Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 02-21-2016, 10:59 AM

*Rooster* is a Private
What happened here??

So I've been out of airsoft for a while, I haven't shot an airsoft gun since about like 2012-2013. I'm currently attending a military college but decided to take a look at one of the websites and hobbies that really defined my adolescence and was a huge part of my teenage years. I visited today and quickly realized that AO is a ghost town... It's not the website I remember when I left, being one of bustling activity and consistent, daily posts. I did a bit of poking around and saw that a lot of the old mods I remember are banned as well. I gotta know, what really happened to this once tight knit community? Do people still airsoft? Did all the shops close down? Was this all just a fad that was bound to get old? Whatever the case, if anyone has the scoop, let me know. If you don't feel comfortable sharing on here for whatever reason, email me at forbeseb18@mail.vmi.edu

Thanks y'all.

Formerly "M4 Rules"
Old 02-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
Nobody cares about long, developed and instructive discussions. Everyone one instant gratification, instant answers and instant involvement of what they say....Welcome to the facebook era my friend.

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Old 02-21-2016, 12:26 PM

Rygar is a Private
I think some of the *older* members still in the airsoft community will understand this quote, now that the FB generation has pretty much cemented it'self as the new foundation of the airosft community.

"If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it" ---Chancellor Gorkon, Star Trek: The undiscovered Country.

Being one of those *older* airsofters, I'm having trouble adapting to the faster, instant gratification style of the younger, newer airsofter. I'm trying, but some days..just some of them, it really doesn't feel like it's worth it anymore.
-------------------------
" Just to quell the rumors..I did NOT bury my wife under the house so I could come back out and play...........She's under the shed. J/k" --also Me.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 PM

*Rooster* is a Private
So people still airsoft and the community still exists, it just has moved to facebook? What a shame. I loved this website. Lot of good times here. Is it more expensive than it was a few years ago? Maybe I'll get back into it at some point, but I play soldier enough these days...

Formerly "M4 Rules"
Old 02-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Utah goat rapist

Rowdy is a Private First Class
Nowadays, anyone can create a team or community page that they can control, free of charge. So there is no longer motivation to keep people on a central social media site, like a forum.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:49 PM
Baron VonYolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Nowadays, anyone can create a team or community page that they can control, free of charge. So there is no longer motivation to keep people on a central social media site, like a forum.
yeh and that is why nobody knows where to search and find what they need in this community. Now I have to search through 20 places to find out if there will be someone else hosting something the same day than me instead of just looking on AO calendar ...

Awesome videos;
Old 02-22-2016, 03:21 PM

GergLeft is a Private
For the record (as an "older" airsofter...I used to play back in 2006/2007 time), AO helped me connect backup with the Toledo area guys - which yes I ended up finding on Facebook. I'm a webdeveloper though so I have an appreciation for different tools for different things. Facebook for local recent stuff, but I definitely like AO for discussions about various topics, tutorials etc that facebook sucks for. FB calendar can easily merge multiple sources, but AO calendar that all teams can update is still better (AO facebook sync w/ AO forum calendar?)
Old 02-23-2016, 03:28 PM

Tiimelord is a Private
Facebook happened. I never liked switching the AO community to FB anyway, but it is what it is. And now, groups associated with 'guns' are under fire from the facebook police, and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it (other than changing group names, etc.). I would love to see more forum activity. It's not that hard to click a couple of extra times to get to where you need to go on this forum. People are just lazy, and expect everything to be instantaneous.

As far as stores, there are almost none left in Ohio as far as I'm aware. 321, AirsoftSmith, etc. had to close down their doors because of a lack of business and prices being drastically hindered by online mega-stores. It's really sad, but that's business. I just hope the community comes together to play at local fields to keep them active.
~ Ephesians 6:10-20 ~
OP: Threshold. OP: Crucible. OP: Dark Horizon. OP: Sidewinder (OOBI) OP: Crucible III (OOBI)

Check out my YouTube Channel!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TiiMELORDHD

Proud transexual... And loves Rowdy.
Rowdy loves you too fil
Old 02-23-2016, 09:08 PM
What plants crave

Evil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a Sergeant
Airsoft Ohio is still a great source of information if you are looking into upgrading your TM PSG-1 with Guarder perfomance parts.
Evil Head is not repsonsible for sarcasm. If sarcasm lasts more than four hours, consult a doctor. Evil Head's comment may cause prolonged bleeding and sexual inactivity. Do not read these comments if you are pregnant. Some mild bruising of the ego may occur. If so, stop using sarcasm immediately.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 AM

Octane is a Private
The shops I've visited in 2015/16 fallen warrior field/ pro shop in southern Ohio. (great staff BTW) also I've always checked AO for games, maybe I'm missing a lot not using f.b. if your not on the forums then I'm probably going to miss the event push more for registering and event posting on AO as a state community to find games. What happened is the mental snowflake blizzard or 2010 that's still blowing today, but that's a whole other rant
Old 02-24-2016, 10:26 AM

PMO Gordo is a Private

Facebook may be banning anything related to "guns", including Airsoft. Does that mean AO may be getting popular again?

http://merlinsairsoftnews.com/?p=3338

"Well, it appears that it has happened. Airsofters all around the US woke up to some of their favorite Airsoft related Facebook groups having disappeared Monday morning. What followed was an onslaught of Facebook notifications of owners and admins all over Facebook changing names to their pages and groups to exclude anything that may fall under the anti-second amendment algorithm.

The majority of the victims appeared to be any group with the work “gun”, “firearm” or “weapon” in the title coupled with terms such as B/S/T or buy/sell/trade, or anything that suggested the site was used for selling/buying guns, whether real or airsoft.

At the time of press it is unclear how many groups have been shut down, if community groups (non b/s/t groups) were effected, and if any actual pages fell victim to Facebook’s hate.

For the past several months, any page with the word gun in it has been unable to purchase any sort of social media tool offered by Facebook, just as boost posts or page advertisements. It is important to note, however, that companies such as American MilSim, MilSim West, ZShot,inc and a few others HAVE had sponsored posts pop up in users’ timelines, suggesting that the business aspect of Facebook’s algorithm is strictly based on specific words, and is not actually reviewed on a case by case basis by an actual Facebook representative.

This situation still appears to.be evolving so stay tuned and we will bring you more information."
Old 02-24-2016, 12:15 PM

2tall is a Private
I agree about the Ohio stores all disappearing. We do still have one up here in Northwest Ohio, Woodville Surplus. They have again started to restock their airsoft stuff as well as some more real steel stuff.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 PM

Daxter is a Private
For those of you know don't know already, the AO Classifieds page is still up and running but is limited to gear it seems. At this point, it'd be smarter to keep all the trading to this site but the "Facebook dependents" will most likely resist that change. Till then, I'll be deleting all of your gun related wts/wtt/wtb posts on there

I'm an AK purist. Deal with it.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:00 PM

79stang is a Private
Welcome back *****es!

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 02-25-2016, 10:05 AM

PMO Gordo is a Private
More info coming up from Popular Airsoft:

"We are getting some Facebook posts by airsofters that some airsoft buy and sell groups are getting banned or having themselves renamed. There are some that still remain to be functioning normally and have their names still intact, maybe not for long. Firearms groups and other related groups are also experiencing the same.

Facebook announced in late January 2016 that they will not be allowing firearms trades publicly and privately on the social media network, and will only allow licensed firearms dealers to put up advertisements as long as transactions are not conducted within Facebook and other web properties that it owns such as Instagram.

Initially we thought that this covers real firearms but it looks like Facebook have made it across the board. If you think your group is not covered since it might be legal in your own country, Facebook will be implementing its new policy throughout the whole Facebook community:

What is considered a firearm in the list of regulated goods in Facebook’s Community Standards?

The Facebook Community Standards don’t allow attempts by unauthorized dealers to buy, sell or trade firearms. This includes:

Rifles
Shotguns
Machine guns
Handguns
Pistols
Revolvers
Firearm receivers
Antique guns
Black powder firearms
Muzzle-loading firearms
BB guns
Airsoft guns
Air guns
Air rifles
Paintball markers
Firearm replicas
Non-functioning firearms
Curios and relics
Destructive devices such as bombs, grenades, rockets, missiles or mines
We understand that some of these items may not be legally regulated everywhere people use Facebook. In order to enforce our policies as fairly and consistently as possible, we use one broad set of standards for the entire Facebook community.

The problem with existing Facebook airsoft buy and sell groups changing the names in order to remain on the good side, it may just be a futile hide and seek game as Facebook can shutdown groups anytime it wants to (a disgruntled member might just report your group anytime). Even appealing will take longer that sometimes it is futile to appeal to lift the ban on their group.

So what now if Facebook shuts down airsoft buy and sell groups? It’s time to go back to the good old airsoft forums.

Many airsoft forums have seen a decline in members and activity as more and more airsoft players are now depending on Facebook to interact with each other since the social network is turning into a massive network of various interests in one place. Rather than logging into different websites of different interests, on Facebook, you need to login once and immediately you can interact with friends, family, team mates and follow different fields of interests, from airsoft to celebrities, to photos of cute cats.

