Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Son of Liberty

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

FN Mk16 and Mk17 - An opinion

Posted 10-05-2009 at 07:57 PM by Son of Liberty
Skate got me thinking about the Ak47 and why I like some rifles and why some make me cringe. Well one rifle that makes me smile with glee and jump around like a school girl is the Mk16 and Mk17.

For those of you not familiar with the Mk16 and Mk17 it's the SCAR-L and SCAR-H, but I don't like calling them a SCAR. Mk16 and Mk17 sounds sooo much cooler.

The look: The 16 and 17 look like no other gun out there, well at least I think so, they look cooler than the XM8 which looks like a G36C and an ugly fish boned and created this disgusting love child. The integrated optics and the large foregrip and the funky G36 magazines, though they are cool but eh, I just don't like the gun in general. The HK416, looks cool, but I HATE the sights and the front looks odd to me. But in the real steel world you can't beat it's reliability, but we're talking Airsoft . And of course the M4/M16 are seen so often it just gets old. The Mp5, cool but not practical really. The P90, don't eat me Red, but UGLY...sorry...etc etc.

The 16/17 comes in either black or flat dark earth, for the sake of those that have the black one, sorry but I hate the look of the black ones. I'm gonna focus on the FDE model. VFC no doubt makes the most awesome one out there, G&G also, CA, Dboys, JG and WE's GBBR. The 6 position retractable stock with folding capability, the 3 position cheek rest, 3 different spots for a sling, ambidextrous mag release, bolt and selector switch makes it very practical and easy to use for a lefty or righty, so Spectre you can use it no problem. The uninterrupted top rail makes this puppy able to use all sorts of optics regardless of length. It has built in flip front sight and flip rear sights, I do not find the sights the easiest or best to use, but they do work. It is very easily field stripped and cleaned. I wish I had a real one. The standard length Mk17 is easy to use in CQC and is plenty long enough for outside engagements.

Accessories: There are many accessories made especially for the 16 and 17. AAC makes suppressors for these guns and the super awesome flashhider. The EGLM! EGLM > M203 ANYDAY...or even the Gp30 and AG36. The EGLM is able to be used for a lefty and righty and just looks badass...oh ya.

Practicality: The Mk16 no doubt has a high practicality, it is able to use M16 magazines, has plenty of real estate for all sorts of accessories and completes that Special Forces look just fine. The Mk17 (real steel) can use M14 magazines (I'm fairly sure) and SR25 magazines, who can match the awesomeness of the 7.62x51mm? The Mk16 comes in the CQC (Short length) and Standard Length. The Mk17 comes in the CQC, standard, and super extra sniper barrel, and now the SSR is out, well VFC made one, not sure if it's used in the Military...or any Military. But it's still awesome. With such a variety of uses for only two rifles..I'd say the M4, M16, SR25 and M14 have their days numbered. With the 3rd gen being so awesome, and the 4th gen going to be even better, this baby is on the road to being the standard rifle of the U.S. Military!

Honestly I could go on forever about how awesome the Mk16 and Mk17 are, but maybe I'm just biased because I love my Mk17, shut your mouths my fellow S.P.E.A.R. teammates you have yet to see this baby at it's full poetential.

I love these guns...

Discuss the awesomeness of this series of rifles..
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6827 Comments 28 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 28

Comments

1. Old
    A couple of grand on a rifle is a lot, but I already have a couple of AR's, so I know that having a real steel fix is expensive to say the least. Being a poor college kid makes it a little slow to get what I want. An ACR would be a nice addition to the collection though as would a SCAR.
  2. Old
    Sorry blacksheep, I still just see a couple of guns that took the AR-15 design, and tinkered with it.
  3. Old
    Alot of these "new designs" are more closely copying the AR-18 design.
  4. Old
    Am I the only one getting bored of AR-15-esque weapons? They're everywhere. I want a new assault rifle that actually seems "original".

I guess the ACR is the closest thing to "original"
  5. Old
    RED IS ANGRY. P90 NOT UGLY. RED SMASH!
  6. Old
    I think the ACR looks more like an AR than the scar. And sorry reed. P90 isn't pretty.
    Posted 10-08-2009 at 06:09 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  7. Old
    P90 looks neither tuff, nor pretty, nor wimpy, nor ugly. It's just kinda, there. In my opinion of course.
  8. Old
    P90's may look a little odd, but they shoot like a dream. If you ever get your hands on one, you will know.

Sasquatch, not to sound like a douche or anything, but if we used your logic we could trace the SCAR and the ACR all the way back to rocks and sling shots and say, "The SCAR and ACR platforms are just throwing stones redesigned and tinkered with." Everything, especially in the weapons industry, has something that came before it that it was designed off of. We could just say that the AK-47 is just a SG-44 design that has been tinkered with. Of course they have design fundamentals similar to the AR, they are meant to be replacements for it, thus they have to be easily adapted to training and gear standards. Trust me, as a guy that had to make a on the job switch from a M16A2, to a M14, and then back; retraining and re-outfitting your gear sucks. A lot. Especially when you have spent years on one platform. That is why they are similar. When you train for years and gain muscle memory and load out particulars, switching stuff is nerve racking. These new weapons were designed to be better than AR's and still be accessible to people who have trained solely on AR's.
    (steps off soapbox)