Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 03-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Baron VonYolo

Blade is a CorporalBlade is a CorporalBlade is a Corporal
Send a message via AIM to Blade Send a message via Skype™ to Blade
Web developers and graphic designers required!

Can you code a website? Can you design one? Do you have any kind of knowledge on how to produce a website? How to make it secure?

Airsoftohio needs you!

We have been talking about revamping this website but we do not have anybody available to actually build the new site. I am not talking about someone that says they can but never do here. I am talking about someone who will work on it Now and get it done SOON.

While you will have the great privilege to say that you kickstarted the new AO, there is no money involved at this time. So if you offer your help, it will be by good conscience and interest into your community.

SO! Can you help?! Post your name and qualification below, we want to hear about you.

Disclaimer: This thread hasn't been approved by anybody but myself. Just getting a bit tired of talking and no acting and something must get done.

Awesome videos;
http://www.youtube.com/teamstrikersairsoft
Old 03-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Airsoft Prophet

RotaryProphet is a Private
I'll kick-start this, I suppose.

I'm the one what rescues AO every once in a while when something goes wrong on the server and someone needs to manually login and get things back on track. I'm a sysadmin & back-end developer, so I have absolutely no interest in doing HTML, CSS, or javascript; But I am available to do any of the "hard stuff" -- Back end & database development, system setup, and (perhaps most importantly) system security. It's what I do for a day job.

If we can get someone more interested in front-end development and web design, we could have a pretty sweet setup.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:51 PM

Tiimelord is a Private
Lol I was just going to recommend you for the job. Either way, I hope this site gets updated and back on track.
~ Ephesians 6:10-20 ~
OP: Threshold. OP: Crucible. OP: Dark Horizon. OP: Sidewinder (OOBI) OP: Crucible III (OOBI)

Check out my YouTube Channel!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TiiMELORDHD

Proud transexual... And loves Rowdy.
Rowdy loves you too fil
Old 03-05-2016, 03:44 PM

hicks is a Private
I have experience in web design. I'm still learning the Javascript and PHP part, but I guess its better than nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryProphet View Post
I'll kick-start this, I suppose.

I'm the one what rescues AO every once in a while when something goes wrong on the server and someone needs to manually login and get things back on track. I'm a sysadmin & back-end developer, so I have absolutely no interest in doing HTML, CSS, or javascript; But I am available to do any of the "hard stuff" -- Back end & database development, system setup, and (perhaps most importantly) system security. It's what I do for a day job.

If we can get someone more interested in front-end development and web design, we could have a pretty sweet setup.
I just saw now that you don't like frontend, I can do that, I'm pretty well versed in HTML and CSS, and I know someone who can help me in Javascript

Last edited by hicks; 03-05-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:12 PM

fredwordsplat is a Private
I have experience in Python and Graphic design in Adobe Programs.. But i do not think i would be qualified for the job.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:47 PM

Searcher is a Private
Need to nail down a list of what needs done before the web tech deluge begins.
I'm chiming in for the roll call.
Web Application Dev. DB to UI.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:30 AM

Fanglor is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Fanglor Send a message via MSN to Fanglor
Yay you mean the ohio retailers buttons will be changed again? Like only one of those links is still active :/
Old 03-11-2016, 10:34 PM

Phyrman13 is a Private
for sure need to update the stores links, it would also be nice to see easy access Field listing as well for in-state insured fields.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Baron VonYolo

While it is the way it should be done, we need to see what kind of guys we can get and then see what kind of work can be accomplished. We can talk having a new design as long as we want but if no designer are available, we wasted our time. But then again, website coding is not my thing so maybe it can't be done that way at all. You tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
Need to nail down a list of what needs done before the web tech deluge begins.
I'm chiming in for the roll call.
Web Application Dev. DB to UI.
Personally speaking, I started with the HR search because we need to figure out who is available and what can be accomplished. For instance, someone that can design, properly code a website, properly build a security system for it, etc. If we can't get one perfect coder to do everything, we need to see who can work with who, etc. We might need to go toward a pre-built website such as http://www.templatemonster.com/ to get something going.

Awesome videos;
Old 03-13-2016, 12:02 PM

hicks is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
While it is the way it should be done, we need to see what kind of guys we can get and then see what kind of work can be accomplished. We can talk having a new design as long as we want but if no designer are available, we wasted our time. But then again, website coding is not my thing so maybe it can't be done that way at all. You tell me.

Personally speaking, I started with the HR search because we need to figure out who is available and what can be accomplished. For instance, someone that can design, properly code a website, properly build a security system for it, etc. If we can't get one perfect coder to do everything, we need to see who can work with who, etc. We might need to go toward a pre-built website such as http://www.templatemonster.com/ to get something going.
I have a few pre-built designs that can be easily modified if we need. I we do the pre-built, I will not be able to help as I do not have any experience in those and despise the heck out of them.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:29 PM

Phyrman13 is a Private
I can throw something together this week and let you guy preview it and see if its what you wanting. might not be perfect but I think I can put together a decent alternative.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:43 AM

Destroyer is a Recruit Private
Perhaps I missed it in other conversations, but what is the goal here (aside from obviously having a shiny new site)? Are you looking for new forums? Something more akin to Facebook groups? Something mostly static but with support for event advertisement and registration?

Is the goal to cater to the small group of active AO users, or are we hoping that "if we build it, they will come"?

I'm not trying to be a downer here, but depending on what you're hoping to end up with, it could be a lot of work.

I'd like to help out, but I don't think I'll be able to devote the time necessary to take it start to finish and I wouldn't feel right volunteering and then leave the team hanging because I don't have the time.

It would also be good for everyone to list what languages/frameworks they are familiar with. Sure programming is programming and frameworks are a dime a dozen, but no one is going to be as efficient if they're writing new code in an unfamiliar language.

Experience: professional senior C# ASP.NET application developer. Likely relevant experience: C#, SQL, ASP.NET (and a handful of .NET 3rd party libraries), MVC, Javascript, JQuery, Backbone.js, HTML, CSS, Windows Server, IIS. DevOps: git, SVN, Trac, NAnt, TeamCity. I've also done a very small amount of work with Linux, Apache, python.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:44 AM

Phyrman13 is a Private
Just Tinking around on this for an hour or so and came up with this so far. Its still the free Version. If its something we want to pursue I am willing to pay the subscription on it for the time being. Hoping to get sponsors/advertisers eventually to help cover the cost.

http://airsoftohioweb.wix.com/airsoftohio
Old 03-17-2016, 02:47 PM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
Not to be that guy, but what's wrong with this site? There's a few code errors and redirect errors here and there, but this site is easy to navigate and still holds valuable information, along with easily being customizable and available on tapatalk.

Just curious.

-Flenner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Thus marketh the only time anyone hath used the search feature on AO
in 2Tall's basement doing things
Old 03-17-2016, 05:30 PM

SplatterPark is a Private
Kool.
Need to add SplatterPark to fields and Airsoft Alpha to stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrman13 View Post
Just Tinking around on this for an hour or so and came up with this so far. Its still the free Version. If its something we want to pursue I am willing to pay the subscription on it for the time being. Hoping to get sponsors/advertisers eventually to help cover the cost.

http://airsoftohioweb.wix.com/airsoftohio

1.888.8SPLATT

www.splatterpark.com
www.airsoftalpha.com
http://alphastartactical.com
Old 03-17-2016, 07:22 PM

Phyrman13 is a Private
Got Splatterpark added. I haven't added any store yet, but will make sure alpha is when i do.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:32 AM
Baron VonYolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flenner View Post
Not to be that guy, but what's wrong with this site? There's a few code errors and redirect errors here and there, but this site is easy to navigate and still holds valuable information, along with easily being customizable and available on tapatalk.

Just curious.

-Flenner
...which is exactly why I wanted to know who was available. Then, Wallace can decide if fixing/modifying the actual AO is better than starting from scratch. This website is not super bad, it just needs several features to be changed. The thing we absolutely need to stay away from is getting a "custom" work done and then being stuck with it because the coder/programmer/designer got no more time for it or leave the community.

Awesome videos;
Old 03-18-2016, 08:26 AM

Phyrman13 is a Private
its why I am trying to do it. I have been blessed in life to where i was able to retire young and make my hobby into my full time career. Airsoft is all I do 24/7.

I haven't been part of the AO community super long but two things have been going on since i have. Everyone wanting changes/updates to the site, and it not happening.

I keep hearing the "theres valuable Info" thing but the vast majority of it is dated info that most people don't care about. The biggest problems i see with this site is truly the lack of ease to find current fields and store via this site. That should be the most important and in your face part of the site and it isn't on this site. I hear it every weekend, I didn't even know you were open here. AO is the first thing to pop up when you search airsoft in OH. which most new player or curious people will do. The most important thing as a community we can do for those 2 groups is immediately get them into a store or to a field. thats how we bring them into the sport and keep them.

I do enjoy reading through old posts sometime, but i am also an old player that remembers alot of the community issues from 10-15 years ago. the vast majority of airsofters now were just or not even born then.

I don't know what the best solution is start new, or refresh but I do know something needs done. as field/store owners we have put way to much time and money into this to not have a viable Hub for CURRENT info for the players.

Sorry for the long post I just am very passionate about airsoft and the community and feel this is an area we are failing especially the new players coming in.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:53 AM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
Quote:
...which is exactly why I wanted to know who was available. Then, Wallace can decide if fixing/modifying the actual AO is better than starting from scratch. This website is not super bad, it just needs several features to be changed. The thing we absolutely need to stay away from is getting a "custom" work done and then being stuck with it because the coder/programmer/designer got no more time for it or leave the community.
Looks like a couple fields need added onto the site: Such as the links for stores and fields (if they have websites) around Ohio, but I don't see much else as a major problem. I'm sure some colors and backgrounds can be changed, but creating an entire site just doesn't seem like the way to go for me. It costs too much time and too much money.

If I was in the market for building such a site, I would most certainly help, but I unfortunately don't have the time. I can only make suggestions for the usability (which is my main focus on programming)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Thus marketh the only time anyone hath used the search feature on AO
in 2Tall's basement doing things
Old 03-18-2016, 11:32 AM

Phyrman13 is a Private
Don't get me wrong. I would rather this site get fixed but talking about for the past couple YEARS and its not happened.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:29 PM

Destroyer is a Recruit Private
Quote:
Unless you build from a template that has 90% of what you need, the new site will inevitably end up the same way. If you want custom functionality, you're going to need custom code.

Have a look at what Joel Spolsky, an industry respected engineer has to say about rebuilds: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...000000069.html

Now, if you're talking about substantially changing AO's function (i.e. making it not a forum), then that's different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrman13 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I would rather this site get fixed but talking about for the past couple YEARS and its not happened.
If we don't have the resources to fix it, where are we going to get the resources to build a new one, and then fix all of the issues with that one?
Old 03-18-2016, 06:42 PM

Phyrman13 is a Private
i think to an extent it does need to change. i mean having a Forum is nice and i did put one on the site i mocked up but i think its just as or more important to connect new players with fields, stores, and even teams.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: