Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > partlow11

Rate this Entry

Came across this today (Military Related thoughts)

Posted 09-01-2009 at 02:28 PM by partlow11
Ok, so it's a slow day at work today and I'm doing just random web surfing and came across this today.

It's a good example of what everyone who wants to be in the military needs to UNDERSTAND before they join. I know it comes from a Canadian Soldier, but it still exemplifies the attitude you need to be sucessfull in the Army. My Army that is, not the "granola-munchin', tree-huggin'" type of Army that seems to be sneaking in.

Find the entire post at: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=33109.15

"Attitude Again:
Some of you youngsters out there need to realize that this ain't no movie. I don't mean to preach again, I just see a lot of young guys going into this with visions of grandeur and thinking it's gonna be like some damn TV show. Sorry, kids. They're not gonna start handing out the black nomex and MP5's when you get here. They're gonna hand you some wore out 70's era kit with a heavy ruck and a worn-out rifle. When that kidney pad on that ruck digs a hole in your back and your feet have been wet so long that they are cracking and bleeding, think back about the big adventure. Think I'm being dramatic? If you stay the course, it WILL happen. Reality is a cold slap in the face. If you want some good photos, take some shots of your feet after a few days of trenchfoot on the move. That'll be something to show the grandkids. This ain't TV, guys. It's not high adventure. Most of the time it just sucks.
The point of this post is so you can get your head right for what is to come. It's not about nomex, velcro and MP5's, guys. It's about jumpin', humpin', freezing', walkin' and hurtin'. The new guys on here always say, "I know that" but I really don't think you do. But you will. I promise you that. The thing is, you can't quit. That's it. It's that simple. Never quit. A man who quits must be shunned. He sets a precedent of weakness that may drag others down with him. Other cherries may quit too. The quitter never thinks about others and the extra weight they will have to carry in his absence. He doesn't think about the extra shifts that his section will have to cover off. He only thinks of himself.
Bein' an Infantryman is persistence. Never quitting. Ignoring pain, hunger, exhaustion, fear, and doubt. No warm and fuzzies, no hero's accolades, no cookies, just pain and sweat and suffering. You just have to fight the pain. Fight through to the other side of it. Become one with it. Endure. Outlast. Overcome. Ruck up, lean forward, and hump! Time to heal later.
Everyone thinks about pullin' the trigger, and bein' the he-ro. "Lookee here, everybody! I'm bustin' caps!" Well, sorry tough guy, but pulling a trigger is easy. Humping a ruck is when you find out who will be on the ambush to pull that trigger. That's the Infantry. Slogging along under a heavy load with your buddies. Being part of a team. Let's look at that again: Being part of a team. The men you are with at the end of a long hump are good men. The men to your front and rear in a chalk preparing to jump from the sky are good men. The men to your left and right in a trench system in -1, 000, 000 degree weather at EndEx are good men. Tested men. Training is good for more than just teaching you the skills you need. It also weeds out quitters, before they can get you killed.
The other side of the coin are those granola-munchin', tree-huggin' types who think that they're enlisting to hand out soap and blankies to the Third World. Sorry, again. That's not what Canada does. Despite the propaganda you've had shoved down your throat the past decade, that is not 'Peace-keeping', and it most certainly is not what we do overseas. We don't pose for cameras cuddling babies, and we're not constantly surrounded by smiling happy people. When you go on a tour, you will be in a different country where the majority of the populace are indifferent to your presence, a small percentage welcome you because of your money, and a small percentage will actively try to kill you. Thing is, that small percentage will be on BOTH sides of the conflict. You are in the middle of both warring factions. Just to make it more interesting, you are an Occupation Army, so a number of the indifferent population will support those who are trying to kill you. Then, you have the bandits, thugs, slavers, drug runners, local law enforcement, politicians, and other criminals whose businesses you are hampering. Add to that the branches of several different terrorist cells, and you can begin to understand that (oh my!) Canadian soldiers regularly face death from violent forces. And Canadian soldiers regularly deal death. So, if you're not willing to kill for Peace; if you don't honestly believe that Truth, Justice, and the NHL are worth committing cold-blooded murder for, maybe you shouldn't join our little club.
I didn't type all that crap out to demean any of you. I have better things to do with my time. I'm trying to help you. If you don't wanna listen, don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out. You can accept that and learn something or you can move along. I don't care either way.

Oh, yeah: The grey man. The grey man is a very important concept or attribute. You must blend in, not stand out in the crowd. DO NOT DRAW ATTENTION TO YOURSELF. That means keeping your mouth shut and doing what your told. Look like the rest. Doing what your told to the best of your ability. Being PART OF THE TEAM. That is the grey man. That is why so many of you wannabe's, civvies, and cherries get slapped down on these sites. That is why you get chewed out in person. If you want to be a hero, don't enlist. If you want to be part of something greater than yourself, to become PART OF THE TEAM, sign the line. If you need recognition, or attention, the Infantry ain't for you. If you have an ego that needs gratification, and you can't place the interests of others before your own, this ain't the place for you.
If it were easy, anyone could do it. It ain't, and they can't."

BTW, I was searching for a secret formula to figure calories burnt during a ruck march. Anyone??
Tags: army, military
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5374 Comments 9 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 9

Comments

1. Old
    Truth, Justice, and the NHL are worth committing cold-blooded murder for

LOL Canada...
  2. Old
    So, so true.

In the infamous words of my swim coach, "Pony the f**k up".
  3. Old
    Now thats hitting the nail on the head with one swift blow. Nice post. And SOOOO True.
  4. Old
    You could just say: "We don't promise you a rose garden!"
  5. Old
    Amen. And that's the rest of the story.
  6. Old
    Lmao *** off what Truth is that guy talking about?
    Justice what justice has canada or even our army brought to the middle east?!
    and nah i dont believe the nhl would be worth committing murder for...
    Now killing in defense of your life liberty property and the security of your free state? ; that is just.
    this post also shows why a occupying foriegn army is not good or Canadian much less American; If there is a good portion of a population doesn't agree with your invasion and occupation of a nation then thats a clear signal we shouldnt have gone in and we should leave, not just that reason but it takes resources from us and weakness our home defense most of the soldiers get sent overseas when i believe we need to only have a war if we are being directly attacked, or invaded.
    he is right though a lot of people including a liar i have met personally think the current military is all about "killing towel heads" his words not mine and he even has lied about stuff like going to sign up.
    sorry for the political rant.
    I would hate to ever get trench foot but this has inspired me to test my self some time when ever i get the chance see if i could take the trench foot the rucksack etc.

Btw i have nothing but respect for the troops but they are getting used in the wrong way and we are letting it happen... alot of them i understand don't believe in the cause, me personally id rather believe in what i am fighting for.
    Updated 09-09-2009 at 09:08 PM by rifleman
  7. Old
    Lmao *** off what Truth is that guy talking about?
    Justice what justice has canada or even our army brought to the middle east?!
    and nah i dont believe the nhl would be worth committing murder for...
    Now killing in defense of your life liberty property and the security of your free state? ; that is just.
    this post also shows why a occupying foriegn army is not good or Canadian much less American. if the a good portion of a population dont agree with your invasion and occupation of a nation then thats a clear signal we shouldnt have gone in and we should leave, not just that reason but it takes resources from us and weakness our home defense most of the soldiers get sent overseas when i believe we need to only have a war if we are being directly attacked, or invaded.
    he is right though a lot of people including a liar i have met personally think the current military is all about "killing towel heads" his words not mine and he even has lied about stuff like going to sign up.
    sorry for the political rant.
    I would hate to ever get trench foot but this has inspired me to test my self some time when ever i get the chance see if i could take the trench foot the rucksack etc.
  8. Old
    Rifleman,

Seriously?
  9. Old
    yes i am serious did it sound like a joke, Iraq is the new Vietnam. I feel liek we have gotten NO Justice from this war wheres Osama?! couldn't we have cia etc. track him down and bring him in for a hearing trial and sentencing ?
    no instead we went blew up the a few good parts of the middle east.

It bothers me when people say that they are fighting for our freedom right now, ask a few troops you know,they know its not about our freedom its about "Iraqi" freedom.
    I am going off course here but i am just so frustrated with the politics and people are when people say some one is fighting for our freedom they had better be fighting for "our" freedom. i like that we have a strong military but it gets abused.