Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 PM
What plants crave

Evil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a Sergeant
Official "Clone M249" Thread

Big Battery Project:

Introduction
We added a M249 para to the team recently. Our biggest concern was battery capacity since we could only fit a mini battery under the forgrip. After tooling around with the gun for a week, I noticed a large space in the box mag under ther BB's storage area and above the feeding mechnism. It is a perfect space for a large battery. So the plan was to go from 9.6v 1400mah to 9.6v 4500mah without making any major changes to the outside of the gun. We didn't want to see the battery. PEQ box was out, and we were not going to use a battery bag. The idea was to reinforce the space inside the box mag hide the battery and hide the wires. So the project was on.

Items Needed
Soldering Gun
Wire Strippers
Philips Screwdriver
Allen Wrenches
Deans Plugs
Wire
Shrink tubes
Piece of flat plastic
Supper glue
Drill

Step one was to re-route the wires from the front up through the top of the receiver. I moved the battery leads to the gearbox up and out where the hopup chamber sits.

Step two was to take appart the box mag and prep the space where the battery will sit. I had to bend down the wire contacts for the BB feeder. Then cut a flat peice of plastic to sit on top of the BB feeder motor and batteries. Using super glue I secured it to the motor mechanism. This allows the battery to slide in and out of the box mag without getting cought on anything.

Next was to wire a battery lead out of the box mag without drilling any holes on the box mag. To do this I fed the wires up and out through the same path that the microphone takes. It gets the wires up and out to where the boxs mag attaches to the magwell. This only required drilling a small hole in the magazine piece that fits into the gun mag well. Using black shrink tube a covered the wire.

Putting it all back together left the gun showing only a small wire going from the mag well up to the receiver. Once I get my dummy rounds in you will not see the battery wire at all. In the end I'm pleased with the look, the ROF, and capacity. It's also really easy to change out the battery by removing the side of the box mag. Total time to complete the project: 3 hours.

BTW, I have a bore up cylinder, M120 spring, and it shoots like a champ.
Evil Head is not repsonsible for sarcasm. If sarcasm lasts more than four hours, consult a doctor. Evil Head's comment may cause prolonged bleeding and sexual inactivity. Do not read these comments if you are pregnant. Some mild bruising of the ego may occur. If so, stop using sarcasm immediately.

Last edited by Evil Head; 05-30-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 PM

Sidd is a Private First ClassSidd is a Private First Class
I just put my big battery in my stock

LOL

Good job Ray, Also I have heard via the HUGE M249 thread in Arnie's you can fit a crane battery in the forgrip

(14:33:39) Agent_Spencer: You just fly into an uncontrollable punching rage with those mother****ers on.
(14:33:48) Agent_Spencer: It's like High Speed Low Drag Hulk Hands.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:52 PM
What plants crave

Evil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a SergeantEvil Head is a Sergeant
Then I take it your dinner didn't taste like solder fumes?
Hey, is that the "Pretty Woman" DVD! Turn in your man card.

One thing I'm noticing it how it balances out the gun.
Evil Head is not repsonsible for sarcasm. If sarcasm lasts more than four hours, consult a doctor. Evil Head's comment may cause prolonged bleeding and sexual inactivity. Do not read these comments if you are pregnant. Some mild bruising of the ego may occur. If so, stop using sarcasm immediately.

Last edited by Evil Head; 05-30-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:07 PM

mw2010 is a Private
Send a message via Yahoo to mw2010
This would work fine for the MKII version wont it? Got one being shipped right now but I dont wanna be stuck with the small battery.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
What plants crave

Yes, this will work with the MKII. I can only speak for the ECHO 1 box mag. It might be easier to modify the rear stock or buy the CA stock. Although my modification cost less than $10. Deans plugs plus wire.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:20 PM
What plants crave

From what I hear the Echo 1 MKII rear stock is too narrow for a large battery. Strange if you ask me.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:30 PM
What plants crave

A good review over on MidwestAirsofters.com describes the MKII stock problem on the ECHO 1. His solution was to buy a CA stock.
Here's the link to the review: http://www.midwestairsofters.com/ind...=238&Itemid=36

Notice how narrow the Echo 1 stock is compared to the CA. Repacing the Echo stock with a CA one would be the easiest solution, but most likely not the cheapest.

Last edited by Evil Head; 05-30-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:32 PM

Yes the battery does fit though it just barely fits. If you have the battery wrapped in a lot of tape it probably wont fit.

you can grid down the inside of the metal cap on the end of the stick till it fits or do a battery job of making a battery lol

edit: hmms thats weird I got mine to fit, what size cells are you guys using?? I am using SUB c

(14:33:39) Agent_Spencer: You just fly into an uncontrollable punching rage with those mother****ers on.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 PM

HardLock is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to HardLock
Am I seeing that right? The mag motor is powered by 2 AA batteries? You may want to find a remedy to THAT problem. The M249 doesn't work very well if the BB flow stops

The TOP (and CA?) use a 9V battery to drive the mag motor. Best solution is to wire the mag motor directly into the 9.6V main battery. However, I don't know if that is an option on a "AA" powered version. Maybe you could drop voltage down from main battery with some resistors.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:53 PM
What plants crave

I have considered that, but that will be another time consuming project for the future. It will be easier since the battery is already wire in the box. In the meantime i'll get some lithium AA's.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:07 PM

I have my Box mag wired directly to a 9v with an external pressure switch and it feeds great, weather it will burn out the motor in the long run i dunno. I removed the little circuit board and the wind by sound function.

I am wondering if it can be rewred to 9volt and still be able to use the sound activated function, or will the extra juice kill the little circuit board?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:44 PM

I need to retract my previous statements about a larger battery in the A&K stock

It fit but not to a point where I could close the thing, so now I have a CA stock on its way from AEX. Sorry for the misinformation

Old 06-07-2008, 09:49 PM

smith2 is a Private
How is the mag holding up with the extra weight? My A&K box mag feels like it is about to fall off just by being filled to full capacity.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:06 PM

IF you bend the bracket the box mag fits into just a little bit its a lot more solid

Old 06-15-2008, 09:50 AM

mw2010 is a Private
Send a message via Yahoo to mw2010
How to disassemble Echo1 M249 hopup

Could anyone give me some advice of how to tear this thing apart. I have got the bucking, and inner barrel out, but I am afraid I can't figure out how to take the rest of it apart.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Grease Man is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Grease Man
Be very careful, there is a tiny ball bearing inside of the SAW hop ups and if you loose it your in big trouble.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:42 PM

swervin45601 is a Private
Send a message via Yahoo to swervin45601
If the Echo1's anything like the A&K model they do not have a ball bearing in the hopup this causes the hopup to be ineffective unless fixed. You can read about a fix here http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forum...=#entry1552195 personally I just cut a longer n u b.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:31 PM

Killbucket is a Private
Nice job, much cleaner than what I did.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:56 PM

smith2 is a Private
A&K m249 hopup problems

A while back, my SAW got jammed. I had to remove the hop up in order to get the bb out. After I put it back together, the gun started firing wierdly. I opened it up to find out that bbs were getting stuck in the hop up rubber, so I installed a guarder hop up bucking. While looking at the hop up chamber for any other problems, I noticed that the n.ub would not move wen the hop up is adjusted. I removed the old one and replaced it with the guarder n.ub that came with the bucking. It seemed to work fine then, with the n.ub going up and down when I adjust the hop up.

When I tried firing the gun again, the hop up seemed to not work at all, no matter how far I adjust it. I even tried placing a peice of plastic in between the bucking and the cap to close the gap and get the bucking to push further.

So, the main thing is, when I have the hop up taken apart, is seems to work fine, but when its in the gun, it does not work at all.

Help :\
Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 PM

Mr. Black is a Private
Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Black
did you remember the oring that keeps everything together?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:46 PM

smith2 is a Private
if u mean the o-ring in the middle of the unit, then yes.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:06 AM

smith2 is a Private
The n.ub I have in there is the guarder one. Could it not be long enough? (ive asked that waaaay too many times.... )
Old 07-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Belt-fed doom

Hillslam is a Private First Class
Better fix is to cut a bit of 14guage speaker wire insulation to length and use that. Also- oil the *OUTSIDE* of your hopup bucking, and make sure the unside is *DRY DRY DRY* The Big Out H-hop ***s, white ones, also work well but cost more. But the wire thing is customizable to your gun needs. Oil and clean the channel the *** rides up and down in.

Make sure the whole hopup chamber is seating against the mechbox by placing a washer around the inner barrel in front of the hopup for the inner barrel spring to push against, providing a little extra closure pressure. Soak the O-ring black mentioned in silicon oil for 1/2 hour then towel it off and put it back in.

If you're still getting erratic behaviour - clean the inside of your inner barrel with brass cleaner. Barring that, swab it out with silicon oil and DRY DRY DRY it.

Sooner or later, karma catches them all.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:47 PM

smith2 is a Private
Thank you guys for your help. Upon further inspection, it was discovered that the old n.ub had broken in half, and part of it stayed in the unit. After removing the piece and putting in the new n.ub, the hop up works fine now.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 PM

H.O.S.68 is a Private
Send a message via Yahoo to H.O.S.68
Problems with my A&K M249 and box mag.

I recently bought an A&KM249mkI out of the box it work fine both with the box mag and rifle magazines. I fired over 2000 rounds through it and had no problems. I recharged the battery and changed the two AA batterys in the box mag.Went to practice saturday and turned the box mag on and it loaded the bb's into the spring tube then shut off.When I fired the saw nothing came out . I had the box mag firmly in the well so seating of the mag isnt the problem. When the mag was removed bb's fell out of the well. I noticed a bb in the chamber but on the other side of the striker.I tipped the saw side ways and tapped it and the bb fell out.When I refired it the same think happened ,so I switched to a rifle mag. Same result .So my first problem seems to be a feeding problem/chambering the bb's. The second problem is the box mag wont run now. When I turn it on auto it gives one click then stops.I emptied the mag and as far as I can see theres no bb's stuck in it.How do I test to see if the motor is burned out or some other problem? Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks.
Thom Braden

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: