Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Skate

Rate this Entry

AK47, An Opinion.

Posted 10-03-2009 at 09:04 PM by Skate
While I appreciate the rugged durability and performance of the real steel AK47, I don't quite think it translates into airsoft.

First off is the fact that it is a size that it a bit..awkward. The AK47 was made as an assault rifle, and as such is a mid sized weapon. As a result, it does not gain much accuracy from a long barrel, but is not short enough to be used efficiently as a CQC weapon. Some may disagree, but I have owned an AK47 and all to many times found myself trying to wrestle it out of bushes and when close to a target trying to fumble with the long weapon to aim.

That brings me to another point, the sights. While effective for real steel as they are adjustable for wind/elevation, again these features are not necessary in airsoft. The sights, at least for me, are too far up on the weapon to be used and are a little hard to see. Due to the nature of the gun that is used in airsoft, many AK47's require aftermarket parts to make the addition of better optics, or it is not possible to add optics at all.

Lastly is the look. Now this is purely opinion, but I find the AK47 to be a very ugly gun. When you turn it all black to make a "tactical AK47" it looks worse. When you add on a full RIS and slap on a retractable crane stock, it becomes the worst looking gun there is. Again, all my opinion.

So I just wanted to share my opinion, as I see a lot of people not liking various weapons for various reasons, I thought I would say why I don't like this particular one.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9472 Comments 16 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 16

Comments

1. Old
    Interesting blog. Interesting Opinion.

Perhaps I should pen the "Shaking Hands With A Walrus: The Feeling of Handling a P90" Blog I've always wanted to.

But what if noone cares about my opinion... What if they had opinions that they held higher then mine?!

Pfft.

Spencer.
  2. Old
    Write it then...it would be your blog wouldn't it? If they don't care about your opinion, then why read a post entitled that is, in fact, an opinion.
  3. Old
    Have you ever owned a Tokyo Marui AK47?

Do you actually use your sites? Or do like everyone else and watch the BB?
  4. Old
    If I can clear a shoot house with my M14, you can crawl through bushes with your AK The person makes the weapon not the weapon makes the person.

Iron sights in general don't work in airsoft as intended with RS. Something that's designed for 100+ meters vs 150ft. It's more of a point and pull. Can you say red dot? Note: I do use ISs with my M14.

I've seen worst guns. The RIS, crane stock or anything M4 coverted to AK is ugly. The AK74 IMO is better looking then the AK47, but then again it's not a world icon.
    Updated 10-05-2009 at 05:16 PM by UrbanMarine
  5. Old
    I personally am a fan of the AK-47, but thats mainly because the real steel version kicks butt! I have used the airsoft version and I will agree that the "modern" versions are tacky and pointless. Also, I agree that the sights arent worth much. So, the AK is the gun I love to hate, at least for me.
  6. Old
    I think your approach is a little off when using the AK.

Firstly lets start with the accuracy issues. AK's have a great hop-up system. Couple this with a good hop-up rubber and a good barrel and there should be no reason for accuracy/range issues.

Secondly, maybe you are to small for an AK. Or you just aren't used to a gun that size... Work on manuvering the rifle around. Just because its not a P90 doesnt mean its impractical while manuvering. I've seen people manipulate G3's and M16's better than I can manipulate an M4...

Thirdly iron sights are pretty useless if you dont know how to use them. Personally I love AK Irons, they are quickly aquired and do the job fine.

Lastly if you dont like the look of the gun, then dont buy it...

sticks
    Updated 10-05-2009 at 05:24 PM by sticks
  7. Old
    Grease Man, I have not handled a TM AK, in all truth I don't know anyone who has one. I do, however, use the sights when I shoot my M4 and when I shoot my pistol. I personally just find the AK47 sights hard to look though.

Sticks, I am on the small side...very small side, so that could be where my love of smaller weapons stems. However, it isn't that I think the AK isn't at all suitable for CQC, it is simply that it isn't the greatest weapon for it, which is personally my favorite type of combat.

As far as the look of the gun, when I first got into airsoft I wasn't very "gun oriented". I knew the M4, the AK47 and the MP5, only because of call of duty. Now I pretty much know what it is I am and am not fond of. Not only that, the AK was the cheapest of the weapons that I had been looking into at the time.
  8. Old
    Personally, I love the looks of AK47's. They have a certain rugged toughness about them that I absolutely love. However, if you are to buy one, it needs to be the real wood and steel version. Its just cruel to buy one that isn't. It just ruins the feel of them. I somewhat like the black furniture on them, but you just cannot go wrong with the wood. And besides, the black furniture typically allows for the mounting of a red dot; always a plus. As far as the irons go, they're great for me that is. They're open, so they're, for me at least, quick and easy to get a good sight picture. But, this is all my 2 cents...
  9. Old
    I don't like the 47 either. However the 74 is a sexy beast.

Why does my opinion vary so much on two very similar looking guns? Idk
  10. Old
    I love my AK's! Hands down the hop-up system is great and easy to set. Might take a little bit more time putting in a barrel and few other upgrades but it's well worth it. You can see new 74's with retractable stocks (a little pointless) or folding stocks. Only problem the magazines are bulky and require a little bit more room.
  11. Old
    Agent Spencer, You just wait for my P90 opinion blog. You just wait!
  12. Old
    I agree that putting a retractable stock on a AK 47 does look a little bit tacky, because i think that a stock AK is a great looking gun since its one of the most famous guns in the world. For it being hard to handle i think that is a personal issue and not the guns fault. The real AK was not made for CQC but can be used in CQC if in the right hands. Also its larger can be attributed to the real gun since the real AK chambers a 7.62 x 39 round while M4 use 5.56 and P90's use 9mm (i think). But my overall opinion is that if i had to chose between the m4 and AK i would chose the AK its a great gun in real life and in airsoft.
  13. Old
    Fame does not make a gun attractive. Just throwing that out there. You are right, it is a personal issue, but then again, this is entitled AK47, and OPINION.
  14. Old
    P90 uses 5.7 x 29mm

I'll take an AUG over a 47 in real life any day.
    -Lighter
    -Actually, incredibly reliable, almost if not equal too the AK-47. (I know, doesn't seem like it would be.)
    -Swap out different length barrels in seconds
    -Ergonomic
    -More efficient

Honestly the Ak-47 is NOT a good gun at all compared to modern standards. It works, it's cheap, that's all it has going for it.
  15. Old
    I personally agree that bullpup guns are more efficient, not to mention more attractive.

Once we get a quality L85, I'm definitely getting it.
  16. Old
    Indeed, I like the carbine version though

http://shop.military-club.cz/images/...85_carbine.jpg

Hopefully Echo 1 will make a full metal version. If it's under $200 I'd buy it.