Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Skate

Rate this Entry

Introductions And You

Posted 09-07-2009 at 06:02 PM by Skate
Take a look at the introduction forum. If you take a look at the replys there's almost always a new, overly eager member who is telling the OP to follow the rules, or read the rules, or watch their spelling. I'f you notice, many of these members are the very same ones who were repremanded for the very same issue.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sat that I am an old, well known, well respected member, or even one above average. However I do think that it is a little bit out of place for a new member, of any forum, to post in the introduction form, that welcomes members almost as new as they are, and to be telling them that they should start following the rules.

I'm starting to think that some forums should have a minimum post requirement, or have to apply to post in them and be approved before you can post.

That's just something I've needed to get off my chest for a while.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6304 Comments 16 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 16

Comments

1. Old
    And you joined about a month ago?
  2. Old
    Nope joined around April, my account was sk8ing667 but the name was...not very mature, so I contacted loc about changing it, but after a week he didn't answer so I just created this one. I didn't create that account until about 4-5 months of browsing the forums without an accout. So I've been here ~ 9-10 months.
  3. Old
    Don't let it bother you. Everybody has to start somewhere.
  4. Old
    How is it out of place for a member to welcome another member?
  5. Old
    Its not. I just think that it isn't exactly right for somebody who hasn't been here long at all to be telling every new member who comes through the forums to read the rules next time, and in some of these cases I don't even think rules had been broken, so it seems like it could ward off prospective new and valuable members. Theres nothing wrong with saying hi, or welcome, but some people seem to have nothing to say but to read the rules, which again in some cases seems a bit hypocritical...
  6. Old
    Or newer members telling other newer members they are doing something wrong in a blog when they infact have violated a rule...
  7. Old
    Its my blog and I'm allowed an opinion. I posted it in a blog because it pertained to this site, but I didn't think it was worth of a post, so I put it up here, where it would be out of the way and nobody had to read it who didn't want to. Anyway, I don't care if its a new or older member, its still something that seems like anybody could take to heart, it just seems that there are mostly newer members doing it. Also I didn't say it was "wrong" I said there are better ways to welcome people into a community.

If you are talking about the multiple account rule than I apologize, but this account wasn't made for malicious intent. I had originally PM'ed Texx about changing my name, who redirected me to Locutus, however I never had any luck contacting him, so I just made this one as I had already been advised that a name change could be in order. I know for a fact there are at least two members who are well respected on AO (one is in your squad ReverseFlank) who knew that I had made this account, and I never was told that I shouldn't have made it. I haven't even logged onto the other one since this account was created, so I don't exactly see the issue. If it is a big problem, by all means delete this one, and ill attempt to change my name on my elder account again.
    Updated 09-08-2009 at 06:07 PM by Skate
  8. Old
    I don't see the big deal, it's not like some reinforcing of the directions is going to do anybody harm, regardless of who it comes from.
  9. Old
    Again, if you remove any mention of new members, my point remains the same.
  10. Old
    Yeah i remember telling you that. You tried to do it by the rules and no one wanted to dignify you with a response. I think you were within your right to make a more appropriate account.

As for your advice, i agree to an extent. However, the whole board could "rabble" about what we think should be done, but ultimately its up to the staff to listen. By all means, dont silence your own voice, thats what the "man" wants us to do...just dont expect too much to get done about it
  11. Old
    Quote:
    Yeah i remember telling you that. You tried to do it by the rules and no one wanted to dignify you with a response. I think you were within your right to make a more appropriate account.
    Do you know how many name change requests I receive and how many other PMs I receive every day? I might miss one every now and then. Excuse the **** out of me. Heaven forbid he just send me another one to follow up. Telling him it is ok to break the rules just because he wasn't "dignified" with a response puts some of the responsibility on you. Having multiple accounts is cause to be banned by the rules. This rule is place for a good reason, as in the past people with multiple accounts have used them for malicious purposes.

As for members reminding new members to read the rules before they post, I think its great.
  12. Old
    **** it, i'll take the full blame if thats what it takes.
    Updated 09-09-2009 at 10:17 AM by Mavrick
  13. Old
    Locutus, I'm not mad, I understand you have a life, a job and a ton of other things to do. I assumed that you got these requests and didn't have the ability to change names, so you just ignored them, which is fine. I had no idea. Also, I'm not placing blame on anybody else, I'm old enough to be responsible for my own actions. If you have the need to ban me, than by all means go ahead, I understand you have to enforce the rules, or they stop being rules and start being guidelines. I just hope that what I did in hopes of gaining a little bit more respect from the community doesn't let me lose it all, because even if I do get banned from AO, it doesn't mean I'm going to quit airsoft all together.
    Updated 09-09-2009 at 02:40 PM by Skate
  14. Old
    You sound like Batman "Time to take the law into my own hands" hheeehhee
  15. Old
    Seeing as how I fall under the new member who has been "repremanded" category I may be able to shead some light on this.

I know very little about airsoft as far as weapons and mechanics go, but I have been just reading posts long enough to know what is and isn't frowned upon and/or a complete violation of the rules.

And I think one thing that comes along with being a new member is feeling that you will forever be labeled a "newb" if your post count is low.
    So instead of making stupid threads or asking questions that will get them in trouble, people chose to post things that they actually know, such as forum rules.
  16. Old
    I don't necessarily agree with the comment regarding newbs. I read the forums for several months before I joined and for a long time, my post count was in the teens. All this time I never felt like a newb, because when I did post, it was something that I was either knowlegable on, could help someone with or could add value to the post. It is the quality of your posts that really matter here and not the count and I always felt that my comments were both appreciated and respected. Working on your post count can actually have the opposite effect, as the veteran members are intelligent and can usually see right through the post to its intent.

I believe it is better to take your time to build your reputation through solid posts, rather than be in a hurry by getting your post count up. Respect will come in time and patience really is a virtue, but sometimes is something that some newbs want to rush rather than embrace...the end result really is worth the wait.
    Updated 09-26-2009 at 08:56 AM by NightWolf