Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Red

Rate this Entry

The forum Vs. The field

Posted 03-13-2009 at 02:29 AM by Red
Updated 10-08-2009 at 12:19 PM by Red
It seems that a lot of people are different than they are on the field than they are on the forum. More than likely, I'm one of them. Heck, 90% of the people I know are different on the field than they are on this forum.

I see so many people that make me so frustrated on these forums, yet, when I meet them in person...they're intelligent, they're funny, and they have a good time on the field. Its incredible how grammar and sentence structure can make you seem over the internet. You can seem so incredibly intellectual with a proper sentence, but you can also seem so very ignorant because you don't use the shift button at the beginning of every sentence.

I've tried to seem like the same person on these forums, but I'm sure I seem like an elitist douchenozzle most of the time. I do not mean to be - those of you that know me in person know that I'm a big goofball (For those of you who knew who the FTS was, I was a co-founder of that group).

Patience is something we need to practice with each other on these forums. Don't let the anonymity of the internet let you become a jerkwad, because I know most of the people here are nice, intelligent, and fun people on the field. I'm sure we all know that.

Back during the AO-AC chat war days, some of us here on the forums let ourselves go. We didn't give each other a chance, we simply concluded things about each other without knowing anything. I'd say that every single one of us from those days now has met every single person they once considered the OPFOR (What better term could you use? ).

We now know that they're about the same as us. They enjoy the same things, they're entertaining, they're polite, and understanding. We all just came to a halt and blinded ourselves. Two groups butted heads, but we solved it. The chat is back, we can all communicate in it peacefully, and ENJOY the chat.

Be patient with people who don't uphold themselves that well on these forums. If they're trying, be nice. Its like a kid...you can't just scold them. You have to tell them what they did wrong, why its wrong, and you have to work at it so everyone can enjoy this site.

And for those of you who seem to be at a lower standard, fix it. Don't get grouchy when a group of people dog-pile on you because you continually do something wrong. Just work at it.

I know that once we all get on the field, these forums, the persona's...they disappear. We are ourselves. We are friends, combatants, OPFOR, teammates, and airsofters. We're a rare breed, in my opinion. We are a very civil group of people for the type of hobby we play (fiercely competitive on occasion, and very serious on the forums).

Lets just continue to keep it civil, accepting, and entertaining for all. Its just a hobby, after all.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2646 Comments 6 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 6

Comments

1. Old
    I agree. Forums can bring out the worst in people. In the real world tempers like this get you fired (I've seen it happen).

Spell check is your friend but most importantly so is common sense.

Thanks for a well-worded, thoughtful post. Goofiness has its place - crab walking through enemy fire comes to mind...

Have fun everyone. See you on the field.
  2. Old
    That has to be the most elequently written blog post I have ever read, Red!

You nailed it right on the head. I know many hotheads (here on AO and other forums) who have gone back and read their posts from years ago and are so very embarrassed by the way they acted toward others. Heck, I was a little snippy myself when I was younger. Now I try to post like I would with someone in person.

You clearly are much more mature and aware than a lot of folks on this forum. This post reminds me of a saying I heard long ago, and it still rings true today: "Some people just want to be right, and some people just want to be happy." The thing that each of us have to ask ourselves is, which type of person are we?

Keep up the great writing!
    Updated 03-14-2009 at 03:28 PM by Torque
  3. Old
    I love lamp... i mean, red I LOVE RED. Sorry im as much as a penis seeking BS's spewing dude on the forum as i am on the field.
  4. Old
    a hobby? a hobby? this is my life!!! not seriously of course.
  5. Old
    See if everyone hated everyone on here it would not be as nice as it is.
  6. Old
    Hmm... I also think that this phenomenon is partly due to the premature judgment placed on individuals through interactions on the internet. Its not only the way people act, but also the way that people view the actions of others. It's a double edged sword. For example, I sometimes fail to hit the shift key when typing on forums, or use a double period '..' at the ends of some posts. However, if some people view that as ignorant, and therefore me as ignorant, I'm almost tempted to do it more. It seems elitist and, to me, ignorant to judge someone, not based on their ideas, attitudes, and morals, but because of a few strokes on a keyboard which are input into a virtual community.

One may say that another should conduct themselves in a manner which makes it as easy as possible for another person to read their posts. I would agree, but i also believe that getting our panties in a bunch because someone does not capitalize the word 'I', and judging them upon that fact instead of the comprehensiveness and intelligence of their post is pointless, and somewhat stupid. I believe that as long as an error does not compromise your comprehension of the post, it can, and in most instances should be overlooked. There are more important things which can be used to judge peoples character. For example, the content of the post instead of its delivery. Call me young and naive, but these are my opinions.

Remember, that this is just one example of the phenomenon of which i speak. In general, it is important to remember that voice inflection, body language, and verbal and non-verbal signals are the key to comprehending the information that someone communicates to you. Without these factors, it is hard, if not impossible to get achieve 100% comprehension of what someone on the forums means by his or her words. As such, we should all do our parts to give each other the benefit of the doubt in all applicable situations.
    Updated 03-21-2009 at 10:18 PM by stewb_10