Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Kilo11

Rate this Entry

My thoughts on Backyard Games

Posted 08-02-2009 at 08:31 PM by Kilo11
Back yard games.

Maybe I was missunderstood previously, so let me explain.

Just saying the 'B' word bring up controversy.

Well I'm not in the mood to type a whole magazine article, so I'll make this relatively short and sweet.

Everyone elses thoughts: "Rawr backyard games are unsafe and always involve a cesspool of prepubescent, immature children with no brains or sense of safety.

My thoughts: Backyard games are fine as long as the following criteria are matched:

-Everyone must have proper safety equipment.

-The event must be a private one.

-The are that it's played in must not be within public view, and it must be owned by the organizer.

-Law enforcement should be notified ahead of time.

-Everyone must be mature and respectful

-Standard AO safety rules should be followed

-If you're a minor, your parents must give you permission.

I say as long as you follow those guidelines, there is nothing wrong with a 'backyard' event.

Yes there's a risk of someone getting injured and suing, but if you're willing to take the risk it's your own problem, no one elses.

There is much more of a risk hosting a football game in one's backyard, someone could get hurt much easier, and that could result in a law suit.

Why aren't these games frowned upon? Airsoft is no different.

These days you could get sued for anything, it DOES mean you should be more responsible/safe, it however doesn't mean to not trust anyone, not do anything.

Does anyone else agree? Or am I going to just get flamed for being a minor?
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4690 Comments 11 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 11

Comments

1. Old
    well you see people tend to think the worst when they hear "backyard airsoft". Its all too common for people to jump to conclusions and assume no one has any common sense.

Many are afraid that if one person does something stupid involving airsoft that it will end up "ruining it for everyone." Out of that fear they attack and criticize anyone that even mentions playing "in their yard" without knowing the individual circumstances regarding said yard, which may for all they know be miles from any living person.

so in short you probably shouldnt mention playing in a yard of any sort here at any time because I guarantee you someone will criticize you every time. (its just how people are)
  2. Old
    ninja fish,

the discussion wasn't attacking them, he and tater jump to the conclusion that because I don't believe backyard airsofting is safe that he is being flamed. At no point in my discussion am I flaming him or tater, yet they are trying to discredit my argument by accusing me of disrespecting them.

Quite frankly, anyone who knowingly acknowledges the risk and accepts that being unprepared could bring down miserable consequences, yet does nothing to prevent that deserves his fate. I think that is a sheer act of stupidity in of itself.

If his parents are ok with accepting that risk, then they are knowingly endangering others. I'd wonder if the participants parents understand the risk they are taking by participating at that place and if they find that equally acceptable.
  3. Old
    Kilo, at this point I'm wondering why you are even arguing the point.

I know for a fact that you don't host these 4-5 person events, that one hasn't happened for months really, and that there are 4 fields within 40 minutes of us that host fairly frequently, one will be 4 days a week. I doubt this will even happen anymore anyway.

As for my opinion? I'm impartial. I understand that, being a kid myself, it can, and is, extremely difficult to convince my parents to drive us down to an event, then four hours later drive us back, which up to this point the closest was around 1 hour 15 minutes away, when they think we can just go over to our friends house. I do understand though, that most likely our friend's insurance doesn't cover airsoft, well more than likely. Thats what I have gathered.

In short, I understand where both parties are coming from. More than likely this won't even be remotely an issue when all the kids who play in these games can drive in the next year to the events themselves.
  4. Old
    ninja fish: Yes I understand why people dislike backyard games, and I'm trying to make them realize that not every backyard game has to be a dangerous, that some people are mature enuff to host them, and that everything is not black and white.

Texx: We have not been discrediting your argument by saying you were flaming us, you haven't been discrediting ours at all, and this is another example of the same thing.

Skate: Who cares if we don't actually participate in these impromptu matches anymore? We did and everyone has a right to if they are safe enuff. I recall just earlier this week you wanted to throw together another one.

I'm not making this argument for myself because I want to "hold events", it's because I do not agree with saying "All backyard games are bad, dangerous, and immature."

As long as you take proper precautions, you have every right to host a private game, It's your own risk, nobody elses at that point.
  5. Old
    Kilo, don't drag me into your debate with the forum. I am simply saying that it isn't even really an issue with us anymore. I also said I was impartial. I didn't take a side.
  6. Old
    Quote:
    -If you're a minor, your parents must give you permission.
    Well yeah, I gurantee that if 5-10 of my friends who i trust were to show up with out my mom knowing she would just make them leave and i would probably get grounded.
  7. Old
    Sure it's not a direct issue with us, but we played backyard games, and everyone else has every right to. Thats like saying

"Oh I used to play violent video games, but I don't anymore so you can try and ban them, Idc."

And obviously if you recently wanted to play again, then you aren't impartial.
  8. Old
    I would actually like you to tell me when I asked you to play in a backyard game recently, I remember pressuring you to find out about rides to red dragon, and transportation to I70, asking if I could take a few shots in your backyard at a target to make sure that my gun was functioning, but not backyard in over a month.

Again, I'm impartial because I understand that I like to play as much as possible, and I haven't even got to shoot my new gun once since Op 219, but I do still understand how a parent could sue for medical bills.

Also, I don't remember saying anything about thinking they should be banned. I only said I was impartial and that Its not a direct issue with us. I never said everyone doesn't have a right, and I never said we never played backyard games.
    Updated 08-03-2009 at 08:43 PM by Skate
  9. Old
    Uhm you asked steven to play while he was in yellowstone.

The issue isn't whether somebody could sue, ofcourse they could.

The issue is whether they should be played at all, and if you've played at all or want to then it wouldn't make since that you're impartial.
  10. Old
    I asked steven if he wanted to come to Red Dragon with us, we still need another person to drive....anyway we have gotten berated for personal conversations before, so how about we get back on topic here.
  11. Old
    Mmmm kkk, It's a blog so it shouldn't matter but dealio, no one seems to want to debate it anymore though.