Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > WhiteRook

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

My relentess pursuit of upgrades for my M1A1

Posted 04-30-2010 at 08:06 PM by WhiteRook
Hello Everybody:

I just thought I might blog about my relentless pursuit of upgrades for my M1A1 Thompson. I started with the idea that I bought a cheap gun, so I could afford expensive upgrades over time ... less of am impact on the budget, etc.

Well, some of you have seen my work on my Thompson because I have posted it and I'm very proud of it.

I first started by simply upgrading the battery from 8.4v to a 9.6v ... a friend turned me on to this type of upgrade, it seem harmless and it was good. I then jumped right into mainlining upgrades to the gearbox ... first the bushings, then the cylinder, piston, tightbore inner barrel, etc ... OMG, I went from 350 fps up to 380 fps.

Still, it wasn't enough. I wanted more. Not only did I want a high muzzled velocity, I wanted ... no, no I craved ... a high rate of fire.

So, going from 8.4v to a 9.6v was good ... then going from a 9.6v to a 10.8v or even a 12v would have to be better, right! So I did it! Got a 2000mAh 10.8v battery an put it in ... the ROF was awesome, but the battery was so hot, I could have used it as a hand warmer

After that fiasco, I checked into rehab.

In rehab (Ajax Chat), I found that what I really needed to do was stick with the 8.4v/9.6v battery with my current level of upgrades for my AEGs but I should investigate upgrading the motor. I should look at optimizing my guns performance in both muzzle velocity and rate of fire rather than maximizing each of them.

Balance, Grasshopper, balance. (Kung Fu)

So, out of rehab tonight, I bought a Systema Turbo motor it works great once I get some figures on ROF increase Ill post.

Now, Im worried about the tappet plate and the gears oh well, there is always tomorrow!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 11115 Comments 7 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old
    Just remember this:
    FPS is inversely proportional to ROF.

Trying to aim for high amounts of both is a foolish game. Something will eventually strip or break because of the stress on the gearbox.

My advice is, if you want high ROF, stick with ~350 FPS or lower.
    There are also a lot of little tricks you can do to increase reliability with high speed (downgrade spring, shave 2nd/3rd piston teeth, change angle of engagement, swiss cheese piston, add mosfet, high speed gears & motor, ball bearings, etc.)

Have fun with it!
    Updated 04-30-2010 at 09:22 PM by Torque
  2. Old
    After all of that... I don't want to be on the wrong end of THAT gun!
  3. Old
    To be honest, when I saw it said upgrades for an M1A1 I was hoping for it to be about a tank.
  4. Old
    Be weary of the realm of upgrading. A vast and treacherous moneypit awaits us all.
  5. Old
    $970 on a Classic Army M15A4 Sportline....and now it kicks ***...
  6. Old
    I upgraded my TM Thompson 4-5 years ago, a guarder full tune-up kit (for a P90), and a Prometheus barrel, and it's still going strong (could use a new spring though, shoots 350ish). I also added a 9.6v large, but I had to "modify" the stock (and by that I mean melt out some of the supports that were in the way). Great gun, v6 gearbox is just soooo reliable, or maybe it's just TM, or maybe both. If only someone could stop that dreaded front barrel support from cracking...

Anyways, I like your avatar pic.

Also, rof isn't everything, you'll learn that when your gun breaks in the middle of play and you have to go home right after the day starts...

This is what I've learned about airsoft, 'If it works, be happy'. And always have a backup...
  7. Old
    properties, especially his goodness ugg boots online or beauty.
    The difference is that christian louboutin sale eros is a kind of passionate desire for an object, whereas

philia originally christian louboutin booties meant a kind of

christian louboutin boots sale affectionate

christian louboutin on sale friendly feeling towards
    but also possibly towards family members christian louboutin online

xzx