But with such a development, perhaps it is time for airsoft players to go back to their favorite airsoft forums since without them, the growth of airsoft would not have been possible without them. Even before Facebook, MySpace or Friendster started, the airsoft forums have been actively promoting the airsoft --- providing support to newbies and discussing different topics from legal to airsoft gun maintenance to airsoft gun and accessories trade.

Airsoft forums have been very helpful in facilitating trades of unwanted airsoft guns, accessories and tactical gear. Most follow the local laws regulating such trades (if such laws exist), and are important venues for the secondhand airsoft market.

And the best thing about airsoft forums? They really care about airsoft as they are run by airsoft players themselves. As for Facebook, well it is run by people who care more about shareholders rather than their users. So in the end, airsoft forums are still the best refuge for airsoft players who want to connect to other airsoft players and eventually do legal trades of airsoft items."
Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 PM

skaterkid1997 is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiimelord View Post
Facebook happened. I never liked switching the AO community to FB anyway, but it is what it is. And now, groups associated with 'guns' are under fire from the facebook police, and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it (other than changing group names, etc.). I would love to see more forum activity. It's not that hard to click a couple of extra times to get to where you need to go on this forum. People are just lazy, and expect everything to be instantaneous.

As far as stores, there are almost none left in Ohio as far as I'm aware. 321, AirsoftSmith, etc. had to close down their doors because of a lack of business and prices being drastically hindered by online mega-stores. It's really sad, but that's business. I just hope the community comes together to play at local fields to keep them active.
Oppenheimer airsoft is open in Mentor.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:46 PM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
I have no idea, but I'm still here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Thus marketh the only time anyone hath used the search feature on AO
in 2Tall's basement doing things
Old 03-16-2016, 01:10 PM

Panda is a Private
Ayyyy I still exist.

I've been encouraging people on Facebook to return to the forum. The time put into maintaining an account on here is far more beneficial than popping into various Facebook groups and getting tidbits of information here and there. I shamelessly plug the original AO website whenever I can.
(21:42:57) Agent_Spencer: I mean i didn't need a pony made of diamonds, but I have a yolo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Have you ever noticed in commercials how there's like a white guy and his Asian friend and the black guy so it's not racist? That's pandas job
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Be smart y'all.
"I like balls"-Panda
Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 AM

shmartin is a Private
Honestly I think It has to do some with the fact that the site has pretty much remained the same since I started playing around 2010. Right now the site is clearly showing its age and in need of updating. I personally have stopped uploading photos to the site because I find it inconvenient for me to have to compress each individual photo to meet the minimum size requirement to upload. Cameras have gotten more high resolution since 2010 but the minimum image size requirement has stayed the same. The whole site needs to be modernized and changed around. People use whats most convenient for them and right now certain things about Airsoft Ohio just are not. I really like this site but something needs to eventually be done.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:32 PM

Dweron is a Private
i check in every few days or so. people are calling for some updates but without people even using the forums its in a weird limbo state.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 PM

fredwordsplat is a Private
There is just not enough people who still go online and use specific forums. You see it everywhere AOs not the only website suffering

Evike Custom Noveske rail G&P M4, A&K M249 Para, AM 013-DE, Cyma M14, VFC Walther PPQ, Classic Army M4

For God so loved the world he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - The Bible
Old 02-27-2017, 08:33 AM
Baron VonYolo

...and it is sad because so much information is being lost or wasted....

Awesome videos;
Old 02-27-2017, 09:36 AM

Bain is a Private
I have been around since 2010, and joined AO in 2011. Always enjoyed the AO site, but I agree with shmartin 100% it needs updating. Airsoft as a whole is going through a change. The hobby as a whole is changing(for good & bad), but as a community of "older" players. I feel we must change/adapt with the times to keep the hobby & community going.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:13 PM

King is a Private
Send a message via AIM to King Send a message via Yahoo to King
I checked in AO a few months ago (I've been out of airsoft now for a few years due to work/family/life/blah blah blah) and I was also surprised to find this place a ghost town. One of my coworkers wants to get into airsoft and I told him of stories from years back, when games were every weekend and airsoft was life. After Op: Irene (one of then, I don't remember which one), and how a bunch of us got screwed, it was enough to destroy the fun of the sport. I do miss the game a lot though.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:23 PM

2tall is a Private
IMHO I think social media has affected all of the airsoft forums. I am not a user of say Facebook and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. Early on say 2009 or so when I joined AO it was hopping games posted for every weekend, tons of info being posted etc, etc. And then things all swayed towards social media. I feel that is one reason the forums are dead nowadays. But this is just my opion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: