Airsoft Ohio Forums  
Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 PM

viper is a Private
Question Heat Tolerance

So I am wondering about peoples heat tolerance.

Personally as of right now mine is absolutely horrific. When I was younger I couldn't deal with it very well but getting older and airsofting and working in a garden center I got very used to it and was going strong in 90 degree heat. But since my injury as of early August last year, I have had to leave work twice because of the heat. One day it was almost 90 and the other it was only mid 70s and super windy. I just can't hack it anymore.

Do not say it is because of lack of hydration, I was still going to the bathroom every 30 minutes almost and it was coming out clear and I still went down.

So my questions are these,

How do you personally build it up? Other than go work in the heat and ya, something a little deeper than the obvious. It is very hard with the tri-polar weather here in Ohio.

Can you just take the heat well? Like come out of winter and start going strong or does everyone have to build up some?

Other things that help build up your tolerance?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM

Bronco is a Private
I think most people just gradually get used to it. I know right now half my football team complains about the heat when we run and its only like 70, but once we get into two a days, 80 degrees will feel cool.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM

WhiteOut is a Private
I have a terrible heat tolerance. I sweat like a pig (partially because I am fat). I learned to deal with it and I am working on getting it lower by working out everyday, drinking at least 82-94oz. of water everyday.
MARSOC (WIP)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Flenner is a Recruit Private
Send a message via AIM to Flenner Send a message via Skype™ to Flenner
I am normally really good with heat. I can run on half the water of most people, and I'm not in the best of shape. I will tell you I sweat like a pig though.

Just have a job outside or go outside in the summer really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Thus marketh the only time anyone hath used the search feature on AO
in 2Tall's basement doing things
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 AM

D-Boy is a Private
Send a message via AIM to D-Boy
Once you are a heat casualty, you are more susceptible to being one again. Heat Cramps < Heat Exhaustion < Heat Stroke. You make have had a more severe heat related injury where your core temp was rather high. This could mean you have done permanent damage to your body.

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. Ron Swanson
Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM

PMO Gordo is a Private
Here are a couple of tips I find very helpful:

1. Physical readiness / fitness: forget the long slow distance jogging. Airsoft, like the infantry combat, requires bouts of short intense effort. In other words, you need to train more like a football player. The Army PRT's 30:60 and 60:120 are good interval workout that you can try. The number before the colon is the work period in seconds and the number after the colon is the rest period. Put 100% and 75% sprint effort respectively during work period, and walk briskly during rest period. Build from 1-2 intervals and increase 1 interval every 1-2 sessions. It might help with heat tolerance if you train while wearing your gear after you get pretty good at the workout.

2. Breathable clothing. Sweat clinging to your skin traps body heat. You want to wear breathable materials for the base layer, such as Spandex. If you can afford combat shirts - shirts with the front and back of the torso areas replaced with breathable materials - that would be even better.

3. Hydration. Hydration pack is a must. It encourages drinking every once a while, which works better than gulping down tons of water every hour.

4. Load carriage. If your gear makes you struggle for breath a few minutes into the games, drop the weight you are carrying.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fox is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox Send a message via Yahoo to Fox
I hunt in Colorado every year, along with Ohio. I also did landscaping for about 6 years of my life every summer. I'm very used to temperatures ranging from -15 to 90+ degrees.

Biggest thing, which already has been stated: Hydration. You will get dehydrated when it's subzero just like you will when it's 90 degrees.

After that, having the proper gear for where you're at. If it's summer time? Ditch the plate carrier if you're playing airsoft. Sure, it looks cool - but you don't need it. Wear a light chest. Dress for the weather and dress in layers. Hunting in Colorado, I can have up to 6 layers on me depending on the weather.

Extreme case:
Thermal under garments - Bottom / Top
Silk layer - Wind blocking - Socks / Bottom / Top
Fleece layer - Bottom / Top (typically top only)
Brush stop layer (rip stop clothing) - Bottom / Top
Outer layer (Semi-water proof) - Socks / Bottom / Top
Hard shell outer layer (Rain / snow layer) - Bottom / Top.

Do I wear all these? No.

Hard shell and outer layer bottoms I carry in my back pack. I will often drop down and build back up what I need. temperatures out there can range from 15 degrees in the AM, to 60 degrees during the day (Plus moving with a full pack and gun), back down to 20 in early evening. So I have to be modular. Airsoft is the same way.

Team Leader, 08th Expeditionary Unit
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." ~ Lao Tzu
Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Carbon is Currently being Court Martialled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I hunt in Colorado every year, along with Ohio. I also did landscaping for about 6 years of my life every summer. I'm very used to temperatures ranging from -15 to 90+ degrees.

Biggest thing, which already has been stated: Hydration. You will get dehydrated when it's subzero just like you will when it's 90 degrees.

After that, having the proper gear for where you're at. If it's summer time? Ditch the plate carrier if you're playing airsoft. Sure, it looks cool - but you don't need it. Wear a light chest. Dress for the weather and dress in layers. Hunting in Colorado, I can have up to 6 layers on me depending on the weather.

Extreme case:
Thermal under garments - Bottom / Top
Silk layer - Wind blocking - Socks / Bottom / Top
Fleece layer - Bottom / Top (typically top only)
Brush stop layer (rip stop clothing) - Bottom / Top
Outer layer (Semi-water proof) - Socks / Bottom / Top
Hard shell outer layer (Rain / snow layer) - Bottom / Top.

Do I wear all these? No.

Hard shell and outer layer bottoms I carry in my back pack. I will often drop down and build back up what I need. temperatures out there can range from 15 degrees in the AM, to 60 degrees during the day (Plus moving with a full pack and gun), back down to 20 in early evening. So I have to be modular. Airsoft is the same way.
Wait, so wearing my loaded CIRAS isn't a good idea in the 90 degree summer heat? Had heat exhaustion 2 years ago at a Blind Fury because I was too lazy to refill on water, not an experience i enjoyed, never again, i bring 2 water bladders on me every game and water bottles in my MAP pack for kids who need it.

Me, I'm pretty tolerant with heat more now than before (Maybe because Wrestling has kicked my @$$.) So it doesn't bother me unless I'm hella dehydrated. At OP Broken Home in Oklahoma, I met a guy who left in hour in the 2 day OP because he couldnt take the heat. I also saw guys who were running then just passed out. Keeping cool is key.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:32 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fox is a Private First Class
Send a message via AIM to Fox Send a message via MSN to Fox Send a message via Yahoo to Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Wait, so wearing my loaded CIRAS isn't a good idea in the 90 degree summer heat?
It really is a problem.

I ran a CIRAS in Op. Northern Wind down in Fort Pickett's MOUT site in like '06-'07, in August. It was a level III heat emergency I think? Probably one of the most miserable experiences of my life. Only thing that kept me going was drinking a ton of water.

After that I've pretty much sworn off wearing huge plate carriers when I don't have to. I run an Eagle 1961A now if I need a chest rig. In real gun stuff, which is mostly what I do now - I have a simple belt kit and a hydro pack. 4 mags, 2 spare pistols and a drop pouch. I'm G2G.

Team Leader, 08th Expeditionary Unit
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." ~ Lao Tzu
Old 04-30-2013, 03:17 PM

Sparky is a Private
As stated before, it takes the body awhile to become accustomed to heat/cold. Start exercising out in the warmer weather, start running, etc. Be sure to stay hydrated and your body will adapt to the weather conditions more efficiently.

Also to reiterate Fox, there is no need to wear a decked out plate carrier with a cold weather blouse while playing in the spring/summer. the PC will soak up all of your sweat and trap the heat between your body and the rig.

Too often than not, I'll see kids running around in a cold weather blouse and decked out PC playing in the middle of June. As long as you have some sort of common sense, I think you'll be alright.

Personally, I ditched using a PC in airsoft years ago. No matter the season, I rock my chest rig and it works perfectly for what I need it for, plus I don't have to worry about heat/cold exhaustion as much.
"When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home....Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart."
-Tecumseh

Team Phoenix Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixAirsoftOhio/videos
Team Phoenix:
https://www.facebook.com/teamphoenixairsoft
Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
I will agree that the hotter it gets, the less gear you should run.

Combat shirts are great with rigs, you can actually make your own using sleeves from BDUs and brown t shirt.

So in summer, I usually run an old Alice belt if it gets too hot. Remember, stay hydrated, if it gets too hot, cool off, this is a game after all.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 PM

mac50 is a Private
When you sweat a lot , you lose electrolytes. LOse enough and you will get muscle cramps. Two thing to avoid this is to drink Gatorade or a similar sports drink or eat bananas. Bananas are high in potassium and will help replace what you've lost. I've learned to pace myself. In my younger days when I got overheated, I would either get dizzy and light headed or get violently ill. Neither one is fun. Once I learned to recognize the onset, I'd stop whatever I was doing ( Sorry honey, the roof isn't gonna get finished today) and get in a shower to cool down.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 PM

WhiteOut is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac50 View Post
eat bananas.
I couldn't agree more. I eat about 3-5 bananas a day and it really helps. I would suggest water over Gatorade or Powerade though. ALSO, drink water or Gatorade at lunch or dinner instead of soda. Cut out the soda and you'll see a huge difference in yourself.
MARSOC (WIP)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 PM

Falcon is a Private
Send a message via AIM to Falcon
I handle it quite well actually. I just hate it.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM

viper is a Private
Can you get heat exhaustion but not the cramps?

D-Boy, what kind of permanent damage do you mean?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Administrator

79stang is a Private
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Can you get heat exhaustion but not the cramps?

D-Boy, what kind of permanent damage do you mean?
Once you become a heat casualty, you probability of becoming one again goes up. I think its because of what your body goes through during the extreme dehydration process.

OP Bioshock II, OP Broadsword I,II,& III, OP Paydirt, OP Hot Steel, OP Gambit Package, OP Flashover, OP Hope, OP Intervention, OP Dark Horizon, OP BF9 & X

Team Blizzard

CA M4 CQBR-350FPS
King Arms GBBR-370FPS
Bravo PDW-380FPS
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 PM

lingo12 is a Private
A couple years ago heat would really bother me but ever since I started running cross country I just kinda sweat it off... no pun intended. I agree with Whiteout water is a better choice when staying hydrated
Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 PM

maglips is a Private
Knowing that you don't handle heat extremes well, means you're way ahead of most people. Knowing your limits is key in anything. The best thing you can do to avoid being a heat casualty is to recognize the signs of oncoming problems, and take breaks when appropriate. Be honest with yourself, there's no shame in needing a break, and endangering yourself because of ego is just stupid.
Viper, the best thing you can do is prepare as best you can (appropriate clothing, enough water, etc) and if you feel you are overheating despite this, just take a break.

Here's a thread with some good info.

http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...heat+emergency

Stay in school and you'll do great! And don't forget your vegetables either! - Scorpion

Last edited by maglips; 04-30-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Tags
heat, hydration, tolerance

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: