Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 10-22-2004, 03:23 PM

CaPtAiN_InSaNo is a Private
Send a message via AIM to CaPtAiN_InSaNo
Battery Guide

I'm bored, got 1 hour and nothing to do right now so i'll just post a battery maintinance article, if you don't like me, don't read the article!

NiMH vs. NiCD
Everybody knows there are two kinds of cells, but they may not know some of the major advantages and disadvantages of the common cells on the market. Most people won't bother to do any of this, but if you have the right charger and need all the power you can get out of your battery here are a few steps to follow.

Dischargeing And Storage
When discharging it is good to have a cutoff box on your discharger if you do not have one built into your peak charger. .9v per cell (5.4v for a 6 cell pack) works best for both Nickel Metal Hydrate(NiMH) and Nickle Cadium(NiCD). For NiCD's you should always discharge you pack right after you are done using it, or it will run "flat" the next time you charge it, meaning you'll loose voltage and runtime until the pack has been cycled a few times. Also always store them discharged to .9v per cell and periodtically cycle them to keep the voltage from dropping to low.
For NiMH you shoud discharge right before you use it, not after you are done using it. Also use .9v per cell cutoff when discharging. when storeing always leave your battery partially charged, if your storing it over 1 months time charge it all the way, for 1 month or less charge to %50. It is also reccommended that you cycle your packs the day before you use them to get them running at their peak.
PowerFlex And other Flex Modes(applies only to peak chargers)
Some chargers have a PowerFlex mode or similar setting that "burps" the batteries in order to reduce the buildup of crystals. It works by periodically reversing the polarity of the current going into your battery. Do not use this on NiMH, it will cause overcharge or false peak. Only use this feature on NiCD's which are not taking a full charge, if your packs are working well, or only need to be cycled a few times just stick to linear charing.
General charging
There are many chargers that have selectable charge amperages. Each capacity and type of cell has certain voltages that work best and are safe for it. As a rule of the thumb you generally want to charge at 1 to 2 times its rated capacity. For example a 2400Mah NiCD pack should be charged at 4 to 5 amps. A 3300Mah pack should be charged at 5 to 6 amps. The higher the amperage rate, within its limits, the more voltage you will get, meaning you'll get a higher ROF, but less runtime. The lower the voltage the opposite occures.
Why spend so much money on a stupid battery?
There are several reasons. Spending extra money on a good battery means you can use your gun longer without having to change out the battery, it also means that you can upgrade your gun more, ask Fox about that, he seems to know as much about mechboxes as I do batterys. Buying a battery wiht more cells ovbiosly increases rof and alllows for higher upgrades. Most of the time that is what people do, but for some cases where you can't fit a bigger battery your only chioce is higher powered cells. The best NiCD cells are 2400's(Sanyo), the best NiMH are 3300 Gold Peak( not sanyos, they are good, but GP's outdo them in every aspect). You could take it even further and buy a Zapped pack from a battery company such as www.promatchracing.com. Basically zapping is a process where the cells capacity is increased, think of it as adding a trubo charger to your car or putting in an M120 instead of the stock spring. Zapped cells are more expensive, but is is worth it, like Fox says about FTK's. The only other alternative is buying a whole bunch of cheper lower capacity batteries, which many people do. But wouldn't it be nice if you could power you gun with an M120 and good ROF all day without having to switch batteries all the time?
If you disagree and are certain that I'm wrong, go to promatchracing and click on faq to find out, they are one of the world's best distributors for high powered racing packs which also work great in airsoft guns
Feel free to ask questions if I have left anything unanswered or comment to the content. I do hope somebody will read this and be enlightened, otherwise I just wasted an hour, yes i know, i type slow.

Last edited by CaPtAiN_InSaNo; 10-22-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:56 AM
Airsoft Ohio Co-Founder

Wallace is a Private First Class
Thanks for the work! Is been a while someone puts up a battery primer, I think it's a nice refresher for everyone, and it does sounds like you know what you are talking about batteries.

Nonetheless, one thing I like to mention is that you do not need to discharge your Ni-CD pack every time. Repeated discharging of the pack actually shortern its service life.

Airsoft is not like RC racing where the performance of your battery pack is measured in how high of a discharge it can sustain. Granted a good set of battery can't hurt, but I've used matched cells in my airsoft guns and there simply isn't enough performance gain to justify the high cost. If price is no object, by all mean spent $80 on a set of zapped, matched cells. But for the majority of users, a good set of 2000mAh pack, when properly maintained, will be more then fine.

Back to the topic, for airsoft purpose, Ni-CD should be periodically deep-discharged to 0.9v per cell (6.3v on a 7-cell, 8.4v pack), maybe twice a year to reduce crystal build-up - not everytime you use it. For the rest of the year, just top it off after each game. As long as you have a good peak-detection charger, it is extremely rare that your Ni-CD pack will develop "memory" effects (the "true" memory effect in Ni-CD battery pack are rarely found outside of geo-stationary satellite batteris).

Ez.Wallace
Old 10-23-2004, 06:02 AM
Airsoft Ohio Co-Founder

Wallace is a Private First Class
Oh btw, the highest capacity Sub-C Ni-MH cell now is 3600mAh, made by Sanyo. But I think the GP3300 still has higher sustainable discharge rate (over 30 amp).

W.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:48 AM

necronomicon is a Private
Send a message via AIM to necronomicon Send a message via MSN to necronomicon Send a message via Yahoo to necronomicon
Any word on Lithium Ion batteries? I heard somewhere about one high as 7000 mAh. Thanks for the refresher
Old 10-24-2004, 01:49 PM

No word yet officially on Litium Ion's. But they are looking verry promising. I'll tell yah what I do know. They weight about half as much as current packs do and they are around 4500 to 7000 Mah in capacity. However there is one big problem, if the cells are drained almost completely they will be ruined, so if someone were to cross the posiitve and negative or have a short in their gun the cells would be ruined. But because their capacity is so high they can sustain a mild Modified R/C racing motor, lets say Trinity Saphire speed gem(17T Single) for 20 minutes!!! That motor puts out a 35 amp draw compared to the 15~25 of airsoftgun motors(airsoft aftermarket ones would have a higher amp draw if they are modified).!!! Pluse their overall size is considerable smaller. So they are far superior in every way. One problem is is that chargers will be expensive for them for the first year or two, and there are only a handful of chargers that currently exist that can charge them, i.e. Tekin BC112A and BC112c and Triton(i think that's what it's called, its relatively new, but can't remember), Turbo Matcher 35 probably can to. There may be others but i'm not sure.
As far as the 3600's, I am aware of them and have been for some time, but as you stated above their sustainable voltage is not as high as Gold Peak's 3300's. Maybe Gold Peak will come of with some Kick A** 3600's. If they do, I will most likely be the first to know and i'll let you guies know as soon as I do. I'm big into R/C racing and always looking for more power, so I try to keep updated on this kinder stuff.

Last edited by CaPtAiN_InSaNo; 10-24-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:52 PM

I'm not quite understanding that, your happy you bought the 3300 GP's or your not happy you bought them? Maybe I didn't state my info on the 3300's and 3600's clearly. The 3300's can hold a higher voltage than the 3600's. So for runtime 3600's obviously, but for max power, nothing currently available can beat Gold Peak 3300's. You can get zapped R/C racing packs at www.promatchracing.com and they can assemble the packs in any configuration you want.
You have the discharge backwards for NiMH, you want to discharge them right before you use them to "liven" up the packs, for 1 week storage charge 10 minutes, for more than 1 week storage charge fully. NiCD's are the ones you discharge for storage. I know, it can be confusing, but read carefully and you'll see that its not. If you still don't understand, go to the promatch website and click on faq, then look for battery maintinance.

Last edited by CaPtAiN_InSaNo; 10-24-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:15 AM

Let me clarify more.
Storage:Charge for 10 minutes for 1 week or less. Charge fully for more than 1 week for NiMH, for NiCD's you need to discharge fully(.9v per cell).
Charging:The day BEFORE you use your pack in a skirmish cycle it 2 or 3 times. That means that you discharge the rest of the power in the pack from storage, then let it cool down to room temp, then recharge it. If you only stored it for 1 week you only need to cycle it 1 time. If its been several weeks i recommend at least 2 cycles to get the power flowing well in the pack again, 3 is best. When you are done cycling the pack the night before, you should discharge 1 more time then recharge for 10 minutes, and finish charging the morning of the skirmish. Trust me on this one, if you do this you'll get much better performance. This applies to NiMH and NiCD's.
I hope that clears it up.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:16 AM

mite is a Private
There have been recommendations for the sub-C cell sizes, but what about the smaller batteries that are used so much in airsoft.

Mite
Old 10-26-2004, 03:23 PM

As far as maintinance is concerned, it is the same as the larger cells. Follow the same procedures you would for Sub-c and AA sized cells as you for the larger cells. The only difference is that their storage capacity is quite a bit less, therefore they cannot sustain high voltages for any lengthy period of time.
If you follow my reccomendations for your Sub-c and AA sized packs then you will notice a big difference(unless you have been following similar procedures already). The difference in the small packs is more noticeable because the impact an improperly maintained pack has on the gun is greater simply because it cannot sustain higher voltages, therefore every volt that the pack can muster to output is crucial.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:49 PM

Enoch247 is a Private
What about chargers? I currently have a crap wall charger that has no smarts what so ever. Is that terribly bad? I've been seriously considering buying this charger:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1111
Would it be good for me ( I have a 9.6v 1100mah and a 9.6v 600mah battery) or is the wall charger sufficient for me?

p.s. Batteries are the single most confusing concept of airsoft to me. So thanxs for the thread.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:45 PM

What size cells are you using? Some chargers cannot charge cells smaller than Sub-c. For a similar price I would suggest the Prophet for chargers in the $40 price range, I now they have reliable peack chargers. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=DYN4036
If you want to go into the $100~200 range I would suggets Tekin BC112c or BC112a, nothing can beat these suckers, I can say that after 7 years of racing on the world circuite and 2 world titles. If you want in the $300 price range go with the Turbo 35 series, they match, discharge, charge packs all in one.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:37 AM

mite is a Private
There were recommendations for particular NiCd and NiMH batteries in the Sub-C size (Sanyo 2400 for the NiCd). Is there a similar exact battery recommendation for AA sizes?

Mite
Old 10-27-2004, 02:21 PM

None that I can think of, ask around and see what cells can sustain the highest voltage.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:00 PM

I would like to reiterate something about PowerFelxing and NiMH cells. Some people will say that it hurts the cells and others say that it is good for them. Both are right, using powerflex can help reduce the buildup of crystals in the cells, but it can also lead to overcharge! So if you use Flex mode(or similar negative pulse discharge modes on other chargers) be sure to watch the cells closely!
Old 10-27-2004, 10:01 PM

Enoch247 is a Private
CaPtAiN_InSaNo

These are the batteries I have. (600mah ,and 1100mah ) Saddly, I know little about them. The bigger of the two batteries have cells with about the diameter of regular AA batteries you would use around the house. The smaller of the two has cells with a larger diameter than AA but smaller than C batteries, but much shorter (I think they're sub C's but I don't know enough to say so)

Also what is the advantage of peak chargers vs wall chargers? Are they faster?
Old 10-29-2004, 02:25 PM

The 600 Mah pack uses cells smalle than Sub-C, not sure what their size designation it, but it is NOT sub-c. Sub-C cells are the cells used in what is considered LARGE batteries. The 1100 Mah pack uses reguar AA sized cells, even though they are rechargeable they are still rated on the same scale as their nonrechargeable brethren. It is hard to say which one will last longer. The 600 Mah pack may have a lower capacity rating but it has a physically larger cell, which makes up for some of its low capacity rating. The 600 Mah pack will most likely work better because it can output a higher voltage even though it would not last as long. Just buy a couple of them, maybe 2 or 3. I am not sure if the $40 charger i suggested is capable of charging those smaller cells, but I would think that it could safely do so since you can select a lower amperage rate of 1 and 2 amps, which is in the range or 2x the rated capacity of the cells. You may want to E-mail dynamite, just do a google search and ask them about it.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:36 PM

