Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Patton's Blog

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Editing Countour videos

Posted 03-29-2012 at 09:57 AM by LastPatton
I recently purchased a Contour ROAM to take to events. Instead of mounting it on a helment, I decided I would try it on my hat. Turns out, it works quite well, I have to adjust the position a little to reduce the amount of my hat in the picture but overall it does great.

After capturing approximately an hour of video from Op Mole Digger at Springfield, I began downloading all that video to my PC in order to edit it all.

I found that in the raw video file type was .mov and did not play well with Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9. I found a free converter online that would convert the .mov files to .avi or .mpeg2 file type. After converting all the raw footage to the correct file type, I began the tedious 4hr job of cutting out all the junk video I didnt want and then putting in the transitions, txt, music, and sound effects.

I rendered the 15min video as an .avi file first because I didnt want to loose any video quality. After 10hrs of waiting on YouTube to upload, it errored out. I learned that it can't handle that high of quality video/audio together in a 2GB file. So I rendered the video again using SVMS into .mpeg2 format, reducing the size of the file down to 700MB, much faster upload time and quality is just as good.

Check out the video on my YouTube channel at: http://www.youtube.com/user/thelastpatton/videos
Views 10728 Comments 5 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old
    It's weird that your Sony Vegas didn't like .mov files. I have Vegas Pro 11 and .mov is all I use. Also, try rendering in to .wmv files. They are compressed to keep the size down, but keep the same quality versus an .avi.
  2. Old
    If you need to convert, I've always used Handbrake because its open source. You're probably going to want to play with the settings to get it right.

http://handbrake.fr/
  3. Old
    mpeg2 can only give you 1080i quality. I am still trying to figure out who can convert/render videos at 1080p...as your Contour output file quality is.
  4. Old
    So i was able to get a copy of SVMS 11 and am very happy with the changes between 9 and 11. 11 supports the .mov files in their full 1080p quality, making movie making and editing much easier. No need for converters or anything at this point, SVMS 11 will acutally render and upload the movie to YouTube without having to use YouTube's uploader. Now granted, you still have to abide by the 15min time limit but so far i'm very happy with 11. Will update more later.
  5. Old
    Just uploaded a 2012 Season Highlights video to my YouTube channel, check it out. 2013 will have more cams from different POVs, looking forward to some better and more action packed videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCTYpFJLSrs