Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Rhyno

Rate this Entry

Airsoft's Call of Duty is in a Crysis and will see a Fallout on the Battlefield.

Posted 07-21-2009 at 01:53 AM by Rhyno
DISCLAIMER: I play video games (usually between when my kids go to bed and when my wife comes downstairs to biatch at me for playing video games). And my first thread got closed because I guess I misinterpreted the rules about what is considered too harsh when giving a negative review of a retailer.

There, that's out of the way. On to my observation...

So I picked up Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and I played through single player. As I was playing this game, a few details caught my attention. There were, raised eyebrows if you will. This isn't a review of the game, so hands off the sidearms for a moment. No, what I noticed were certain details shown or expressed in this game that made me think about some n00b posts i've been seeing as of recent. A good example is picking up a "M4 SOPMPOD SPR1" and remembering a post about a kid asking where he can get one of these in an airsoft gun. Or the SAS troops in all black with gas masks on and seeing something on here with the exact same setup.

Is this what airsoft is attracting? I mean, I played paintball back 10 years ago and quit when the people I played with turned to speedball. I thought then that ESPN8 ruined the sport for me. Back then, they didn't have paintball markers that looked like real steel. I got back into airsoft because a friend of mine told me how airsoft is played and it reminded me of my scenerio paintball days and it sounded like it could be fun. So I researched the crap out of the sport and decided this could definitely be the sport I've been missing.

But the more I am on this site, the more games I play, the more I feel like it is video games that are driving kids to play airsoft. Like somehow event hosts are going to create a "Operation: Call of Duty" just for them. I've witnessed these kids at open plays, and I've heard this from other people about other open plays.

I used to think that video games didn't affect kids like this. That all the hubub about video game violence was a bunch of liberal BS supported by a bunch of hippie commies. But seeing more and more of the playstation generation grow up to be, well, retards, i'm starting to wonder about those hippie commie views. Did they have it right? Or is am I just only getting exposed to the retarded end of that generation's gene pool?

I see airsoft as a sport. One that is currently kicking my bubble gum ***. And like any professional or semi-pro athlete who takes their sport serious, I feel like the sport is getting tainted by a bunch of delusional kids living out their fantasy to be Sam Fisher or Sgt. Sn1p3rz.

Then again, maybe there's some money to be made by exploiting these kids. I just might cash in on this nonsense and collect some of mommy and daddy's paycheck. Damn, I just might open my own field JUST to host Operation: Splinter Cell for these kids. Maybe this will draw them away from the real events and the rest of the community can breathe a little easier.

/end rant
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7115 Comments 22 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 22

Comments

1. Old
    I'm sure Airsoft will be fine as long as we have all the vets to keep it in line and raise more responsible airsofters.
  2. Old
    I see your point here. I'm a late night gamer myself (after the kids and wife go to bed). I think video games themselves are almost unplayable these days with the younger kids. Between the language, the constant chatter, and the rest of the BS I hardly play online anymore. Translated into airsoft and I'm sure it's ultra annoying.

Here is the only point I have to make. I'm 29 and I have a brother that is 17. Same mom and dad but absolutely nothing alike. Kids have changed drastically in the last few years and they annoy me to no end. But that's just kids. We were just as annoying to everyone else back then. Video games aren't the downfall of society like the liberal nutjobs think they are. They are, however, a major contribution to a blurred sense of morality. /end rant before it gets too bad
  3. Old
    I'm a kid and this isn't the reason I started playing airsoft but this is totally the reason most of my friends started to play I think your right about this.
  4. Old
    I believe that there are very few "kids" who don't play video games right now. Blaming the video games or kids for tainting airsoft is just an excuse for the adults who's maturity level isn't much of those whom they blame it on.

The point is that we have just as many adults who play at the same level of younger kids. The sport is getting tainted by a bunch of delusional ADULTS living out their fantasy to be Sam Fisher or Sgt. Sn1p3rz.

Every generation always looks down on the younger. There is always diffrences which we don't understand or even want to. The diffrence is when the older generation embraces the younger and teaches them, so that the blurred sense of morality clears up and we do our job as responsible adults. It is not the playstation generation that is failing. It is ours.

I have two kids, who both play video games. My older plays airsoft. I play airsoft with him. But in doing so he learns not only to pull the trigger, but the why's. He plays Call of Duty, World at War and understands the why's of WW2.

But with your kids, what is an acceptable age for them to play? 10, 13, 18? Seriously look at it from a parent stand point. Your kids will probably want to do the same things thier parents are doing. When your 10 year old wants to play airsoft with you, what are you going to say? No, you're going to taint airsoft by playing?? Then who is failing who?
  5. Old
    I don't see the point of your argument. Is it a bad thing that the COD series is getting kids into airsoft?
    Posted 07-22-2009 at 10:41 AM by Comrade Garcia Comrade Garcia is offline
  6. Old
    I see your point, but I take offense to your jabs at us younger Airsoft players. Perhaps I am different from the "delusional" mass of kids "ruining" this great game for us all but I personally worked to be able to afford the gun that I field.

