Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

India is a Private First ClassIndia is a Private First Class
Pryme PATRIOT Tactical Headset

http://www.pryme.com/products/tacticalkit/SPM-1400T

I recently bought the above headset, and wanted to let others know about a problem I found with it.

PROBLEM
When you push the PPT button, there's an audible and tactile click. However, the transceiver isn't always activated when you hear the click. You have to push just a bit more after the click to consistently open the mic. I discovered this while testing my gear using two radios. I clicked the PTT, and noticed that, on the second radio, my transmission was turning off and on. If you don't have a mic nearby to listen for this erradic transmission, you'll never know you have a problem.

SOLUTION
1. Remove the four screws from the back of the PTT disc.
2. Very slowly and carefully pull the lower portion down. The two halves are connected by wiring, so don't pull too hard or too far. Once the halves are apart, you'll see a large plastic dome in the middle of the lower portion.
3. Carefully apply a small piece of double-sided foam tape (~1mm thick) to the top of the plastic dome.
4. Reassemble the unit.
5. Test the PTT to make sure you "took up the slack" effectively. Too little material and it will still be inconsistent. Too much material and it will be too sensitive. With the added material between the exterior and interior switches, the PTT button will function much more reliably, and when you hear and feel the click of the button, you can be sure that you're actually transmitting.

Last edited by India; 07-26-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Proofread
Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Masakatsu Agatsu

India is a Private First ClassIndia is a Private First Class
I discovered a secondary benefit to this fix. Before, if you hit the PTT button at the edge, it didn't actuate the transceiver; you had to hit in pretty much dead center. After the fix, I can now actuate the radio from any spot on the PTT button, including the edge, which should reduce mistakes due to stress-related fumbling of the button.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Belt-fed doom

Hillslam is a Private First Class
Hey Banker- thanks for this tip!

I've been using this headset since 2006 and love it, but as of late my PTT button has been getting abit wonky. I may just take it apart and do your tip.

Overall though I can't complain, 4 years for a headset with HEAVY usage and all I have to complain about is a little stickyness in the PTT button, when probably a half dozen other headsets/PTT button combos have come and gone from my household, says alot about this unit in and of itself.

IMO its the best on the market.

Sooner or later, karma catches them all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: