Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Miku

Rate this Entry

SR-16E3 SD “Lucy” Project

Posted 02-24-2010 at 01:11 PM by Miku
Rather than start a new thread, wherever it would go, I don't even know, I figured I'd just post my project in my blog. Anyway, what I'm attempting to do is build an SR-16E3 SD, based off of this gun:

(Yes Scorp, that's your old SR, hehe.)

I laid out a spreadsheet of sorts so rather than tell, I can list everything I plan on getting for it.

--Legend:
-BLUE = Current Part (Parts already installed, that will be replaced.)
-RED = Priority (Parts I plan on getting first.)
-GREEN = Secondary (Parts to be bought after all primary parts.)

SR-16E3 SD “Lucy” Project

--------CA M15A4 Base
-----External

---Body:
CA Body
KA Knights SR-16E3 Body

---Stock:
CA M16 Stock

---Barrel/RAS:
CA M16 Length Barrel
KA 13.5in Free Float RAS w/ M4 Barrel
KA OPSCAN (320mm)
VFC Extreme Tactical Bipod
Magpul Ladder RAS Covers
Magpul XTM Covers
KA Troy Flash Hider

---Grip:
CA M4 Grip
Magpul PTS MOE Grip

---Sight System:
CA Sights (Rear Cut Down)
Magpul MBUS Sights
Action M3 3.5-10x50 Scope
Accushot 30mm Scope Rings (High)

---Sling:
Pantac 1 Point Bunch
KA M16 Sling Adaptor

------Internal

The reason there is nothing in internal is because I spent a few hours planning just the outside and typing all this up, so I don't feel like spending hours on end planning out the internals right now, but I will soon. As far as the stock goes, I did want to get a Magpul PTS stock, but I need the battery space, because I do not want a PEQ on the front my my gun. At this point I haven't decided whether I want to put it at 400FPS and keep it full auto, or go to 450FPS and disable full auto. I'll probably end up going to 400, since IMO 450 is too low to be worth it, now if the limit was 500... Anyway, I'm up for suggestions, mainly on the INTERNALS, but feel free to talk about whatever aspect of it you want to of course, haha. I'll be updating this every time I get a little further on it, so if you care to follow, check back every week or so.

P.S. I'll get some pictures of the current progress up in a day or so.
Views 8112 Comments 18 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 18

Comments

1. Old
    keep it at 400 and FA also for a parts list I recommend.....

Getting a VFC SR16E3 right off the starting line. They are very realistic replicas and work very well for what they are. Some internals can be replaced, but It's better to have a complete package then trying to build a one off which ends up costing so much more in the end.

After all my years of building one off rifles to fit my needs it's finally possible to just purchase a pre-built rifle with everything you want.

CLICK HERE to see the VFC or CLICK HERE to see the King Arms
    Updated 02-24-2010 at 02:39 PM by Scorpion
  2. Old
    Totally agree with Scorpion. After all the years of buying costly parts, building custom guns, upgrading internals, yadda yadda yadda, us vets have come to realize that it's just more economical now to buy the completely built package (or close to it) and call it a day. Maybe a few cosmetic add-ons or internal parts here and there but that's it.

Plus, these days high grade stock AEGs actually perform as good if not better now than custom built ones (at least better than just a few years ago).

I've been eyeing the SR16E3's myself, because I'm left-handed and the controls on a standard M4/16 totally suck for me.

Just something to think about.
    Updated 02-24-2010 at 02:52 PM by Torque
  3. Old
    I just finished building a nice DMR and for the money it's expensive. I agree with Scorpion and Torque on getting a complete gun right of the bat and going from there. I don't know about the choice's he through out there not to familiar with them. I am familiar with the KWA line of guns and have been very pleased with them and that is what I made my monstrosity out of. They have the meatiest internals I have ever seen from factory guns. Considering I have a m140 spring in there shooting 500fps on factory internals with no problems what so ever, make them top notch in my book. Take a look into the KM16 SR12 they have, very nice gun:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=5634
  4. Old
    (^ I was thinking of getting one of those, glad to hear nothing but positive about them.)

I like where the idea is going though.

I can think that sometimes it is just more fun to build something than to buy it. Case in point being sports cars, people could buy a Corvette, but sometimes the fun is building another car that can beat a Corvette. The labor of love is the fun. I could buy the VFC, but I could build my own and learn a lot of stuff. I get where he is going.

Good luck, it should be sick.
  5. Old
    I can vouch for the King Arms being a beautiful gun out of the box, however from my past experience it will need work out of the box to be skirmishable for those of use with higher standards. These include replacing the cylinder set, motor, and airnozzle. I've seen evidence that KA has upped their wiring to the low-resistance silver wiring in the last year, however the wiring that mine came with was udder crap. The stock motor WILL pull pretty much whatever you like, it has plenty of torque, but trigger response will lack. The stock hop-up has a lot of potential, however lacks some grab, so the arm needs to be extended. The stock inner barrel....is crap if they haven't changed it.

Here is a review of the KA SR16E3 by AATV, to give you some idea of the workings and basics of the rifle. They don't do much to critic it internally, but externally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIoXWNGBkzk

Here is a photo of what mine has evolved to. It started out as KA's VLTOR M4 length CASV model in black

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...4.jpg&newest=1
  6. Old
    Yo Moob, I'm really happy for your project, and I'ma let you finish, but...

If guys name guns after girls, by that rule, shouldn't your gun have a guys name?

Sincerely,

Agent West.
  7. Old
    What would the name "Lucy" be a reference to if you don't mind me asking.
  8. Old
    Quebely: Elfen Lied.

That sounds like a good idea to me guys, I'm liking the VFC one a lot. Well, they're both really good looking and from what you've said about them they both sounds pretty awesome as well. I'll probably go the way of the VFC though, and then just add small things here and there, like the MOE grip and such. Not now, because I'm sick as hell, but I'll rework the parts list with the VFC in there.
  9. Old
    Great choice on sticking to the VFC and on a side note I really miss that rifle, it was too much fun. Especially when she was tuned for 590fps at 20RPS.

If you decide to get the VFC and want help installing any parts just let me know and we'll make a day of it
  10. Old
    God I was hoping you'd say that.
  11. Old
    I would second the idea of a KWA. Out of the box it is the most accurate gun I've ever fired and the internals are second to none. I would check out the KWA sr10 or the KWA sr12, both are great. If you put in an edgi tightbore barrel, it should shoot very well.
    Posted 02-25-2010 at 05:04 PM by MeticulousAssasin MeticulousAssasin is offline
  12. Old
    Meticulous....on the topic of internals KWA is the EXACT same level as VFC's current offerings. They are all cheap crap inside that needs replacing when it breaks. So use it up while it lasts and then get better while you're fixing the damage from a failure.

I'd vote PDI over edgi since it's a better quality barrel and since PDI can be purchased factory direct now through X-fire's website at 30% less than any retail price.

Overall the VFC really is the best choice for what Miku's trying to build in terms of functionality, realism, and dependable plastic blaster. This coming from the guy who's built just about everything custom until he bought a PTW and then customized that because it STILL wasn't good enough
  13. Old
    Keep us updated on the build and VFC's quality. I've been eyeing that gun ever since I saw it on their website a few back.

And FYI, I did give my KA a pretty big beating with problems, but Don't get mistaken, its a great rifle. Does it need work? You bet, and still does. But doesn't this apply to every rifle on the market currently?
  14. Old
    "But doesn't this apply to every rifle on the market currently?"

Yes! Even PTWs
  15. Old
    Building a rifle based off something scorpion built? Shouldn't we all know that nothing scorpion builds ever lasts that long, for whatever reason? This is why we cant have nice things!

16. Old
    I have heard of some problems with the hop up in the VFC. I don't know if it was a lemon, or applies to all models, but it wouldn't hurt to install a new hop up unit. Also, Scorpion, are you talking about the VFC e-series or the VFC regular models? The regular VFC models are more expensive than a KWA. Anyway, do what you want, it's pretty much a toss up.
    Posted 02-27-2010 at 08:19 PM by MeticulousAssasin MeticulousAssasin is offline
  17. Old
    Thank you so much guys! This post helped me so much on my next project. Once again thanks to Meticulous, scorpion, Blacksheep, Torque and especially Miku!
  18. Old
    Stew, as I remember Aaron saying once, we may have Ferrari's, but we drive the hell out of them .