The only people ruining Airsoft are the ones who make stupid choices with their weapons and give our sport a bad reputation. This is not limited to teenagers. All I'm saying is if someone wants to be like the characters they see on COD, let them. As long as they are being safe and responsible, why should you or anyone else care?
  7. Old
    You made referances to annoying "noobs" that you've seen at open plays. At open plays usually the majority is "noobz" and maybe an experienced player here and there.

Maybe you should attend more serious events before completely judging the sport by open plays.

I'm 16 and I play airsoft because I'm looking at a life in the Marines, and also because it's hell of a fun sport.

I play video games (not a whole lot) because they're entertaining. Probably the same reason you do. I do agree that there's a lot of annoying ones online, but they usually tend to be either Wiggers or kids under 13.

There's part of this generation that is just plain dumb, and there's other parts that just aren't. I'd venture to say that most are like this.
  8. Old
    I agree 100% with Brodown.
    I do not take money from my parents pay check, I do not get an allowance, I work for it. Whether it is doing yard work for family members or working at my dad's warehouse, I earn my own money.
  9. Old
    ^^thumbs up^^
  10. Old
    This is a loaded blog, as there happens to be a lot of stereotyping going on in with it lines. The main thing to understand is that the youth is very dynamic. From kids who spend their entire day playing video games to the 13 year old pre-med student who attends the University of Kentucky alongside myself. I agree that with out proper guidance, video games can give a mis-guided view on "reality". Much like the movie "The Bridge over the River Kwai" did for the actual event.

However, when it comes to the youth, its entirely based on the level of parenting their guardians wish to put into their children. If the children are taught to be respectful, and given a spanking when they are not, they will begin to do it on their own. I personally see more people my age (20) trying to emulate COD4 when they ask to make a home movie using my gear and equipment. Thing is, they don't know any better because military technology, strategy and history is not a subject of interest to them. When they want to know about it, they simply look for the easiest examples to follow.

I'd also like to point out that after helping to host the RD OPEN Plays for the last year, and attending AO events for the past 4-5 years, the problems are not just "kids with BB guns". Its player attitude. Adults and minors alike portray a poor, or improper attitude. Unsportsmanlike behavior, directing cuss words at other players, over excessive use of the trigger, and personal threats. I see these issues come from more adults looking to make themselves feel more "badass" than kids who want to act like Gaz or Cpt. Price. Kids can be taught, and they often listen. But adult problems need to be monitored, and watch. And the community does that already.

Thing is, originally Airsoft started off as an expensive and sort of exclusive sport. People who played were often people who enjoyed the sportsmenship of it, and the reality it showed potential to emulate. This is a good reason for why many of the established teams here don't openly recruit anyone who walks on the field. As knowledge of its existence grew, so did the demand, the market, and the player scope. Now with more playing, people begin to join because they want to be the most hardass person on the field. Others want to boast high kill counts. These conflict the with original idea, which was based on good sportsmanship, and respect.
    Updated 07-22-2009 at 02:22 PM by Spectre
  11. Old
    Spectre raised so many valid points, it was a good idea that I refreshed before I stared typing, otherwise I would have been sniped!

I think that the failings of children cannot solely be blamed on them. My point being that both their parents, and the community that they exist in, have an equal hand in making sure that they grow up to be responsible and well balanced adults. I know that at some of the opens that I have attended there have been younger players that have made the experience trying to say the least, but the thing was that even though part of me wanted to blame them, I couldn't. What ended up happing was I sat back and took a look at the bigger picture, children emulate adults. That is how people grow up, they find an archetype of a person that they feel is what they want to be, and then they try to mold themselves to be that person. Maybe if we step in and provide positive role models for some of the young-bloods out there, we can help fix some of the things that their other adults are lacking...

I know how you feel though, I hate being around other people's obnoxious kids too, but I feel that if we set a higher standard of both sportsmanship and common courtesy, some of these problems will start to solve themselves. Like I said, when kids grow up they like to latch on to ideals that appeal to them, why not give them positive ones, and maybe this sense of "blame kids for my bad day" line that a lot of people tote around here can start to lift itself away. As for adults acting like tools, it is never too late to set a positive example for them as well, but being adults to me means that you can take a little bit harder punishment for your crimes. Isn't that right big boys and girls?
  12. Old
    Btw, I love the play on words in your blog title.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Private_BIGG
    A good example is picking up a "M4 SOPMPOD SPR1" and remembering a post about a kid asking where he can get one of these in an airsoft gun. Or the SAS troops in all black with gas masks on and seeing something on here with the exact same setup.

Is this what airsoft is attracting?
    The short answer is, yes. I believed it in the past, and still believe it today. Like Spectre said, the sport started as an almost exclusive club where the sheer expense of the guns and gear kept the less mature away. It was an underground experience, based on team work, sportsmanship and mutual respect (and definitely not about number of 'kill counts' and the FPS mentality). This is what airsoft should be, and what the vets want to maintain.

Here's a list of things that have contributed to what you are seeing now:

1) A 6-year war in Iraq/Afganistan. At first our culture was indifferent, but slowly started to embrace the 'military' part of the war and the attitudes it affected. It even affected the retail industry in a MAJOR way (i.e., return of camo clothing, camo purses, camo backpacks, 'military' styled clothing & gear, military & war movies, etc., etc.) Suddenly the military was 'cool' again. And the n00b airsofters you are seeing on the field now grew up in this culture.

2) Military/War -oriented video games. Sure there were some around before, but who can dispute the fact that military/war video games exploded exponentially after the war started? Go to the video game store and take a look: Can you even find a game that is not about killing or shooting something anymore? Not many, because that's not what sells today. (not that I have a problem with it, I enjoy these types of games too).

3) BlackHawk Down Movie. God, need I say more?

4) Price/Entry level of Airsoft guns & gear fell drastically in the last 3-4 years due to increasing demand and the rise of the Chinese clone vendors. Now everyone and their brother, no matter what age or maturity level, can get involved in Airsoft. Sure we think of this as a good thing, but is it really? Only time will tell.

btw, many of the vets are now flocking to the 2xx level and national milsim events and avoiding open plays because they now see too much of what you seeing. But if you go to an open play with this in mind, and don't take it too seriously, you can still have a good time.

Good blog, at least it will make some think.

Note to you younger readers:
    Instead of getting all offended and inflamed about this blog, why don't you sit down and think about what the author is really getting at? It's not the 'exclusivity' of the sport that vets want; it's the maturity level, respect, sportsmanship, team work, and lack of commercialization that they want to maintain. Having more people to play with is actually a good thing.
    Updated 07-22-2009 at 02:42 PM by Torque
  13. Old
    By no means am I asking people to leave airsoft. And if you AREN'T one of those kids I am referring to, then you have no reason to get upset. In fact, I am really directing my attentions to those that should be questioning why they are in airsoft and why they got into it.

I stated my personal views saying that i believe this to be a sport. One which i happen to think should be taken seriously. This isn't the old fogey telling you kids to get off my lawn. Far from it. What i AM suggesting is a good evaluation of what airsoft means to you.

This isn't a rag on young kids. I know there are some young people out there who work and pay their way. That's not the point of this.

Look at it this way. How do you think NBA players of the 90's thought of dennis rodman? While only a handful of coaches and players spoke out against him publicly, most of the NBA detested him. Yes he was a good player, but he brought a very negative attitude to the game. But the bulls signed him on afterwards and this led to more players coming into the NBA with negative attitudes. Now, not a year goes by that you don't hear about an NBA star getting arrested. You think guys like charles barkley, or michael jordan are proud of what has become of the NBA? Sure it still makes money, but a certain respectability is gone.

Same goes for NFL. I can't count how many times guys like bradshaw have complained about player attitudes from guys like TO.

Same goes for here. I am new to airsoft but i am not new to this style of sport. I see it as a natural progression from paintball. While paintball is still certainly strong, it feels to me that it has evolved into the "extreme sport" tag of espn. And i am calling Call of Duty the dennis rodman of this sport. While it might inspire great athletes. It is also inspiring an attitude that is not exactly welcomed with open arms. As so many have gladly pointed out.

So if you aren't one of those people, then why get your panties twisted up?
  14. Old
    There are some valid points raised in this blog, and by others commenting on it. This is not exclusive to paintball or airsoft, or sports in general. It's a country-wide epidemic.

We are the Jerry Springer generation. We are YouTube, Google, Twitter, American Idol, and MSNBC all rolled into one. We are drug-riddled MLB players, NBA rapists, and NFL dog fighters. We are kids who divorce their parents, and parents who abandon their kids. We are quick to shout racism while being part of a racist organization. Society as a whole has been flushed down the toilet.

The ultimate point that has been missed by everyone so far is this: very few people accept personal responsibility anymore. Parents are looking to self-help books, Dr. Phil, and the government to help raise their kids. They're part of a public education system that was designed from DAY ONE to breed future generations of mindless minions.

