Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Soothsayer

Rate this Entry

A new look at "applying".

Posted 01-24-2011 at 01:41 PM by Soothsayer
Updated 01-30-2011 at 07:43 PM by Soothsayer
I haven't really been around the "team block" you might say, but that won't stop me from feeling that I can contribute. So here goes.
When listening to others talk to a team about joining, they are usually invited to the next open play to run with that team show why they would be a good new member. The way that individual plays and behaves is their application, which the team reviews on the spot. This has worked in the past (worked for me), and is overall a great way to get to know the one who wants to join. However, open plays are a little... unpredictable, sometimes fast paced and sometimes not so much. Sometimes the opfor doesn't have the motivation to put up as much of a fight as you'd like to see the new guy deal with, and sometimes your side, whether tan or green, does the same. The point is that open plays may not present the scenario that you would like to see the hopeful member cope with.

Therefore, I propose a new form of application to a team. Because I am not creative enough, I will label it "Application". Application is a well planned and choreographed scenario in which one individual is tested. The individual is referred to as the "Applicant". The scope and length of the scenario are decided on by the team constructing it, as well as how many individuals are on the field. Throughout the Application, the individual will be attached to a squad hand-picked by the team, and then placed in specific situations to test whatever skills the team deems important. The Applicant might be placed as pointman to clear a room, tasked with communicating on a radio, retrieving a downed comrade, really anything the team wants.

It should be noted that every task the Applicant is given is not random. The squad leader does not look around for stuff to do and then say "Go do that." He may have the appearance of doing so, but he cannot assign the Applicant tasks at random. There is an emphasis on choreography throughout the Application for everyone accept the Applicant. Before the Application begins, the Applicant is not told how the scenario will unfold, and no part of the Application plan is revealed to him, he must respond to it on the fly.

Another important thing to note is that the scenario should be designed to be completed by the Applicant should he accomplish all his tasks. That is not to say the Application should be easy, again that is up to the team to decide. In test runs, individuals playing the part of the Applicant should be able to complete the scenario.

Every aspect of the scenario is planned and coordinated. If it is planned that the squad leader will be killed at X time but is shot before then, he does not call his hit. If it is X time and he has not been shot, then it will be planned that a member of the Opfor will shoot at him, and whether the squad leader is hit or not, he will call himself out.

If the team the individual wishes to join is not large enough to offer all personnel the scenario asks for, then that they should ask fellow teams nearby to assist them, so long as all members (except the Applicant) are thoroughly briefed on the script of the Application.

The Application should take place on an actual airsoft field, not in some backyard. If the team does not have a private field, then they should respectfully approach the owner of a field and ask for it's use. It is also possible to have the Application take place during down time at an open play with the owner's permission.

One last note: the scenario should be uniform for that team. A new script should not be made for every applicant, and for two reasons.
One: fairness. Don't dumb down the scenario so your friend can get on the team easier than the next guy.
Two: Unity. If every member had to go through the same process to become a member, that creates a sense of unity among the team. It has the same effect of uniforms and slang terms common to a specific group, they all feel that they belong to each other.

Discuss. If you like it, let me know. If you don't like it, let me know.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6396 Comments 8 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8

Comments

1. Old
    I still think you shouldn't "apply" to the team you want on. You play along side them, play against them, and befriend them. You don't ask them, they ask you.
  2. Old
    I never really thought that applying to a team is the right method.

If you mesh well with the team, show honor, respect for the game, and you get like 50 kill streaks then you can be on said team.
  3. Old
    50 killstreaks only gets you team b*tch. Over 9000...yeah.

I like the idea but it seems a bit complicated. Great concept though.
  4. Old
    Good ideas but in my experience it may be a bit too "serious." However, its all based on the individual team. If that's what works for you, go for it.

I would always look for whether or not the person got along with the team and fits in on a social level. Skills can always be learned later.
    Updated 01-31-2011 at 11:56 AM by Grease Man
  5. Old
    Oh yeah, airsoft is supposed to be fun. Guess I forgot about that.

eff >_<
  6. Old
    wow, just saw my post. I must have been half asleep when I wrote it...

Sooth- Not sure if you're serious or not.
  7. Old
    I think its important to show a team that you want to be there. I disagree about asking to join. It takes some balls to make a cold call, but you don't know until you do. Its important to understand that each team is different and it has a different criteria for membership.
  8. Old
    I was just joking around. You've got a point though, it doesn't matter how skilled you are at anything in airsoft if nobody likes you.