Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Life After Airsoft

What happens to you after airsoft. And a little bit of what happens during.
Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Don't Get Scammed On Craigslist

Posted 03-17-2010 at 12:32 AM by gertrude
Updated 03-20-2010 at 02:37 PM by gertrude
Because it sucks. I know a lot of you are intelligent individuals (okay, at least some), and you think you know how the internet works.

Well, just... be careful. Craigslist is a virtual den of scammers, spammers, and con-men. They *love* Craigslist because it's easy to be anonymous. You don't have to be somebody until you meet them in person.

Don't send your information to anyone. Always anonymize your email address. Don't respond to emails "From Craigslist" or "From Craigslist Employees" unless you solicited them yourself.

Change your password. Often.

Always meet with someone to pay/receive items.

If something turns sour, go to the police. Then call Craigslist. Then go to the police again with posting ID numbers.

Then have patience.

Did I mention not to wire any money to anyone. It's just dumb. Of course, if you want to wire some to *me,* you're more than welcome.

Anyway, now that I've mentioned wiring me money... I won't be posting anymore about how I'm looking for a job. I have one. So, farewell, overly-optimistic posts, and welcome to the posts where I get to say about what I purchased last or what bills I had the privilege to pay. And yes, before you ask, I do mean to say that it's a privilege to pay bills.

Hooray!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4083 Comments 8 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8

Comments

1. Old
    Thanks alot, Gert, I was going to meet hawt womenz on craigslist, now I will have to just meet them on Zoosk...
  2. Old
    Me and my girlfriend almost got scammed out of $150 once when we were trying to buy an English Bulldog on craigslist. I was used to getting all the bot emails and things like that that say something to the effect of "it am happy with item. Please be sending picture and if am still available, will buy item.", But this person was really in-depth with their scam. They had pictures and videos and everything. Turns out, there was a rash of scams coming out of Africa where people were selling english bulldogs that didn't exist. We found out at the very last minute and ended up saving ourselves a lot of money, but still. You can never be too careful on that site. Craigslist is second only to 4chan in the amount of internet scum that accumulates there.
  3. Old
    Common Scams:

Selling/Renting Something that Doesn't Exist-

This is *so* common. There are really two people being scammed here: #1: The people trying to buy the item. The people selling the item are probably in Nigeria and they don't have the item. #2: The owner of the photos/information about the item that's being sold: someone *does* own the item, put it up on another site, and now it's showing up on craigslist for sale without their knowledge.

So here's how the flow of events goes:

Man in Nigeria finds item for sale on someone's website or pet website or real estate website (real estate or vehicles are more common). They create a fake email address even going to the lengths to find out the actual owner's name, and then find someone to authenticate the email/craigslist account in the US. They put it up on craigslist in the original owner's home town (especially if it's a piece of property, they are more likely to do that). They then wait for you to send them an email of interest.

They will probably give some excuse as to why they're not home right now sooner or later. They'll sound really sympathetic. "My daughter is in the hospital, I'm serving in Iraq," etc. However, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS MEET WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO. No Exceptions.

So, people send money via check, paypal, or wire, and the money is gone. (If this happens to you, you need to contact craigslist directly some way.)

Sending A Fake Check For an Item You're Selling- Sometimes if you're selling something, the person will say they can't meet to give you the cash. So, they will try to offer more in order to make up for it. They'll send you a check, which is no good, and when you cash it you will be held liable for the amount at the bank. I forget how they make money doing this, but it's common.

Posing as Craigslist Employees in Emails that Tell You Your Account Has Been Compromised or Blocked- If you post something on CL this is pretty common. They give you a link that goes to a spoof website where you enter your account info, and *poof*, they have your email addy and your CL password. Craigslist never sends emails that you yourself don't ask for, either over the phone with staff, or through the website's password reset tools, or through posting an ad.

Asking You to Store Something of Great Value- Texx's Blog has a great example of this.

Having You Authenticate A Spam/Scamming Craigslist Account- They usually tell you they need you to give them a code of some kind in order to complete the transaction, or they pose as the government to get the code, or some other thing. However, if you didn't use craigslist to post something, it's not going to ask you for a code.

That's a handful.
  4. Old
    but gertrude the Peruvian prince says he REALLY needs my bank account information so he can saves his empire. he even said he would reward me with 50 000 american dollars if I helped him !!!!
  5. Old
    Craigslist can be good and bad. When i first started driving my dad found a low milage nsx for five grand, it sounded too good to be true, ends up it was. The guy wanted my dad to put the money in a foreign account. Despite some of the scamers, there are good deals, i recently bought a working a&k m249 for $75 off of there
  6. Old
    There is currently a Craigslist scam in NE Ohio where some guy wants to buy your motorcycle. He shows up hours after he is suppposed to ( late at night, when the banks are closed) and gives you a ( phony) check for the bike. He's gotten 5-6 now.
  7. Old
    My dad was looking at buying a food trailer, like one that's at the fair. The guy on CL only wanted $3600 for it, which is a steal. He couldn't meet us in person, as he was Maryland preparing to deploy to Iraq, but said it was crated and ready to ship from a military base. All we had to do was give our money to Yahoo Shopping Services, which is exclusively for the military apparently, the Army Logistics Corps would bring it here, and we would have 2 days to inspect it. If we liked it, we would keep the trailer, he would get the money. Too bad Yahoo Shopping Services doesn't exist, as I couldn't find any info on it at all, the guy was listed on Google as a known scammer on CL, and OH YEA, HE DIED IN AMARILLO 2 YEARS AGO. Google is your friend, and be sure to buy local, so you can meet in person.
  8. Old
    Thanks for this info. it really helps alot to know some of that stuff.