Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Jonezy

Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

A Reminder About Your Teeth

Posted 02-01-2012 at 10:14 AM by Jonezy
Hello everyone and welcome to my first blog post. I have a few things to say about dental safety that I feel have not been stressed enough in this forum and in our sport in general. Please hear me out and consider the following:

Every time I go to an event, I notice how many other people have expensive goggles like ESS Turbofans, Revision Desert Locusts, so on and so forth. In one day at Springfield, I counted well over $1,000 worth of eye protection being used by various people on the field. Can you believe that? So many people, myself included, have sunk some serious cash towards making sure their eyes don't get damaged or destroyed by those little BBs that we shoot at each other. We have set a standard in this sport about eye protection because we can't replace an eye yet. However, tooth replacements are a reality. Is that reason enough to not protect your teeth?

A few years back at a private game with some friends, I shot a tooth out of someone's face with a 350 FPS AEG. Broke it right in two, watched him kick his head back, and spit the pieces of tooth out in his hand. There was some blood but not much. We stopped the game and he went home and later went to the dentist to get it replaced. That pretty much ruined the rest of the day for the others and I. None of us were wearing mouth guards, but all of us had sufficient eye protection.

Today, I look around myself at all the other people on the field with high-dollar eye protection and I wait for them to speak or smile. Some have mouth guards but most do not. Why? We go so far to protect our eyes and yet many do nothing to protect their teeth. A while ago, I spent $40 on a Protech Dent mouth guard. It's thin, perforated, black, it doesn't come out until I want it to, and it allows me to speak, whisper, and drink. The only thing I can't do with it is eat or say tongue-twisters. There are many others out there that will do the same things and cost less, too. Shop around a bit and see for yourself if you haven't already. Protecting your teeth could save you from having to leave a game early and taking time out of your busy lives to get your mouth patched up. It could also save you some money if you don't have dental insurance.

To those that have and use a mouth guard, hats off to you. Get your friends to get mouth guards, too.

To those that don't have or use a mouth guard, please consider investing in one. You spent X amount of dollars to protect your eyes, so why not spend a little more and protect your teeth? You may find yourself being able to play a little better knowing that your teeth are protected.

As a side note here, face masks are a decent way to protect your teeth as well, but not all of them are foolproof. You are definitely better off by using one than you would be without.

Thanks for reading. /rant/
Views 9935 Comments 14 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 14

Comments

1. Old
    Definitely +1 for mouth guards. I got my front tooth shot out at my 5th or so game and damn, it sucked. Didn't really hurt on impact, but anything that touched the tooth, and I mean ANYTHING, even air, hurt like crazy.

Once I got the tooth "capped", which cost a fair amount of money, I bit into something fairly hard that day and the cap broke right off. I had to get it capped, again, thus doubling the cost of the injury.

Life went on pretty normally for about 3 months, untill I ate some real beef jerky that my Dad brought back from Michigan; The cap broke right off and fell into my hand. Cost tripled, plus the embarrassment for not only me, but some of my friends as well as I looked like someone right out of The Beverly Hill Billies.

Mouth guards are cheap and save you a hell of a lot of trouble, and with the stuff your dentist can make, you will hardly notice it! There really is no reason not to have one!

I wish this were a thread, it'd be a great sticky in the "Newbie FAQ" section!
  2. Old
    Thinking about nose hole guards too
    Haha jk no seriously though I do see people with them on all the time and I always question why I don't have one. It costs like $5 max to get a cheapo from Walmart for something called football(idk?) so I will invest in one with a little bit of effort before the next game haha interesting point though! Thanks!
  3. Old
    Jonezy, do you have any problem talking on the radio?
    That is the only problem I have with mine, which is why I don't use it.
  4. Old
    Blade,

My speech is slightly slurred when I'm wearing it but not to the point where I can't be understood most of the time. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to slow down a bit and annunciate words a little more clearly. That's why I went for the Protech Dent one because it was the thinnest mouthguard on the market at the time and might still be.

Italian,

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. Nobody should have to go through that as a result of participating in this sport. Was that before or after you got braces? That would've sucked if it were after... I spent 6 years of my life with braces. During that time, I broke my jaw while sledding, had four teeth surgically removed, and had to have a Herbst appliance for a long while. Needless to say, I don't want any of that time to go to waste...

If a moderator feels the need to have me post this in the Newbie FAQ section, send me a PM and let me know.
  5. Old
    I lost some teeth at blind fury this year. Took a full auto blast and ended up spitting out teeth fragments. The tooth shards actually cut my tongue too. Now myself and my team are all very committed to wearing face/mouth protection. It was a very expensive, painful, and sometimes embarrassing lesson but someone had to learn it. I agree w/ you 100%, teeth protection is something that many, if not most, have over looked and probably will continue to do so until they themselves or someone they know loses teeth. It is simply a reality of our sport and something that needs to brought up more often.
  6. Old
    I've lost half a front tooth, it sucks. Seriously, wear a mouthguard. Keeping your mouth shut may or may not protect them enough. It hurts like a *****. So go to a Sporting Goods store, drop 2 bucks and go boil that **** and go play with safe pearly whites (for some of you yucky yellows)
    Posted 02-10-2012 at 06:00 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  7. Old
    Jonezy, that all happened about 7 months before I got my braces, luckily. I can't wait to get them off and have my dentist make me a mouth guard.
  8. Old
    Knew a guy who lost his tooth. Definitely not something you want happening to you.
  9. Old
    Saw a kid wearing braces get a tooth broken. Broke right at the brace line. $1200. Our field requires mouth protection, either full or half mask. We don't allow mouth guards as there is no way of telling on the field if someone is wearing it or not.
  10. Old
    Good reminder Jonezy. I've been fortunate to not have lost a tooth. I used to wear a mouth guard, but now I just wear a lower face mask to avoid the comms hassle.
  11. Old
    At any open field game I wear a shemagh and I found if you tie it correctly it'll stay up most of the day without needing to tighten it, very effective way of protecting teeth; however in CQB environments I tend to use the Shemagh with my Balaclava, saved at least 1 tooth over the years so well worth the 25 bucks I've spent on them.
  12. Old
    I personally use one of the mesh lower face masks. The problem for me was that there was no padding on the top of the mask, making it painful to wear. I went to walmart and got some window padding w/ adhesive backing, problem solved. I can put my camelback tube up under the mask and drink. My speech is not slurred and it protects the soft skin on your face. I highly recommend them, infact I made on of my younger friends get one because his mom spent so much money on braces.

Definitely one of the things we need to start suggesting for every field.
  13. Old
    i use an ironface but am thinking of replacing it with mesh sometime. the ironface does work but is VERY HOT in july.
  14. Old
    I took one to the mouth this past weekend from about 10ft, was lucky enough to be wearing a mouthpiece or the situation might have not turned out so well