Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Dougrich

Rate this Entry

The Academy

Posted 02-12-2010 at 09:48 PM by Dougrich
Iím in week 6 of 22 of the Peace officer academy located at Edison community College. The academy runs Monday through Friday 8:30 through 12:30 and Saturday 8 to 5. The academyís curriculum is dictated by the state and not Edison. That in its self is good as well as bad. The good is that Edison isnít running the show; if they did the likelihood it would be a complete waste of time is 110%. The bad however is that the states curriculum covers things that are most of the time useful, but it also covers things that are completely mind boggling stupid and at times would leave an officer at risk especially some of the required things in subject control. Weíve covered a lot of ground in six weeks. You really have no idea of what to expect until youíve begun the academy.

When we began I only knew two people in our class my friends Joey and Karim. Iíve expanded that now to the whole class and interestingly enough Iím not the only AO member in the academy Inferno (Adam Doak) from the 97th Phantom Squadron is also in my academy. Weíve actually meet before on the field in Springfield operation Rising city.

Weíve covered a lot like I said earlier. Weíve covered Administration, Legal, and a good deal of the homeland security block. The legal block sticks out the most as of now, because of the complexity of the law it took nearly a month to cover. You honestly would be surprised by some of the laws and the extent of your rights. We just started a new block of instruction Wednesday Subject control also known as Defensive tactics. Itís extremely physical exhausting, but also a lot of fun. We started ground fighting today and it was a blast. This particular block of instruction lasts two weeks and is 60 hours. Iím looking forward to firearms though since itís our next block of instruction.

I plan on adding updates throughout the academy time permiting. I'll say this though after the academy I'm not sure where I'm going to go, but most likely outside of Ohio.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4715 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old
    Awww, I was thinking this was a review of an Academy Famas...
  2. Old
    Nope, sorry to disappoint you Texx
  3. Old
    I wish you luck in your venture. I too have been through police academy and was a officer for 5 yrs. I am no longer due to the lack of job's available in the state. I believe that is due to the fact of there being to many police academies in the state. So in turn there pumping out more officer's then there are job's available here. So I wish you luck in your studies and in finding a job when you graduate.