Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Ogdru

Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

My Pararescue Journey has come to a unfortunate end.

Posted 03-06-2013 at 01:04 PM by Ogdru
As of March 1st 2013 I'm no longer pursuing my 6 year attempt to try out for USAF Pararescue. I've found out that I medically am not qualified and I can't continue further with this career choice. I've lost 160 lbs all together now and I've gotten myself up to the physical standards so I can't say that this has been a null pursuit. It's been unbearably difficult for me to accept that I'll never be able to give what I considered my dream job a shot anymore but it's something that I'm going to have to learn from and move on. I have nothing but respect and gratitude for ANY member of ANY branch out there. I'm working on getting a personal training certification now and I'm going to try to make fitness my career. Just wanted to let everyone know what was going on with this, as some of you have asked recently. Thank you all for your support, you guys were great motivators and I'm looking forward to seeing you guys on the field again soon!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 14238 Comments 15 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 15

Comments

1. Old
    It has not been in vain! I'm sure you have gained a lot (and lost) along the way. When one door closes, another one opens
  2. Old
    You will have much more going for you. Good luck.
  3. Old
    Thanks guys, that's definitely how I'm looking at it. While in the end I wasn't able to accomplish exactly what I wanted I gained a lot of tools along the way that make anything I set my mind to possible at this point.
  4. Old
    Damn, that's rough, I'm sorry to hear about that. Being a PJ is my dream. Think about it this way, though, you tried, which instantly makes you better than more than 99 percent of the nation.
  5. Old
    I'm not sure you remember me, but I recall corresponding with you almost 3 years ago when you contacted me about physical fitness and exercise advise. I cannot tell you how awesome it is to see the progress you've made. It is truly inspiring. I distinctively remember thinking after speaking with you "he's got a good head on his shoulders, but an unthinkable amount of work ahead. Chances are he won't stick with it past 6 months". Right now, I'm stuffing those words down my own throat. You did it. You alone owned it, and accomplished what only perhaps 5% of people in your situation have achieved, and then went beyond that. My advice is to never, ever slow down. Take your momentum and run with it. Do not stop, make yourself better every single day. You do that, and I can guarantee any airman you meet would shake your hand as a contemporary. Good ****ing job man, I can not stress that enough. The context of this message aside, I can honestly say this post made my day.
  6. Old
    001 I remember talking to you, you gave me a lot of solid information and I really put it to use man. Thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction. I'll always keep up moving forward not gonna let something like this stop me. Like you said I'm just gonna run with the momentum and shift focus towards something else. It's been a hell of a motivator knowing that someone else's life could potentially fall into your hands and your capabilities. I don't think I would have been able to push as hard as I did without this kind of challenge in front of me. Just shows that sometimes it's not about the final destination but what you learn getting there that's the real triumph sometimes.
  7. Old
    My cousin just had to give up on his military career as well. He was in Marine Recon training and dislocated both his shoulders, causing physical complications, including his shoulders being dislocated was too easily in the future, and he was released on medical complications. He still hasn't decided on a new career, but he has no regrets and agrees that he's better off for trying. Hang in there, and good luck on your new path.
  8. Old
    God has a different plan for you my friend. If fitness is your new career, then that is your new dream job. I would lay odds that He has sent you this on this NEW journey to inspire others. 160 lbs!!! You are and will be a living inspiration to many many people.
    Best to You!
  9. Old
    I know how difficult it is man. I personally wanted to be a Marine and waited a year in the DEP before I made it all the way to San Diego on my third day of bootcamp when I was told I was going to be discharged due to Keratoconus (degenerative disease in my cornea's). You'll find something else, things will work out. Keep your head up and keep pushing for new and exciting careers. I wish you the best of luck and will pray for you.
  10. Old
    Great job man. Knowing that you attempted it is all that matters. I have been thinking this is an interesting career and a possible future.
  11. Old
    Have you considered maybe Coast Guard?
  12. Old
    Why not go for an Army medic job and go airborne? Thats similar and airborne and army rangers are very trained and highly respected units. You should look into different branches, they all have a similar special forces unit.
  13. Old
    I've given every other branch close consideration and I've come to similar conclusion. I agree Timnis, I think the effort itself was a positive experience for me and it's given me a very determined and motivated drive now that I never had before. The medical issues I'm having are ones that transcend between the borders of branches so I'm pretty much just between a rock and a hard place as far as a military career. Thanks for the suggestions though. I'm still planning on going through EMT courses at the college and getting into a similar field in the civilian world. I just want to be able to be there for people in their times of need.
  14. Old
    Check out this opportunity.

http://joindaytonpd.com/
  15. Old
    Were you/Are you able to complete the PAST test?