Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > The Blind Sniper

Rate this Entry

First time opening up an AEG

Posted 01-02-2012 at 10:03 AM by The Blind Sniper
Updated 01-07-2012 at 03:37 PM by The Blind Sniper
just last week, i recieved some books on how to upgrade and maintain MP7 and AEP mechboxes, and V3 Mechboxes (because i was thinking about upgrading my CYMA AK. The books themselves were not very good) so i go to my dads since his house has got a workbench area. get to work unscrewing my MP7 (made by well, not kwa or TM) of course i did a safety check,then i removed the body pins, removed the top rail, disconnected the wires that power the gearbox. then i removed the back plate and there it was, the gearbox. i have not felt so accomplished in my life (okay, i wouldn't go that far). i slowly and carefully removed the gear box which slid out like it was butter. i thought about diging deeper and opening the gear box, but i never did. then it was time for dinner. when i got back I tried to reassemble the gun, but the stupid gearbox would not go in. so i got my dad to check it out (he works with complex robots at his job) so he examined the shell and all and discovered that there was a tab pushed down on a piece of the gearbox, that allows the gearbox to operate, so he got in. i didn't completely reassemble the, i connected the two wires again to see if it will shoot (getting the wires back into position was a pain in the @$$) i notice that the wire marked positive was stretched and i knew that wasen't normal. but anyway, i stuck the battery, turned the safety off to semi, and i get full auto, turn it to full auto, and i get full auto.so i told dad, and he said to live with it and continued to reassemble the gun, then i notice, the back plate won't go all the way in place, so again, i tell dad, and what do you know, he breaks the tab that allows the gun to fire. so the gun is now fubar and is sitting in its box in pieces.

oh, i also forgot to mention when i got a wire stuck in the shell of the gun and ripped it, it was marked positive, we sattured it on again (that could be the reason it shot full auto on semi auto)

Dad said he would get me a replacement, but the Well MP7s are now just as rare as the TM MP7s, i'm thinking about selling the gun for parts, but i don't know of anyone who would want parts from a chinese clone, i know if it was Tokyo Marui, everyone would want the parts.

that was my first time opening up a AEG (i classify the MP7 as an AEP but who cares)
Views 6494 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old
    Unfortunately, you managed to open one of the more intricate gearboxes in airsoft. 4 tiny gears vs. 3 larger ones, tricky to get it all back in and closed. Definitely not for a beginner.

If you want to start getting your feet wet with working on airsoft gearboxes, I would recommend the Version 2 gearbox (found in most M4/M16s, etc.). That should give you the best basic understanding of the inner workings of a gearbox. After mastering that, I would move on to a Version 3, it's similar but with a few differences.
  2. Old
    i never opened the gear box, i only just disassemble the gun
    Posted 01-12-2012 at 03:08 PM by The Blind Sniper The Blind Sniper is offline
  3. Old
    Well I guess I'm in the sameboat.I took my Well M4A1 apart. to upgrade it with. a M120 spring and a ballbearing spring guide. with ballbearing bushings. and. i lost a piece that gos to the Spur gear.its the piece. that hold the gearbox in place.so now I got to get a new Spur gear.I feel good bout ordering parts for the frist time.didn't. get anything worng.