Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Skate

Rate this Entry

War Movies To Watch

Posted 08-26-2009 at 04:38 PM by Skate
In the vast and varied land of war movies many fail (Thin Red Line) while a few stand the test of time to tell a tail of a truly heroic or just plain awesome battle (Saving Private Ryan). The following will be a few of my favorites, and will tell you exactly why if you haven't seen these movies you should. Now. Top 5 war movies of all time.

5. The Great Escape

This may not exactly be a war movie, but it fits the genre as its about a bunch of POW's who make a massive tunnel out of a Nazi prisoner camp. The Great Escape has it all, action, humor, plot, and memorial characters to boot.

4. Ok, I'm going to extend this list outside of the realm of movies, to pretty much anything that is on a screen with guns. This is because I feel some of the most exciting moments I ever have had while watching anything war-like was while playing Killzone 2.

So up next on my list is Killzone 2. What it lacks in plot and character design it makes up in big guns, and big explosions. Big, beautifully rendered explosions.

3. Saving Private Ryan

I'm sure all of you readers have already seen this movie, but it basically follows a small group of 8 men to save a Private Ryan. Action, drama, and good plot make this this war movie #3 on my list.

2. Glory

This movie follows some of the first black soldiers in the Civil War and their journey. It may seem a bit less action-packed than some others, but it has a great story you really can't pass up.

1. Band of Brothers

Wow, where to start. In all truth it is hard to find any fault anywhere. You can't complain about the story, because it is basically a story of WWII (ok, so it is a little dramatic, but still, it gets the important parts in), great characters, and an amazing cast. You won't see too many familiar faces in this one (well at least I didn't know anybody, and neither did my parents), but that adds a bit to the realism. Imagine Winters being played by Tom Cruise.....

So there you have it. If you haven't seen or played any of these, I implore you to go out to your local Blockbuster and try them out. You won't be disappointed.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10489 Comments 70 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 70

Comments

1. Old
    Again, more sarcasm. Sigh.

I always hated the word 'epic', it leaves the taste of a turd muffin in my mouth. /SARCASM better?

I never said casual was bad? Generally though casual, and "not very interesting, laid back" are interchangable.
  2. Old
    Hmm whatever I'm dropping the whole homosexual arguement because it is pointless. I'm going to copy and paste the defination of casual

free-and-easy: natural and unstudied

that doesn't mean of lesser quality.
  3. Old
    Again, I never said it did, casual can have quality (hypothetically) but not appeal. Something doesn't have to have appeal to have quality, vice versa.
    Updated 08-30-2009 at 08:24 PM by Kilo11
  4. Old
    We have different definations of casual obviousally
  5. Old
    This conversation is epic.
  6. Old
    Indeed it is Falcon.

Oh well its a blog.

Skate. Okay hmm lets look at it this way. Would you rather play a casual video game like wii sports? Or would you rather play a serious game like Killzone 2?

Sure wii sports is fun but when it comes down to it wouldn't you say Killzone 2? Or even CoD, Fallout, Halflife, etc.
  7. Old
    Hmm not exactly the same thing, but I understand where you are comming from.

I didn't say that I didn't think LotR was better, it is just that cirque du freak is still entertaining.

P.S. The werewolves are not a major part of the series at all.
  8. Old
    I like Go tell the Spartans
    Gallipoli
    We Were Soldiers
    The Alamo (the remake not the John Wayne one)
    The seige of Firebase Gloria
    Zulu Dawn
    And most of the movies already mentioned.
  9. Old
    No so much "war" but Great Escape! Steve McQueen badass enough said. Hurt locker is newer but decent.
  10. Old
    You will notice The Great Escape is number 5 on my list.