine, IMHO.
Quote:
Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I must be mistaken. I prefer polycarbonate pistons because it gets rid of that annoying clanking sound, however I am not an AEG expert. It does raise the ROF, correct?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeerking202 View Post
I must be mistaken. I prefer polycarbonate pistons because it gets rid of that annoying clanking sound, however I am not an AEG expert. It does raise the ROF, correct?
In theory, it should only increase the velocity at which the spring decompresses to its normal constant, raising the accelerated velocity of the piston and head, due to its lighter weight being polycarbonate. Or for the less physics educated: the spring moves the piston and head faster due to it having the same amount of "springy-ness" acting upon the lighter weight piston.

So, the only way your ROF is "technically" increased is by faster complete rotations of the entire system of the gun, or basically how fast the piston and head + air nozzle move back and forth, and the lighter weight does help with half of the system. (Hence the Swiss cheese theory, proven of course, carried out by many of the experienced techs, including me)

But, in technicality's sake, we are just going to say no, because the other half of the system doesn't change.
Quote:
Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 AM

BigRed2014 has been Court Martialled
Quote:
A polycarb piston head is lighter than a stock piston head, so while it could raise your ROF, the main benefit it gives you is a faster piston return time. This is useful in high ROF builds to help prevent pre-engagement.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed2014 View Post
A polycarb piston head is lighter than a stock piston head, so while it could raise your ROF, the main benefit it gives you is a faster piston return time. This is useful in high ROF builds to help prevent pre-engagement.
Thanks for the clarification BRred, that was what I thought.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 AM

bnagley is a Private
Ah, actual tech talk. This is such a relief.

Hoss, Flenner knows what he's doing when it comes to KWA's. Though I agree with Spectre that they should have stuck with making Gas pistols. He seems to have kept his AEG running for all these years.

Though in my time in the airsoft technician field I have found that people think that replacing one part with another will automaticcally make their gun unbreakable or super "leet". This is never the case. It's all about compatibility and tolerances. This is the main reason whey I do not work on KWA's. Whatever their tolerances are when it comes to the guns and parts they never seem to be the same as the majority of other producers and manufacturers.

Either start researching what you need and try to order KWA OEM parts. Or send it to somebody that has experience working with them. Each technician has their own style of workmanship.

Remember folks, 9 times out of 10 your batteries dead.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flenner View Post
lol I hope you are talking about the new-age "Send it out as fast as possible" KWA company, because mine has been running since 2008! The biggest flaws in the KWA AEG are like all other companies, but the 2GX buckings suck! The amount of math needed to find that out is minimal. I'm still one of those players that hasn't switched to the "R-Hop" and equivalents because my range is still better than half of those guns.

Spec, if you'd like proof, I can possibly find some time to show you

Fine tune any company's gun and they will work fine, IMHO.
Didn't you blast your gearbox into three pieces...? Anyrate, when mid-level distributors report 50% failure rates in their inventory before ever even shipping them to buyers and on the tech bench of a major Ohio retail store I see numbers worse then that it becomes obvious to someone such as myself that they have these issues more so than some other brands. This isn't new news either, I'm talking about 2-3 years ago. Its irrelevant that your 5 year old gun still works, because its 5 years old and people with new ones aren't going to have the same experiences. Look at Classic Army if you want a good representation of what I am talking about. Is there any AEG that's perfect? LOLNOPE. But for the price the KWA is not even close to my first pick.

Regardless, this doesn't help OP. Consider finding a good tech, preferably somebody who has a legitimate business tied to them, and ship the gun to them for inspection/repair if there is no body around you. Or, be brave and make the leap that many of us have in the past and crack it open yourself. Just be methodical about your approach. Don't rip it open letting stuff fly everywhere. Find a clear, clean area preferably with concrete or tile as a floor and slowly disassemble the gun.

Also: My commentary on poly-carbonate pistonheads didn't imply what does or doesn't do in theory. In practical application changing the material of the piston head does little for changing FPS. You can show me proof all you want, I can do the actual math myself. But in science there is a difference between theory and experimentation. Theory doesn't always hold true in the lab.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM

bnagley is a Private
Quote:
Regardless, this doesn't help OP. Consider finding a good tech, preferably somebody who has a legitimate business tied to them, and ship the gun to them for inspection/repair if there is no body around you. Or, be brave and make the leap that many of us have in the past and crack it open yourself. Just be methodical about your approach. Don't rip it open letting stuff fly everywhere. Find a clear, clean area preferably with concrete or tile as a floor and slowly disassemble the gun.

Also, Magnets are your best friend. a small magnetic screw dish can be found at almost any tool store, this will help ensure you dont lose any small parts. So many resources are on youtube on how to go about taking apart and putting together a gearbox.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Also: My commentary on poly-carbonate pistonheads didn't imply what does or doesn't do in theory. In practical application changing the material of the piston head does little for changing FPS. You can show me proof all you want, I can do the actual math myself. But in science there is a difference between theory and experimentation. Theory doesn't always hold true in the lab.
I understand. I was mistaken. I was corrected...

And I never mentioned what it does or doesn't do; I was, rather, making sure I was correct when I said that it increased ROF.

Last edited by rootbeerking202; 10-10-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I understand. I was mistaken. I was corrected. End of story.

And I never mentioned what it does or doesn't do; I was, rather, making sure I was correct when I said that it increased ROF.
Chill, wasn't aimed at you. Nor was it a snide remark to begin with.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Chill, wasn't aimed at you. Nor was it a snide remark to begin with.
Okay, no problem Spec.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 PM

Hoss is a Private
Wow, this topic as taken a right turn somewhere. I appreciate everyone's help. I think I'm going to let Flenner take a look at it and give it a once over. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: