Airsoft Ohio Forums

Airsoft Ohio Forums (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gear & Accessories (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Question to someone owning a 3x magnifier. (http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52846)

shmartin 04-27-2016 07:26 PM

Question to someone owning a 3x magnifier.

I was wondering if you can use a 3x magnifier on a gun without having a optic in front of it. I was wondering if you could use it like a spotter scope to track the bb trail. I was thinking that because magnifiers do not have a reticle it would give a better sight picture the a standard rifle scope. I would like to know if anyone has tried this.

Potato 04-28-2016 03:27 PM

You can do it. It looks a bit goofy but there's no reason that won't work.

shmartin 04-28-2016 04:16 PM

Thanks that what I figured. It might look strange but if it preforms like I want it to. People can judge me all they want when their the ones pulling out their dead rag. lol.

Tyce 04-28-2016 07:00 PM

Actually seems like i pretty good idea. in reality if there is a lot of wind a magnifier seems a lot more useful then an optic. your optic isn't really going to be doing much if you have to aim 15 feet the the right of someone. but with a magnifier you just follow the bbs into the enemy

79stang 04-29-2016 08:44 AM

I use a 4x AIM scope (looks like an ACOG) and do exactly what you are talking about. It's great to dial in a target with bracketing.

shmartin 04-29-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyce (Post 444666)
Actually seems like i pretty good idea. in reality if there is a lot of wind a magnifier seems a lot more useful then an optic. your optic isn't really going to be doing much if you have to aim 15 feet the the right of someone. but with a magnifier you just follow the bbs into the enemy

My thoughts exactly.

ReverseFlank 04-30-2016 08:33 AM

....Why not use a magnified optic? Then you can at least have a point of aim for your first shot.

shmartin 05-04-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReverseFlank (Post 444673)
....Why not use a magnified optic? Then you can at least have a point of aim for your first shot.

Because of the nature of bbs being so much more inconsistent when compared to real bullets. Having a reticle is almost worthless and really only obstructs your view. Although this is up to personal preference weather you see it that way. I just received my 3x magnifier and finished testing it. I honestly love the thing makes seeing how the bbs fly much easier to be able to adjust. Do to its compact size it also allow me to be able to attach my rail mounted lens protector in front. Which a normal scope would have required me to either get a hand guard rail or make a custom scope protector. Having it mounted and looking at it actually does not look to bad. Ultimately what works for me might not work for you. So all I can tell you is you can consider the option of using a 3x magnifier as a standalone sight.

ReverseFlank 05-05-2016 09:12 AM

Yes, BBs are inconsistent. So is your point of aim when you don't have a reticule. That first shot is just a guess and you will have to adjust from there. Also if you are seeing that much inconsistency within reasonable distance you might have other issues.

My previous build I switched between a micro dot and iron sights. I would have the occasional flyer but I pretty much knew that every time I pulled the trigger the BB could hit a head sized target around that dot at my skirmishing distance.

But, in the end it is your toy gun not mine. Whatever floats your boat.

shmartin 05-07-2016 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReverseFlank (Post 444697)
Yes, BBs are inconsistent. So is your point of aim when you don't have a reticule. That first shot is just a guess and you will have to adjust from there. Also if you are seeing that much inconsistency within reasonable distance you might have other issues.

My previous build I switched between a micro dot and iron sights. I would have the occasional flyer but I pretty much knew that every time I pulled the trigger the BB could hit a head sized target around that dot at my skirmishing distance.

But, in the end it is your toy gun not mine. Whatever floats your boat.

"That first shot is just a guess and you will have to adjust from there." That what your suppose to do. It literally means nothing weather you have a reticule or not. If you listen to what military snipers say they always talk about how almost no kill is a one shot engagement. Meaning the first shot is almost always a spotting round or a "guess". Which almost always miss. Then they adjust accordingly. The same applys to airsoft. You really dont need a reticule for your first shot or even to adjust. When you do not know how to adjust or hold before hand to even make your first shot matter. If you line up your cross hairs directly on were your shooting and fire your going to miss because you did no compensation unless your really lucky.