Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > ECHOES

Rate this Entry

Banning the Stupid -A Moral Decision

Posted 07-27-2009 at 10:07 AM by ECHOES
After recent (Scratch that, there has been stupidity on AO since it started) stupid actions/threads/posts here on AO, I have started to wonder if we should start banning for pure stupidity.

What is the problem?
Well, lets convey the problem with a story.

We will call our preteen "Alex". Alex just recieved a tacticool JG AK47 after bugging his parents for months about getting him a "expensive" airsoft gun.

Alex isn't happy with it.

He wants to make it shoot harder to hurt his friends.

So, he gets on the interwebz and finds a website. AirsoftOhio. Lucky for him he has no parental supervision, so he starts creating new threads instead of searching. The threads he makes are pointless, some even border on dangerous. So the AO community stands against this moron, moderators get called in, and a short banning occurs.

After his ban is lifted, he comes back. Still acts like a moron, and is perm banned. Forever.

Stupidity does not leave a person. Some people will get the point, others won't. People do learn through guidance, but the majority of the "problem members" on AO are simply 13 year old boys with mommy and daddy's money and an internet connection.

n00bs are incapable of normal rational thought.

When we make a mistake, we aplogize, and fix the problem.

When a so called "n00b" makes a mistake, they do the following steps

1) Deny the problem
What? I didn't post that stupid thread. Must have been someone else.

2) Place blame on _________
Well... My friend told me to say that. I didn't really want to make my gun hurt people. My parents said it was okay to play in the park.

3) Get Angry
... At the wrong people. Yell at those who give you good advice, make snide remarks at everyone.

4) Get their sorry a** banned
... Then come back with another account, and get banned again.

Do we ban based on pure stupidity? I would, but I'm not a moderator and have made mistakes myself.

But when you post a thread on how awesome it was when the park ranger nearly shot you because you were playing in a public park with a replica gun. You are an idiot, go away, shoo!

Discuss
Views 2675 Comments 21 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 21

Comments

1. Old
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ECHOES
    But when you post a thread on how awesome it was when the park ranger nearly shot you because you were playing in a public park with a replica gun. You are an idiot, go away, shoo!
    I lol'd.
    But what about my puppie?
  2. Old
    There is a difference between being ignorant and stupid. All noobs are ignorant, when they cease being ignorant, they cease being a noob. Ignorance is nothing more than a lack of knowledge, while stupidity is a WILLFUL and CONSISTENT lack of knowledge.

It is easy to make mistakes, the wise adapt, stupid people don't.
  3. Old
    Based on experience on other boards stupidity is universal. This is compounded with the fact that shooting things is K00L. This hobby requires a level of maturity that many people lack. If you are not mature enough to understand how to interact with humans on a forum then you aren't mature enough to hold a weapon.

TL: DR - Let fly with the banhammer.
  4. Old
    im 13 and have a jg ak47. i learn from my mistakes. everyone should have a second chance. wouldnt you?
    Posted 07-27-2009 at 03:06 PM by get lighted up get lighted up is offline
  5. Old
    Personally getlightedup I think you should be per banned because you are 13. Also because of your are younger you are ignorant, stupid, a complete nub, and incompetent.

Seriously though, I think that many kids just don't get that fact that just because they are on the internet they are not immune to discipline. They jump onto a forum, never read the rules and go willy-nilly posting thread, and generally making themselves look dumb. People in my age group (I am 17) seem to give themselves a bad name, and trust me it is quite infuriating sometimes.

Personally I feel that maybe a stronger rod, a couple more lashes, or a few slams of the banhammer would do most of us some good, not to mention give us semi-mature teens a little breathing room.

Disclaimer: If anyone didn't catch the humor in this post I'm sorry, not all things said were serious.
  6. Old
    Stupidity is universal.

But it will not be tolerated here.

Take whatever time you need to learn about this community before you decide to post in it.

I am willing to forgive and forget as long as you don't keep making the same mistakes.
  7. Old
    This is totally right and I totally agree with you, but not all kids don't come here and not read the rules and make stupid posts. Now I'd say the good 95% of kids that come on here do this. Other then that I totally agree with everything said in this blog.
  8. Old
    You can ban them or you could teach them. Just ask yourself if you think that they might grow up to be more responsible airsofters for being in our community.
  9. Old
    I agree. I have made mistakes. One very recent but Ive learned from them and moved on. Very good tho and I agree.
  10. Old
    I have to agree with Remington on this. My son just turned 13 and will be attending his first airsoft game at valley creek on the 15th. We also have other team members who have young kids that play as well. Ya kids are going to be kids (stupid) but they also need to be taught how to act in our community, both on-line and on the field. I know that my son will make mistakes and I will be there to guide and teach him how to act and respond to situations that arise. Not all young players have or will have this mentoring and I personally feel that as veteran players we need to step up and help mold these young players. They are the future of the game no matter how stupid or annoying they are.
  11. Old
    Excellent responses guys, exactly what I was looking for.

I, myself, am not against young players. I am against morons who give us laughs and headaches from their stupidity. Not all 13 year olds are ignorant, some just need to learn, and most are willing to learn and have a great time.

There are idiots no matter where you go, no matter the age group.

You can Avoid them or attempt to Help them,
    One choice ends with them still being ignorant, the other may result with you or them being angry. Pick your battles, help those you can. Don't leave a man behind.
  12. Old
    "Personally getlightedup I think you should be per banned because you are 13."

Personally i think that is a bit to harsh for banning. If we were to ban all people at a young age for just that one reason. The sport would not grow nearly as fast as it could. It is good to get a young crowd into this sport for growing potental. Unfortunatly, It comes with a side effect of immaturety....but people grow out of it.
  13. Old
    Maniac, he was joking.
  14. Old
    Yeah Maniac...he was joking.
  15. Old
    The problem isn't with "kiddies" but with new members who refuse to read and follow the rules. This is not necessarily anything related to age. But, lately there have been several "kiddies" who have been banned. This isn't anything new to the boards - it has happened before and it will continue happening.

Secondly, airsoft isn't limited to just one age group. People of all ages find out about airsoft at any given time. Loss of the "kiddies" is not going to be the end of the hobby.

There are alot of players who have never even been on the board or have no desire to participate on the board and unfortunately, the online community is not always indicative of actual airsofters.

Finally, it is unfortunate that 13 year olds would get lumped in with trouble makers, but unfortunately, within the last 2 weeks, I have banned about 6-7 people who are acting like a 13 year old - immature and obnoxious. Now if you take offense to that, then don't act that way and you'll have no reason to be offended.

I was 13 once, and I was immature and obnoxious at that age, my step kids both behaved that way at that age, and several other kiddies I know at that age act the same way. I expect it from that age, so if your going to live up to those expectations, expect me to respond in kind.

There is a point here. If you're 13 you must prove to us you're not going to be obnoxious and immature. If you can't or won't you will be removed. Me and other moderators have enough garbage to clean up without having to babysit kiddies, too.
  16. Old
    I'm a new member. I'm also pushing 30. I will freely admit that I'm pretty ignorant to airsoft in general. That was my point for joining this board. I've found the answers to 95% of my questions through the search feature. The other 5% were answered politely by members.

I'm a member of other boards where I would consider myself an expert (reef keeping for example). Noob questions don't bother me as long as said person is A.) willing to learn and B.) is willing to make an effort to help themselves.

Some people, often youngsters, simply are lazy and have no respect. In that instance, let the ban hammer fly.
  17. Old
    You can't fix stupid
  18. Old
    Stupid is as stupid does....

I just ignore it anymore these days.... Otherwise I'd hunt down every punk noob on this site, wait outside their house until their sleeping, break in and burn their computer....

But thats just me =)
  19. Old
    i'm 14 and i try and act as mature as much as i can this is very true how us teens can be obnoxious and irresponsible and i know a lot who are...but i try and be as mature as posible...I'm in a community of adults and i try and act as much as an adult as i possibly can...
  20. Old
    Just to throw in my two cents....I have an example of the opposite of the norm. We have some kids who come out to The Ruins and play on a pretty regular basis. Beefcake44 is one of them, and the rest of team F.E.A.R. To the best of my knowledge, they are all 13. Also to the best of my knowledge, they have behaved very maturely on the field, have obeyed all the rules we set, and generally stay low-key and low-profile (until they're nailing the crap out of you, the lil' buggers).

We just recently had to ban a small group of well and truly full-grown men from our field; they had been out to play many many times, and almost every single time, there were multiple complaints of cheating (primarily, not calling hits, again and again and again). It came to a head last weekend and we had no choice but to give them the banhammer IRL.

Grown men can be immature, and stupid, and dishonorable. Children can be the opposite. I fully recognize that this is the flipside of the norm, but let's none of us lose sight of that (though I'm not accusing anyone of doing so).