Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Brenden45424

Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

King Arms M4A1 Gas Blow Back Review

Posted 07-01-2011 at 02:37 PM by Brenden45424
After having this fantastic gun for a little while now and noticing that more and more people are coming to own this gun but no reviews have yet to be posted on this furom I dicided I would do one. Now this isn't going to be the best for this is my first review.

Initial Thoughts
Apon initial research when I was looking for a new gun I was a little sceptical about this gun seeing as how it's still in the first year of release and not many people know about it so I couldn't get any personal reviews on popular issues with this gun. The price of this gun was nicely priced at $350 via Airsoft smith and the mags only $35 via redwolf. (fluculates between $35-$45 depending on P.O.P.)

When I recieved the gun and got it home I was excited to get it out and fire it. In my mind it was better than a PTW, Apon upgrading recoil spring, 1. close to real recoil, 2. Functional bolt catch, Option of Locking bolt when mag is depleated, ability or increase/decrease R.O.F., Blow Back, Working forward release.

I had trouble loading the magazine at first because I didnt know Bolt lock switch had to be all the way down to load gas. After learning from this (A day later) I fired the gun out back.

The recoil was new for me but was had a nice kick. I put the minimum buffers in the buffer tube to achieve bolt lock when mag was depleted. After firing on semi for about 20 rounds I switched to full auto and let loose with the remaining 30 rounds in controlled 3-4 round burst. At 11 RPS I depleted the mag in about 6 seconds.(slight pause to admire the sound and feel at beginning).

Trigger Responce
The trigger responce was amazing. It was instintanious. With the added amplifire the sound was loud and obnoxious, and on full auto almost sounded real. With the feature of the locking bolt and bolt release it made loading the magazine so much smoother than a PTW when I got the hang of the fast reload.

Externals
The Gun itself is made out of metal I believe CNC'd? correct me if in wrong please. Only plastic parts are the same for any RS M4, the handgaurd, Grip, and Stock. Flash hider was the burnt orange and plastic bust was quickly replaced with a metal amplifire.

The gun does have full COLT TM's and what I believe to be a unique serial number.

This gun takes all PTS magpul parts that are FOR GBB's! any AEG part will not work. Redwolf is the only carrier of these parts that I know of. this includes stock, grips, bodies, pts mags.
only AEG magpul parts that work are handguards and rail applied accessories. This gun is also able to hold a compact rifle cleaning kit in the grip via magpul website if you want one (only compatible with MIAD/MOE magpul grips).

Also all WA or like parts are compatible with this rifle!

I messed around with the gun for a few days then recieved my parts from redwolf. A PTS PTS GBB stock [out of the UBR stocks )':], G&P rubber padded Sniper grip for GBB, G&P Sniper trigger gaurd, MOE handgaurd rails, and AFG 2. I was excited. The trigger gaurd ended up not working(to wide) didn't get GBB version.

In order to change the stock to the PRS PTS stock I had to open up the gun like a RS and unscrew the buffer tube. I needed a punch and hammer for this sense the rear pin in tightly put in. after pushing it through and lifting up the upper reciever. I took out the recoil unit and buffers and proceded to unscrewing the tube itself. This itself was no easy task. It took 2 people, anti-thread lock, a rag to put between the tube and the wrench, and table. after a good 10 minutes of trying to unscrew it, it eventually can to. then we had to screw on the longer tube for the new stock. After putting everything back together putting the new recoil unit in (stiffer spring and heaver ?buffer?) I proceded to fire it some more out back.

Recoil
The recoil had much more of a kick to it and the bolt was slightly harder to pull back. and the locking bolt doesnt lock 100% of the time, more like 75% now, mainly when im on semi. But the gun performed great.

On to the hop up...
After taking it to OP: Estonia I discovered the hopup isnt that great. it drops at 100-120 feet no matter how you mess with the hopup.
Its also not that accurate after 75 feet. Therefore I will be replacing the hopup soon.

Gas Valves/consumtion
This gun also features interchangable valves for the fps of the gun. A highpressure unit which will put it between 370-490 and a Low power valve which will put it between 390-420 according to the book. However, with the low power unit I cronoed at 350 consistantly at Op:Estonia in what was 75 degree weather. This is the only places i've been able to crono it so ill let you know as the year progresses.

The gas consumed by this gun is effected by the valve you use also. High power valve means you only have enough gas for only 1 full mag. With the low power unit you have enough for about a 1.5 mags.

Mags
The Mags are a god send for me. After running with MAG mags these things are amazing. The feed flawlessly. The only problems I had was the rubber gas bucking feel off durring the game but was easily replaced back into place. The are heavy compared to any mag I have seen even PTW metal mags. Original weight of gun and mag are almost the same if that says anything. full metal contruction except for rubber bucking and plastic springhead. These mags are durrable from what I've experienced. Ive dropped them from a good 4-5 feet onto springfields gravely loading area and the mag held up fine. They load smoothly into the gun and have little wobble until you fire the gun(WARNING- when fireing do not place gun on mag when fire, this will mess with the guns performence). BB's also load ofset style for a average compasity of 49rds +/-. Gas compasity is about the same.

1.To load mag..
1a. Use giving speed loader with specific nozzle (without nozzle loading is VERY difficult, also good for loading pistol mags like my M9A1)
1b. put mag facing up (gas loading port facing down)
1c. put speed loader perp. to the mag(verticaly) and commence loading. (Speedloader holds about 2 full mags, again, +/- a few bb's.)

2.To load gas...
2a.Flip mag (gas port up),
2b. Hold propane tank or green gas canaster vertical/perp to mag and push together to commence loading or gas.
2c. Check every 3-4 secs to make sure mag isnt being over filled. Gas will spew out of loading port if over filled.

3. Then insert mag
4. charge the handle(or press bolt release if already charged)
5. commence firing
6. Once mag is emptied, release mag and insert another filled mag or repeat prosses.

This gun is opperated like a real gun. So if you have ever fired a RS M4A1 or like AR. Then you should feel comfortable with this rifle.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 14068 Comments 7 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old
    Good review. I have the same gun and really like it. Only negative is the hop up which is pretty bad. I ended up taking the hop up apart and adding a small piece of rubber to the nub that pushes down on the bucking. This provides a lot more hop up and it will fire out to 150-175ft now.
  2. Old
    Hey jason, can you send me a picture of that or just the piece of rubber with dementions and where to place it and what not? Thats a fantastic idea and would LOVE to try it cause as we both know, original hop-up sucks!
  3. Old
    Good review, I have the KJW M4, but I wouldn't mind getting a King Arms.
  4. Old
    PTW FTW!!!!

good review though
  5. Old
    Nice! King arms is one of my favorite manufactures. Excellent AEGs too.
  6. Old
    Ive been looking at a gas assult rifle for a while now. Solid review. Question, Is there any aftermarket hopup that would work? Seeing as ive heard from multiple users now that the hopup sucks, that would be the first thing I would replace.
  7. Old
    @Overlord: I myself am in the middle of looking for an aftermarket replacement. Sense this is still in the first year of production there is yet to be many replacement aftermarket parts available, and if there is its only a question of finding them. Only compatable parts that I know of are the WA or like parts as stated in review. Everything else is still a mystery.

@Blade: You'll say that untill you try my gun. I did. I insist you do next time I visit springfield on the 16th.