Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Baked Juice

Rate this Entry

Its delicious AND nutritious!

Posted 03-05-2011 at 08:13 PM by Baked Juice
So, today marks the start of my third week of trying to shed some weight. While according to my scale I've gained 5 pounds...I feel great. Also, according to HayStack, I appear to be slimming down (hahaha thanks for that)!

Running is no problem for me, I do it everyday but Wednesday, and I actually enjoy it. As I previously said I feel great! I dont get out of breath as easily, and moving point to point at the S.T.A.C.C. Open play already seemed easier on me.

So, onto what the title suggests. Like I said...running is fine with me, I like it. However, a proper diet is a big help to losing weight. I need some things that will satisfy hunger throughout the day, but are at least somewhat healthy.

To start out...I don't eat breakfast. I wake up at 5:45 every morning for school, get a shower, and basically go back to sleep until
I need to leave for the bus at 6:35. I never really have time for it. What are some quick things I can fix to start my morning right?

Second...lunch is important to me. I don't eat breakfast, and generally my family eats dinner around 8:00. As Reaper said a few weeks ago, our school lunches are anything and everything but healthy. What are some simple things that I can throw together before I leave for school, or before I go to bed?

Third. Mid-afternoon. As I said previously, my family eats dinner rather late, and in school I have lunch at about 10:30ish (I don't really know). So, right about when I get home at 2:30ish, I'm kinda hungry. What is a SMALL snack I could have, instead of grabbing the nearest thing? (i.e. A bag of chips)

Finally. Dinner. Normally my dad will cook, and will have meat, vegetables, etc. But certain days my dad will work late and need to sleep (he works nights) go in early etc...and on those days he obviously doesn't cook. My mom doesn't like to cook so sometimes we'll just go without dinner. But, we usually make Mac n' Cheese or one of those box meal things you buy at Wal-Mart and such. These should be relatively healthy, but what else is there I could make for myself?

I know portion sizes mean everything...so, what is recommended? Sometimes serving sizes are too much or too little. Honestly, one cup of cereal? C'mon! Maybe that's just my opinion...

So, just like last time, any and all help is gratefully welcomed and appreciated!

Sam Igel, aka Baked Juice
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8507 Comments 19 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 19

Comments

1. Old
    Idea for breakfast: make some kind of shake the night before and throw it in the fridge. Think fruits to start with. A banana and a large scoop of peanut butter is a great way to start (the protein in the pb will stave off hunger longer). Throw in milk at least to make it smooth, but a scoop of yogurt first will also go a long way. Some kind of carbs for energy in the morning would be a good thing, but I'm not sure what you could put in the smoothie for this (who wants to drink oats?). If you barely have the time, try to get a slice or two of toast. Whole wheat is even better. You could probably throw a pb&j in the fridge with the smoothie the night before if you don't mind a cold breakfast.

For lunch, just try to lean away from the chips and ho-hos obviously, there's really nothing you don't already know here. Get a bag of carrots (the big whole ones if you want to save $, the baby carrots are convenient but cost more), and throw some of those in there, along with an apple. Other than one (or two) sandwiches for the carb intake, this is a good time to get in your fruits and veggies - as well as with your afternoon snack. Best option for the sandwich(es) is meat and cheese, but at least some kind of protein even if it's peanut butter. A yogurt cup is great too. Somewhere, you need to make sure to get your dairy, so if you're not drinking milk for dinner, figure out where you can get it.

Portion sizes: Honestly, my opinion is to eat slowly so your "hunger sense" can appropriately adjust to the contents of your stomach, and never let yourself feel over filled. Yeah, smaller portions is a thing, but if you're always feeling hungry, you're just delaying the inevitable gorging. Smaller meals over time is best. In fact, if you follow the idea of always eating before you get hungry (which takes a bit of scheduling and prediction), then you won't overeat, and be more satisfied with less. It's when we're like "OhmanI'mhungryFOOD!nomnomnom" that we eat faster than our body can respond with "Woah, WOAH, we're GOOD here, man, we're - HEY! PUT DOWN THE DESSERT ROLL!".

It sounds like you're making great strides so far, just keep it up. You're probably gaining muscle mass, which accounts for the increase in weight, but also the slimmer look - and this is more important than a number on a scale. Take everything anyone says (including me) with a grain of salt, think for yourself, but just keep it up.
    Posted 03-07-2011 at 10:12 AM by |:Red.October:| |:Red.October:| is offline
    Updated 03-07-2011 at 10:14 AM by |:Red.October:|
  2. Old
    I've read several reports that say not to go off the scale but to focus on how you feel. Its easy to get discouraged if the numbers don't go down.
  3. Old
    you need breakfast
    Posted 03-07-2011 at 01:27 PM by German u.s. marine German u.s. marine is offline
  4. Old
    I lost track of my work out, so I kinda like gained some weight back, but now I'm walking around my block, eating right, and watching my calorie intake. The biggest problem for me is running, I just can't seem to control my breathing when I run, It sucks, because I use to love running as a kid, i would do it every day. But now its hard for me. I have good form when i run, because a friend of mine told me how to have a good form but the breathing when i run just throws me off. Any idea on how to control that. If i could then i would be able to jog a little faster than normal and not have to catch my breath.
  5. Old
    breakfast is important, its actually better to eat less more often because it keeps your metabolism constant, going the 12- 14 hours between dinner and lunch is like hitting the afterburner on a jet after starting up the turbines. something good for the morning are granola bars. they have grains and a lot of other good stuff, i have friends that live off the things
  6. Old
    Baked, you were carrying yourself more upright and proud.

I will have to agree with German US Marine/ You have to eat in the morning. My guess is your over-eat at night(eating to late), then dont feel hungry in the morning. Big mistake, my mistake.

Do worry about it, stay focused. Keep up the great work, and enjoy the EGLM
  7. Old
    Eat in the morning. Even a bowl of Total will do the job, as it's been said, you need to boost your metabolism.

My cousin is a personal trainer, I've tried his diet of eating several healthy meals throughout the day.. every three hours to be exact and I've burned off every ice cream bar I've eaten since i was born. Even started putting on muscle.. gained around 10 pounds in 5 weeks.
  8. Old
    At my school we eat at 1000 hours, and I tend to eat a bowl of cereal in the morning. I pack my lunch and eat a small lunch at 1000 hours and then eat a healthy dinner at 1800 hours.

My body fat used to be almost 18-25% in early middle school, after three years of working out and running (when school work does not get in the way) I have gone down to a 6.7%. It takes a lot of work, but you will get there. Slowly but surely.

I also have been doing P90X lately, and it is a killer work out. All you need is some resistance bands or free weights and you are good to go.

Wish ya luck!
  9. Old
    I heard a saying that goes like this:

Eat breakfast like a King
    Eat Lunch like a Queen
    Eat Dinner like a Peasant.

Meaning that its better to eat a larger meal for breakfast, as you wont be as hungry throughout the day.

Eggs, bacon, milk, orange juice, cereal, etc

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you can't really go wrong with a big breakfast.
  10. Old
    If you need something quick to jump start your metabolism I have found that a small bowl of oatmeal, a slice of bread, and a glass of milk does a great job. the carbs in the morning will play the biggest part in jump starting you.
  11. Old
    Eat more, but less.

Eat 6 small meals per day versus 3 large meals. Drink a glass of water before eating, and continue to eat slowly. You didn't say how much water you consume... So, drink lots and lots of water. Cut out juices, soda, etc. Eat more fruit and vegetables. Cut down on fat, and red meat. Try to eat the same amount/type of food, at the same time everyday. As said earlier, EAT BREAKFAST! And try not to eat late at night since your body won't use up the energy from the breakdown of food, and thus storing it. Insulin, a pancreatic hormone, is needed to bring glucose (from your food) into the cells for energy. In the morning, your body sends out a bolus of insulin. Throughout the day, the amount of insulin decreases.

Simple diet, really. But, since you don't prepare ALL of your foods, you may have issues. If you can get everyone in your household on board, it will be easier.

So good luck with that, and cheers for working on improving your health and preventing issues in the future.
    Updated 03-09-2011 at 01:28 PM by mr_kong
  12. Old
    I drink about 8-10 gatorade bottles of water everyday. Im getting the jist of this I guess. Breakfast everyday, don't eat late, drink water, etc...Thanks for all the help guys.
  13. Old
    Be careful with Gatorade, I was told by my NCO in the Army that for ever Gatorade you drink you should drink that amount of water. Due in part to the high sodium and sugar, All that stuff like Gatorade are great for after a work out, but you should drink WATER. I can't say this enough but I'm happy to hear anyone getting off there a** and try to better them self. Great Job keep up the hard work.
  14. Old
    From what I read, he's drinking water FROM the gatorade bottles.

Anyways, keep up the good work! Kudos!
  15. Old
    Yeah I see that, Now.... Good catch it just worries me when people drink Gatorade over water. Sorry about the mistake. Again great job man and keep up the hard work
  16. Old
    Ooo! I can help! XD I'm actually decent at this stuff.

Breakfast: Something small, but will give you energy. Peanut butter. I kid you not, this stuff is awesome for everything. Even if it's something simple like toast and peanut butter or a peanut butter and banana sammich (Amazing). You do need to eat something, its actually worse if you completely skip the meal. [I was always told that when you skip meals, then the meals that you do have, your body tends to "store" it instead of burn it because it's trying to save it for later. That could be complete bogus, but it was an automatic improvement for me.] Also, cereal. Just as simple as that. Don't get a huge bowl, but a regular sized bowl of a healthy cereal and some 2% milk and you're good [I hate skim milk personally].

Lunch:

Again, fast and quick. Peanut butter. XD Half kidding. But honestly, you can take a simple sandwich and make it amazing. How? Lettuce and Tomato. Take a plain turkey sandwich. Blah, not filling. Now, throw a bit of lettuce and tomato, and there you go. Really filling. And to go with it. I know in our high school, we could pick and choose what we got. The veggies and fruits are actually good for you. They have to meet a certain standard for that [partially why the food taste horrible sometimes]. Or even pre-baggy fruits and veggies from home. Grapes are fruit that stays well, or an unsliced apple. But also, wheat bread is good.

Dinner:
    Some easy things you can make:
    -Egg and cheese sandwiches [1 egg either scrambled or with the yolk broke, slice of kraft cheese, 2 peices of bread.]
    -BLT [3 strips of bacon cut in half, lettuce, tomato, 2 peices of bread.] Now, an easy way to cook bacon without a pan. Take the cut strips, put it on 2-3 folded paper towels on a plate. put in the microwave for 2 minutes. Bacon. .
    -Spagetti [hamburger, hunts spagetti sauce, and noodles] Fry the meat up, drain grease, add sauce. Noodle, boil water, add about a small handful of noodles, cook for 8 mins.

Snakcs:
    Fruit, Peanut butter [see the theme here ], veggies and a LITTLE bit of lite ranch. Dressing makes all the difference

Hope i helped!
  17. Old
    Well, eating breakfast can actually help you lose weight. It gets your metabolism going (or something like that), and that in turn helps you lose weight. Also, as a snack, i recommend yogurt, and i find that vanilla is somehow the most appealing.
  18. Old
    My suggestion is to, instead of eating 3 medium-large meals a day, eat several small meals all day to keep off hunger. dont eat junk though. Im talkin bannanas, fruit, maybe a cereal/breakfast bar, bread, PB.und.J, stuff like that. It wards off hunger and you wont starve to death.
  19. Old
    EAT BREAKFAST my moms a nurse and appereantly you can eat more not gain as much weight because you didnt eat all night. but dont eat like a box of hohos i mean like bacon eggs toast etc btw if ur trying to lose weight try core exercises.