Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > BIRDSTRIKE

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Doing my part to further safe legal play.

Posted 07-25-2009 at 01:55 AM by BIRDSTRIKE
The other afternoon while unloading my truck from Operation Savage Seas, I saw a most troubling sight. A young man from my block and his pal were walked down the middle of the street with paintball masks and airsoft guns. They were on their way to play in the cemetery two doors down and were actually cutting through my neighbors back yard. Neither had their replicas in bags or cases, and the cemetery is a historical site and city land.

I stopped them and informed them that playing there was an extremely bad idea. I also informed them that, running aroung with replicas out in the middle of the street was also a bad idea (as in dumb dumb real dumb). I made it clear that as a fellow airsofter I would hate to see them give our sport a bad name, or worse get hurt.

The gentlemen in question were very shocked when I told them this. And did not say a word. They went home, heads down at a scamper, no doubt they were egger to get away from the mean guy on the corner.

Late that evening after dinner time, the doorbell rang. It was the neighborhood "streetsofters". They wanted to know:

"Where do you play airsoft?"
"What is all that stuff you were getting out of your truck?"
"Where is it safe to play?"

I told the boys about AO and open plays, and about the proper way to not wind up being on the wrong side of our towns finest. I plugged Airsoft Arms, and talked about why they aught to buy riffle cases. All in all I talked for about a half hour to the two of them.

It turns out they had no idea we even existed or that there was such a thing as a safe/legal place to play the game. Furthermore their folks had no idea either. They even admitted to being stopped by the police on two occasions when trying to play someplace less than sanctioned.

I have a good feeling these guys will show up at an open sometime soon. I hope they have a good time and learn a lot. I hope they teach their friends as well. But even more I hope they stick to sanctioned games (IE not someplace that would freak people out) or private land with permission.

New players are going to always be doing irresponsible stuff so long as parents keep buying their kids wallguns. If you see them, try to show them the light, before they wind up on the 6 O' clock news. Sometimes, like this one they are just uninformed. Others they are just dumb, but it can't hurt.
Views 7690 Comments 10 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 10

Comments

1. Old
    Bravo Sir

Thankyou for doing your part as a responsible member of the community. You set an example for the rest of us, and I personally appreciate it.

It is sad, but it is becoming a more common occurence now in law enforcement to come across airsoft guns on the street. The trend now is not so much misguided youth not knowing where the appropriate place to play is, but rather criminals using airsoft replica in substitute of real pistols that they cannot afford or obtain. I have arrested 3 such individuals ,and found them packing the plastic heat. This trend is making a poor impression to law enforcement about airsoft, and I try to remind the other officers that I work with that the milsim sport is a completely different group of responsible individuals.

Thanks again for keeping them from going down a dangerous road.
  2. Old
    This is a great story. This is how we improve the image of our sport and promote a good reputation. Great job, eagle.
    Posted 07-26-2009 at 06:49 AM by Comrade Garcia Comrade Garcia is offline
  3. Old
    Excellent

+1 to you!
  4. Old
    good blog, good job

Positive promotion and reinforcement is always a good way to handle things in person. Those kids were lucky the cops didn't confiscate their stuff.

Love to hear stuff like this.
  5. Old
    Applause!!!!
  6. Old
    I stopped when i saw someone carrying an AK over their shoulder. He too was shocked. while it looked even more suspicious, when i was pulling away i saw him walking with his shirt wrapped around it. But atleast he tried.
  7. Old
    I think that 75% of kids who get in trouble for playing in illegal places like that are just uninformed. I was in the same position they were when I was getting started. I had no idea that real airsoft games even existed, let alone guidelines for the proper way to play. My point is just that I think most kids just don't know they're doing anything wrong. Don't get me wrong, there are some people who know and just don't care. The only thing we can really do is try our best to be patient and help these kids out whenever we can. We don't need any more kids getting in trouble for doing something they thought was harmless, and we definitely don't need any more bad publicity for airsoft.
  8. Old
    Good job Eagle. Thanks for helpin' us all out.
  9. Old
    Lets just hope that if those 2 do join AO they won't be the kind of people that post which gun/gear/camo is the bestiz threads.
  10. Old
    I see that stuff all the time... One kid from my town broke into an abandon factory with some friends to play. Someone called the police before anyone got hurt luckily... The kids weren't even wearing glasses... Good way to get an eye put out!