Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Skate

Rate this Entry

War Movies To Watch

Posted 08-26-2009 at 04:38 PM by Skate
In the vast and varied land of war movies many fail (Thin Red Line) while a few stand the test of time to tell a tail of a truly heroic or just plain awesome battle (Saving Private Ryan). The following will be a few of my favorites, and will tell you exactly why if you haven't seen these movies you should. Now. Top 5 war movies of all time.

5. The Great Escape

This may not exactly be a war movie, but it fits the genre as its about a bunch of POW's who make a massive tunnel out of a Nazi prisoner camp. The Great Escape has it all, action, humor, plot, and memorial characters to boot.

4. Ok, I'm going to extend this list outside of the realm of movies, to pretty much anything that is on a screen with guns. This is because I feel some of the most exciting moments I ever have had while watching anything war-like was while playing Killzone 2.

So up next on my list is Killzone 2. What it lacks in plot and character design it makes up in big guns, and big explosions. Big, beautifully rendered explosions.

3. Saving Private Ryan

I'm sure all of you readers have already seen this movie, but it basically follows a small group of 8 men to save a Private Ryan. Action, drama, and good plot make this this war movie #3 on my list.

2. Glory

This movie follows some of the first black soldiers in the Civil War and their journey. It may seem a bit less action-packed than some others, but it has a great story you really can't pass up.

1. Band of Brothers

Wow, where to start. In all truth it is hard to find any fault anywhere. You can't complain about the story, because it is basically a story of WWII (ok, so it is a little dramatic, but still, it gets the important parts in), great characters, and an amazing cast. You won't see too many familiar faces in this one (well at least I didn't know anybody, and neither did my parents), but that adds a bit to the realism. Imagine Winters being played by Tom Cruise.....

So there you have it. If you haven't seen or played any of these, I implore you to go out to your local Blockbuster and try them out. You won't be disappointed.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6493 Comments 70 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 70

Comments

1. Old
    Halo series needs to be up there, what it lacks in explosions (VERRRRYY little) it makes up for in story, characters, weapons, depth, music, and pure gameplay.

Also

-Top Gun [duh]

-Tuskegee Airmen
    (First black pilots during WWII)

-Imax film: Fighter Pilot
    Best Imax ever, watch it. Now. Plays all the time at the National Airforce Museum. I've seen it 5 times thus far. It has to do with Operation Red Flag, which is an international war game, with planes! Rar!
    It's amazing, though they made one huge mistake. First to point it out gets a free BB.

And if anyone recommends 'Stealth' I lost all faith in them, the day an Su-37 shoots down any 5+ gen fighter is the day pigs fly.
    Updated 08-26-2009 at 08:05 PM by Kilo11
  2. Old
    Full Metal Jacket is a good movie..
  3. Old
    The Hurt Locker
    and
    Generation Kill
    (HBO series)
  4. Old
    The Longest Day, by far one of the best ever.

Jarhead, just for the scene in the tower/building at the airport and what the military is really about.

The Hurt Locker^^. The scene at the grocery store. I remember that same feeling.

We were Soldiers. Leadership, enough said. "We're going to what home was always supposed to be."
  5. Old
    Totally agree with you but somewhere someone should have black hawk down
  6. Old
    Face it Kilo all shooters are story second gameplay first. KZ2 is just like Halo 3 for the ps3. They have unique weapons, Halo 2 gets deep characters, KZ2 gets graphics and realistic shooting aspects to some extent (eg recoil, reload times, ect).

BommSlang, I like blackhawk down (reading the book for an independent reading project at my school) but in all truth the movie isn't anything too special...

Been trying to get ahold of Generation Kill for a while, never got around to going to my local video store though, wanted to watch the longest day.

Maybe I should put Forest Gump up there for laughs .
  7. Old
    Red Dawn , Three Kings , Invasion U.S.A ,Apocalypse Now same of my favorites oops showing my age.
  8. Old
    I'll add some that I like though they arent all exactly realistic

Indipendence day
    Flyboys
    Fallout 2(again not all movies)
    Full Metal Jacket
    Black Hawk Down the book
    Thunder run (book) looks good.
  9. Old
    I'd take Gettysburg over Glory, but it's still a decent movie. I applaud your inclusion of The Great Escape; that movie is definitely in my top five of all time.

I've got to disagree with you on Tom Cruise, though. Any actor other than Damien Lewis would simply not have worked.
  10. Old
    A Bridge Too Far

Period.
  11. Old
    Loyalist that was sarcasm with Tom Cruise, which is admittedly hard to use through writing. Notice that I said the cast was better with fairly unknown actors. I liked Gettysburg also, I just prefer Glory. And Tacmedic, I've been meaning to get around to watching that ever since I saw it on the inside of my Black Hawk Down CD case. I guess I'll rent it some time.

P.S. Letters to Hiroshima was good, just not quite in my top lists.
    Updated 08-27-2009 at 05:58 AM by Skate
  12. Old
    To name a few that haven't been named:

Bravo Two Zero
    Haven't seen it but it's based on a true story of a bunch of SAS trapped behind enemy lines in Desert Storm. Seen a few clips on youtube and the action is well directed. Definately would be worth a watch.

Tae Guk Gi
    Korean film about the Korean war. Same style as Saving Private Ryan, very powerful story about brotherhood.

3 Kings/Kelly's Heroes
    "Dark comedies" You could say about a group of soldiers trying to steal a cache of gold during a war (3 kings is Gulf War, Kelly's heroes is WW2)

The Big Red One
    Epic following a squad from the 1st ID through it's tour in the european theatre in WW2. Lee Marvin representin'.

When Trumphets Fade/Hamburger Hill
    I put both of these together because they both show the futility of war and men who brave everything to save those around him. Trumphets Fade shows combat in the Hurtgen Forest in WW2 and replacement troops being led by an inexperienced officer. Hamburger Hill shows the battle for hill 937 in the Vietnam war and the effect combat takes on both the veterans and the FNG types.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 8th MS Team
    YES I know it's Anime and YES I know it's giant robots, but it's a true war epic. A miniseries almost like Band of Brothers. It's really interesting showing the hopelessness of the war, kinda like MASH. Shows the brutality of mobile suit warfare, it's difficulty. The effects terrain and dirt have on the machines just like military vehicles face in real life. Most Gundam series shows the main characters coming out ahead in 20-1 sorties, but in 8th MS the mobile suits have difficulty taking on 2 or more at a time, and even shows mobile suit-less rebels taking down mobile suits themselves. If you're into mecha or atleast war epics check this one out.
    Posted 08-27-2009 at 05:46 AM by Comrade Garcia Comrade Garcia is offline
  13. Old
    Deep Blue Sea, that was a good one, a shark ate me.
    Updated 08-27-2009 at 06:33 AM by D-Boy (check)
  14. Old
    Longest Day, Glory. 55 Days at Peking, Zulu, Sand Pebbles
  15. Old
    miracle at st. anna, thin red line, theres so many good war movies you really cant rate them best because ppl have other opinions
  16. Old
    Quote:
    A Bridge Too Far

Period.
    Thank you...That is my favorite war movie. The Longest Day is also good.
  17. Old
    Band of Brothers is my favorite. I also like Black Hawk down, Three Kings, and Apocalypse Now
  18. Old
    Quote:
    Loyalist that was sarcasm with Tom Cruise

Damn, that's good to hear...my apologies
  19. Old
    The Dirty Dozen and Big Red One...both were good and had an outstanding cast of actors.
  20. Old
    I personally love Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, and Band of Brothers. Pretty good movies up there. Apocalypse Now is a great one too. If you watch it closely, you can see how it's a masterpiece in film.