These days, it's all about ME. Who owes what to me and how fast can I get it? There are still good people out there, I meet some every day. But they're a dying breed, and that makes their offspring a dying breed as well. America has been on the decline for generations (starting w/ the hippie movement) and things are going to get worse before they get better.

Is it the kids' fault? Depending on their age, yes, sure it is. We all have a choice to be better than the system or be victimized by it. Being a parent is hard damn work, by far the hardest thing most will ever do in their lives. The reward is knowing that their kid will be a productive member of society instead of just another tool looking for a handout.
  15. Old
    Lol at "I do agree that there's a lot of annoying ones online, but they usually tend to be either Wiggers or kids under 13."

But seriously, younger noobs are usually at open plays. If you expect open plays to be a bunch of mature adults and 100% milsim, then maybe you should consider other events.
  16. Old
    As sturm and others have pointed out, yes i could go to 2xx events and avoid this problem altogether.

I will be attending those events. But i feel it is my duty to pay my dues and get enough experience under my belt before i let other players depend on me for success. I feel like i should attend open plays or milsim opens until i feel like i am experienced enough to run with the big dogs. I hold vets like evil head and spectre and others in very high regard and feel it is my responsibility to those vets that i pay my dues before i share the field under the milsim rules. I know what it means to have a dependable and experienced player at your side. When things get hairy you know that person's experience and teamwork skills will help carry you through to victory. This is true in any aspect in life by the way. Those that can't carry their share of the weight drag the whole team behind because the other people have to do more work to make up for that person's inability. So for now, i will be playing in open plays randomly until i feel like i am worthy to share the field with the vets.
  17. Old
    All I can say, after doing two papers on people and video games, is that they do not affect people much, could make them want to play but isnt going to cause them to kill people and such, I'm not gonna go into huge detail, but yes everything we see does effect us in some way, and no it doesn't turn us into killers.
  18. Old
    I'm sorry but writing two papers for school really doesn't convince me that audio and visual stimulus can persuade the mentality and tendencies of a human being. There are thousands of Psycho-Analysts who have spent their entire career moving forward in research on this very topic, and have put millions of dollars into providing concrete answers. The human mind is an extremely complex and amazing construction, and even though we use ours on a daily basis, we do not understand it. This is a big reason why I do not trust commercialized and "clinically tested" anti-depression and suppressant drugs. We don't understand fully how the mind develops, learns and retains inherent information.

That being, a human learns from the stimulus that surround him/her. The parents, friends, community and activities the child engage in shape and mold the individual, regardless of whether or not he/she desires it. Its because the mind has a subconscience. It operates with out us having to think about it. So when something becomes second nature to us through continues repetition, we do it without thinking. So I don't think its too difficult to say that playing violent video games over and over again can influence a child into a bad behavior like mentality. No one here is mentioning homicidal tendencies. But its not too far fetched to think that these games could be influencing players in a negative fashion.

I really don't know what to define as a "hippie argument" when it comes to violence. To me, we aren't talking about the "violence" associated with going out hunting with dad, shooting a dear, then skinning it, hanging the stuffed head on the wall and eating the meat. We are talking about games that pretty much force the player to slaughter droves of "enemy targets", and in many cases in some pretty gruesome ways. I think someone like myself, and you BIGG, who clearly can understand the difference between right and wrong, can understand what is going on. We can have fun playing the game and than walk away from it knowing that its all fantasy and tales. But what about those who don't think about it, those who don't know any different?

This is an age of War. Like my teammate Torque mentioned, with the U.S. once again involved in conflict, and war being a popular rating raiser, commercialization of this human tendency brings in good profits to those on top. I'm sure some of you older guys out there remember the theory of the Military Industrial Complex (and personally I think Eisenhower was spot on). So...as a result, more people get involved. Thus, we draw in the good, the bad, and the indifferent. Only a third of that can we rely on to provide positive support and a role model for those who need it most.

Sorry for the novel, but thanks if you made it this far.
    Updated 07-22-2009 at 09:23 PM by Spectre
  19. Old
    The way I see it is there are a lot of posts here by new players that get all wound up about going to their first real game. They have either played in the backyard and/or played the video games. They post about how badass they are going to be at the game under the false impression given them by the video game.
  20. Old
    Yeah, I'm sorry if it seems that I lost my cool. Its hard to convey a feeling or idea through the internet. I know how you guys want Airsoft to be, I believe I have the same vision as all you older guys do.

It just sucks to be repeatedly lumped into a group of people who make me and other level-headed teens look bad. I suppose its my curse to bear for another year haha. I would rather show my character on the field with my teammates than type it and try to convince you. If any of you guys are going to Blind Fury, that will be my first AO event.
    Updated 07-23-2009 at 10:53 AM by Brodown