Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Son of Liberty

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

FN Mk16 and Mk17 - An opinion

Posted 10-05-2009 at 07:57 PM by Son of Liberty
Skate got me thinking about the Ak47 and why I like some rifles and why some make me cringe. Well one rifle that makes me smile with glee and jump around like a school girl is the Mk16 and Mk17.

For those of you not familiar with the Mk16 and Mk17 it's the SCAR-L and SCAR-H, but I don't like calling them a SCAR. Mk16 and Mk17 sounds sooo much cooler.

The look: The 16 and 17 look like no other gun out there, well at least I think so, they look cooler than the XM8 which looks like a G36C and an ugly fish boned and created this disgusting love child. The integrated optics and the large foregrip and the funky G36 magazines, though they are cool but eh, I just don't like the gun in general. The HK416, looks cool, but I HATE the sights and the front looks odd to me. But in the real steel world you can't beat it's reliability, but we're talking Airsoft . And of course the M4/M16 are seen so often it just gets old. The Mp5, cool but not practical really. The P90, don't eat me Red, but UGLY...sorry...etc etc.

The 16/17 comes in either black or flat dark earth, for the sake of those that have the black one, sorry but I hate the look of the black ones. I'm gonna focus on the FDE model. VFC no doubt makes the most awesome one out there, G&G also, CA, Dboys, JG and WE's GBBR. The 6 position retractable stock with folding capability, the 3 position cheek rest, 3 different spots for a sling, ambidextrous mag release, bolt and selector switch makes it very practical and easy to use for a lefty or righty, so Spectre you can use it no problem. The uninterrupted top rail makes this puppy able to use all sorts of optics regardless of length. It has built in flip front sight and flip rear sights, I do not find the sights the easiest or best to use, but they do work. It is very easily field stripped and cleaned. I wish I had a real one. The standard length Mk17 is easy to use in CQC and is plenty long enough for outside engagements.

Accessories: There are many accessories made especially for the 16 and 17. AAC makes suppressors for these guns and the super awesome flashhider. The EGLM! EGLM > M203 ANYDAY...or even the Gp30 and AG36. The EGLM is able to be used for a lefty and righty and just looks badass...oh ya.

Practicality: The Mk16 no doubt has a high practicality, it is able to use M16 magazines, has plenty of real estate for all sorts of accessories and completes that Special Forces look just fine. The Mk17 (real steel) can use M14 magazines (I'm fairly sure) and SR25 magazines, who can match the awesomeness of the 7.62x51mm? The Mk16 comes in the CQC (Short length) and Standard Length. The Mk17 comes in the CQC, standard, and super extra sniper barrel, and now the SSR is out, well VFC made one, not sure if it's used in the Military...or any Military. But it's still awesome. With such a variety of uses for only two rifles..I'd say the M4, M16, SR25 and M14 have their days numbered. With the 3rd gen being so awesome, and the 4th gen going to be even better, this baby is on the road to being the standard rifle of the U.S. Military!

Honestly I could go on forever about how awesome the Mk16 and Mk17 are, but maybe I'm just biased because I love my Mk17, shut your mouths my fellow S.P.E.A.R. teammates you have yet to see this baby at it's full poetential.

I love these guns...

Discuss the awesomeness of this series of rifles..
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6915 Comments 28 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 28

Comments

1. Old
    Its interesting that these are replacing slowly replacing the M4, at least in the Special Ops branch. It really is a testament the guns themselves. Not to mention the customization possibilities. The can serve as carbines, assault rifles, SPR's, DMR's. It really is amazing.
  2. Old
    Personally I think the SCAR is one of the ugliest rifles ever made. As far as practicality, it's still not a bull pup so it is still way behind many rifles.
    Posted 10-05-2009 at 08:29 PM by DemonicUnicorn2 DemonicUnicorn2 is offline
  3. Old
    I got to fire a real steel generation II at a range qualification a couple of years ago. It is a gorgeous weapon to say the least, well in my opinion anyway. The model I got to use was in the tan/ dark earth scheme. It had a weird amount of recoil for a 5.56mm, maybe do to the lack of a full length buffer spring like in the stocks of AR's?

Gorgeous weapon, feature loaded, light, and robust, you can't really get much nicer. I don't know about it replacing all of the M16's and M4's out there though, it is a little on the pricey side and a little exotic, and it is going to have some stiff competition when the Bushmaster/Magpul ACR(Masada) finishes its testing phases and moves to production.

Still really pretty though, sexy with with full length rails...
  4. Old
    I have to agree with Demonic, any traditional rifle just screams "inefficient" to me. It bugs me quite frankly.
  5. Old
    ^bullpup = practicality? To me bullpup just means "awkward reload."

I see the scar as just the next step in the m4/m16 line. Well thought out without any huge changes
  6. Old
    It all just depends what weapon you're used to training with. Reloading isn't an issue once you're used to it.
  7. Old
    Actually I do like the looks of the Mk17 though, especially in dark earth.
  8. Old
    Look at my gallery, it features a quite nice looking mk17. The acr may steal the label of the standard issue rifle from the scar. But I see it sticking around for a while.
    Posted 10-05-2009 at 09:04 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  9. Old
    While I can see why some like the SCAR, I personally can't stand it. It just looks ugly to me, almost like the bottom and top receivers are from different weapons. As for it looking like no other weapon, I disagree. When I look at an Mk16, I see an M4 variant. I'm not saying that's what it is, I'm saying that's what I see. Also, I don't like the idea of one weapons platform for every job. The military has been trying to do it forever, and it just does not work in my opinion. Some weapons are more well-rounded than others, but no one can do it all.

(End rant)
  10. Old
    There are some similarities between the two, the SCAR has an enhanced M16 magazine, like the M4, they have similar rails (I believe they are weaver, although I'm not sure) they have the same rounds, same...ok maybe they aren't TOO similar, but I can see where you come from.
  11. Old
    Being that the parts of both the SCAR and the ACR are modular, I think they both might just be able to change your mind Sasquatch-L.
    ACR:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJhPMIVgF6c
    SCAR:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92BsJYzKzpI

And I agree SOL, the SCAR will be around for a long time, it is just too good at what it is for, being designed by SOCOM. I just think that the ACR is taking the success of the SCAR and making it cheaper and more accessible to everyone else in the services. But trust me from my live fire experience, anyone issued either SCAR is a lucky person in my mind.

SOL within this year I think, a civilian SCAR will be for sale in the US as well as the ACR. Looks like you can have your wish and get a real one too!
  12. Old
    Yay then I just need to become 18!
    Posted 10-05-2009 at 09:25 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  13. Old
    That's only time my friend, only time.

I know I am going to get one or the other, I just need to find out which one has that second kind of cool for me!
  14. Old
    You'll get a civilian mk17 and invite me to come shoot with you right
    Posted 10-05-2009 at 09:48 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  15. Old
    I like 5.56... We'll see how it goes, but sure what the hell why not, you buy the ammo and you can kill things with it all you want! But I don't have a .308 semi auto yet...
  16. Old
    Am I correct saying the civilian version of the guns will be $2600 for the SCAR and $1800 for the ACR ??? Not sure if these prices are current or old values...
  17. Old
    I love the look, and mines been a champ (though I do still hate the tight battery insert). I am really contemplating getting a RS one for myself as well... It'll be the first one I have that's not black powder
  18. Old
    I was interested in the SCAR for years & bought a airsoft one to check out all the hype. I feel that the SCAR is too rigid for my tastes. What's nice are the calibers (RS) & universal mag system (AS/RS). The fixed body IMO is a negative part of the SCAR and limited size options (Restricted to the gas tube forward depending on model). Side folding stocks are great for transport but that's about it.

When I was in Israel a few years ago, I got to check out the Tavor. Now that weapon can make you wet. It seems bulky, but when you shoulder it the gun self balances. I want an airsoft version, sadly it's made by Ares.
    Updated 10-06-2009 at 08:52 AM by UrbanMarine
  19. Old
    The only one of the series I even remotely like is the SSR. The rest I just don't care for. Now the ACR, that is nice looking, stylish, and rugged...just like me.

Scar...meh...
  20. Old
    I would definitely look into getting an ACR, especially it was really only $1800.