Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Kilo11

Rate this Entry

Good (war, military, gun, etc.) Books

Posted 08-30-2009 at 04:25 PM by Kilo11
After reading the "Good War Movies" blog I thought why not make one about books that have to do with war, military, guns, weapon systems, conspiracy's, well you get the point.

Sooo here are a few of my favorite (no particular order), feel free to list your own.

Shooter
By Jack Coughlin,
Casey Kuhlman,
and Donald A. Davis.

Shooter (not to be confused with the movie) is an excellent auto-biography about the top-ranked Marine sniper, Sgt. Jack Coughlin. The book goes into fine detail about some of his kills and battles he's taken place in.

Overall an incredible book if you like snipers.

Red Storm Rising
By Tom Clancy

Red Storm Rising is yet another incredible book by Tom Clancy. It's about a Soviet oil refinery falling victim to a terrorist attack, and as a result Russia loses %30 of their resources. The Soviets then must go to war to capture UN oil fields in the Gulf.

Great book thus far, I haven't gotten to finish it yet unfortunately.

The Fall of Reach
By Joseph Staten

This Halo novel is a work of sci-fi art. Regardless of whether you enjoy the Halo games you should give this book a read, or three.

The books is mainly about the SPARTAN II selection, training, and augmentation process. The detail is incredible, Staten explains how every futuristic technology works. The cool thing about this book is that it's almost believable. It uses real military doctrine and tactics.

Overall a very gripping and believable sci-fi novel, highly recommended.

Point of Impact
By Stephen Hunter

Point of Impact is by far one of the best modern-day-fiction stories I've ever read.

The story is about an ex-Marine top sniper named Billy Lee Swagger. To keep from ruining the intricate plot, basically he's framed, but survives and he's trying to seek revenge while unraveling the mystery.

The movie "Shooter" is based off of this book, however the movie is disgraceful and does not do the book any justice.

World War Z
By Max Brooks

World War Z is about a zombie outbreak. Its full of "first hand accounts and stories from survivors of the apocalypse."

Great book, it really makes you think there was an outbreak.

I'll post some more later, for now I'm going to sleep.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10382 Comments 22 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 22

Comments

1. Old
    All quiet on The Western Front is a classic. I've read it a few times and agree Cephalos it's amazing.
  2. Old
    Personal favorite of mine is One Bullet Away, which is about A Marine OCS's cadet experiance all the way up into Force Recon in the main assault into Bagdhad. It did make me want to pick up the grizzly habit again though, its full of dipping marines
    Another great book or author, which was already mentioned was On Killing and On Combat. If your like me,youl find out exactly why you are the way you are with that attitude to combat.
    Another good book is Tactics of the Cresent Moon, detailing alot of the threats our troops face, the history behind those tactics and how to best nuetralize the threat while keeping your *** in once peice.
    I also enjoy various books on knife and rifle fighting, as well as unarmed combat. That always is a practical and good read, assuming the author knows their stuff and isnt out to just make a buck wheither or not his bs gets a inexperianced person killed...