There is one more thing I would like to clerify about the worthwhileness of zapped cells. Some one mentioned that zapped and matched packs make no difference in airsoft, but I do believe they are only half right. While matched cells would not impact an airsoft gun in any noticeable way zapped cells certainly can! here is why:
Look at a zapped 6 cell(1.55v per cell) and a plain 7 cell for example.
The 6 cell pack can output a total voltage of 9.3 volts(1.55x6) while the standard 7 cell can only output 8.4 volts even though it has 1 more cell. The reason is Zapping is a simple way of increasing the capacity of the cell. The difference is runtime, the 7 cell will be able to sustain its voltage for a longer period of time, but for airsoft applications where we recharge after every skirmish that extra runtime will not come into play or even be noticeable in all likely hood. The point being is that most guns cannot accept an 8 cell battery without mounting it on the outside or doing quite a bit of modification right? So maybe you want a higher ROF or a stronger spring and do not want to do a lot of custom work, this is where zapped cells come into play. A 7 cell zapped to 1.5v per cell will act like an 8 cell, the only drawback is because the physical size for storing energy is less it will not last as long, so you can simply recharge it. By buying a zapped pack(good one, not a cheapo one) you have saved yourself the trouble of trying to jerry rig a larger battery into your gun, even if you did go with an 8 cell and made it a zapped one you would have a pack that acts like a 9 cell giving you the ability to upgarde more or have a higher ROF. So based on this information does it not seem logical to go for the extra money if you have it?
Old 10-29-2004, 08:29 PM

Agent 47 is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Agent 47
ah, my head asplode. in a good way. Sticky the thread!

I need to sit down and read it all thoroughly.
Drew

Airsoft Kentucky original gangsta.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:09 PM

this may be a dumb question, but how do i sticky the thread?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:04 PM

Lol. I guess I didn't waste that 1 hour of free time after all.
If anybody has any particular experiences with certain cells, packs, chargers and manufactueres please feel free to post what you think of them, good or bad. I think it could help people looking for a battery save time and trouble. I can mainly only help with sub-c cells because I have experience with them over several years of racing. But I do not have any particular experience with AA sized and those medium sized packs other than charging them.

So I'll start off with 2400 Mah NiCD's. They are some of the best NiCD's out there, they seem to have quite a bit of punch and runtime, sadly though that is the end of the line for NiCD's, I do not believe there are any common NiCD's that exceed their capacity and punch. I've noticed that 4 amps works best with these cells in terms of general performance and longevity. In fact I bought a 6 cell 2400 matched pack for $15, the guy didn't seem to have much experience with it or how to take care of it, but it survived and works well now after reassembling it and cycling it, they are pretty tough cells so if you want reliability in the NiCD department buy Sanyo 2400's. 2000's are good to if your on a budget, decent capacity with decent price.

The other cells I really like are Gold Peak 3300's. The reason I am going to suggest Gold Peak over Sanyo is because the GP cells are tougher, they can take more abuse for a longer amount of time and still work, the Sanyo cells seem to "die" easier. The GP's also have more kick to them (would be noticeable in terms of ROF and Highly upgraded guns). But don't worry if you have sanyo 3300's, they are still really good cells.

that's my .02$ on personal good experience with 2400's and GP 3300's, now for the bad.

Do NOT buy panasonic 2700's or 3000's. They just don't seem to last, I had a pair of 2700's NiMH and I used them my R/C truck and they only lasted about a year, maybe I just had gotten a bad batch, which happens to any battery company occasionally, but I still don't trust them, at least not nearly as much as Sanyo and Gold Peak. I don't know is Panasonic still makes rechargeable Sub-c's, has anyone seen them around still?
Old 11-02-2004, 04:08 PM

i'm sorry i didn't ever answer you question about peak chargers versus wall chargers Enoch. I'll try to answer it now.
One of the major differences is that wall chargers charge by a method called Trickle Charging. It basically chargers at verry low amperage rates, probably in the 200 to 250 Mah range. This method of charging takes a considerable amount of time, anywhere from 10 to 20 hours! depending on cell capaicty. It is also quite inacurate when it comes to fully charing the packs.
Peak chragers charge at much higher amperage rates, anywhere from 1 amp all the way to 12 amps depending on manufacturer. Most common is 4 and 5 amps. They often also allow different charge rate settings, such as my Tekin BC112c which I use for racing, i can charge a pack anywhere from .01 amps all the way to 12 amps in increments of .01! The purpose of such a broad range is longevity, it allows the charger to stay updated with increasing cell capacity. Anyhow most ppl would never use that anyway, 1,2,4 and 5 amps are probably enough for most ppl, especially in airsoft. The other MAJOR difference is the PEAK detection. Basically when a battery reaches its absolute full capacity it is considered Peaked(lightbulb going on!). After a battery has reached its full capacity and is still recieving charge its voltage will drop, a peak charger simply detects that drop in voltage, typically between .04 and .03v drop then it shuts itself off or turns to trickle mode(trickle mode in peak chargers is designed to keep the pack fresh because as soon as you take it off the charger it starts to loose power, some more quickly than others, trickle charging in a peak charger keeps the voltage from dropping, it is not inteded to charge it, basically a compensation for the dropping voltage). Some chargers this mode can be disabled, such as my BC112c. So the main reason for buying a peak charger, which you can pick up a decent one for around $40 is to make sure you batteries are getting their full charge, not under charged or overcharged with is verry common with wall chargers. Wall chargers will continue to charge even if the pack is full, which is harmful to the battery. The opposite can also occure with a wall charger, it could undercharge the battery depending on when you take it off, thus your pack will not last as long.

Last edited by CaPtAiN_InSaNo; 11-02-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:44 AM

Enoch247 is a Private
Thanks that clears up so much for me. Hey is "fast charging" all that terribly bad for battery packs?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:34 PM

No it is not. I know this is not R/C racing, but the packs are under alot more stress when used in an R/C truck, so I only mention it to illustrate what abuses the packs can take.
Now, on to your question, no it will not decrease the life of your pack any, some people will say yes, but look at who is saying that. If you don't beleive me ask any hobby shop or go on an R/C forum, a peak charger will actually make your packs last longer! because they are not being overcharged. A "fast" charger can possibly shorten the life of the packs conisderably because overcharge will occure more quickly. But if watched carefully no it will not, I would suggest a peak charger over a quicke charger, you can get a solid peak chargers for about $40, duratrax and dynamite make commonly used ones. The extra few dollars is deffinately worth it, you probably will spend more on a spring and metal bushings than on a common peak charger.
In case your confused about the different types of chargers i'll list them and what they do specifically:
1. Wall chargers - Charge by trickle charging, will continue to charge unless unplugged. Over charge is common but not as harmful because of low charge amperages.
2. Fast Chargers/timed chargers - similar to a wall charger, but charges at higher amperage rate, almost always 4 amps, will shut off and turn to trickle mode when timer expires. Overcharge is much more harmful because of the higher amperage rate.
3. Common Peak Chargers - Charges at higher amperage rates similar to fast charger, shuts itself off(usually switches to trickle mode) when the battery has reached full capacity. Several adjustable charge rates, 1, 2, 4, 5 amps most common.
4. High Performance Peak Chargers - Adjustable charge rates, adjustable cutoff, PowerFlex capabilities, discharge capabilities, battery matching capabilities, adjustable charge profiles. These chargers are common in R/C racing, but rare in airsoft cause most of the time you would not need those features, I would say that the only commonly used charger that comes close to fitting this category would be the Duratrax Intellipeak series which runs around $120.

Last edited by CaPtAiN_InSaNo; 11-03-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:00 PM

XSidewinderX is a Private
Send a message via AIM to XSidewinderX
I have a simple tip for those with the mini/large adapter problems. I had that problem and I just took some wires and stripped them and just stick the bare ends into the batterys sockets. Never had a problem for the year/half I have been doing it...
Old 01-06-2005, 07:00 AM

fishgoh0nk is a Private
OK.....i think i narrowed it down to my batteries......

i had posted on another forum about my charger, they pointed out to me that it shouldn't be used on MINIs.... well, guess what, mine happens to be a mini.... freaking owner's manual for universal dumbass charger didn't tell me that..... only anything between 1100 and 3000 mah...... freaking A....

so i probably fried my battery.... is it really fried? or can i recover it? the charger charges at 2amps, i didn't know that was bad for it..... is it fried?? or can i recover it??! PLEASE HELP!!!!

ok... this is how i found out.... i opened up the gun, looked at the lower gearbox, it's all good, perfect shim, everything.

opened up the upper gearbox holding the piston, i found polycarb black mixed in with my lube, i scraped that out, and i assumed that my piston was getting torn because it mite be too big, so i shaved the piston guides a bit. relubed. didn't work.

so then i took it out again, and changed the spring from my m100 back to stock ics.... m80-90. batteries wouldn't run it. i had just charged both NOT on my universal dumbasscharger, but on my wall charger for the amount of time i needed to. 600/500 = 1.2 hours + 30 minutes just for trickle........ the battery was fresh.... it shot a shot, and then died.... i ran JUST the gears and it ran out... are my batteries dead?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: