Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Airsoft artillery

Thoughts on home made artillery units 1. size of the unit. 2. the type of ammo. 3. the materials their made of, metal or ABS, PVC. 4. Fps need to keep it safe. thanks on any thoughts.
Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.

Airsoft artillery

Posted 11-30-2009 at 11:15 PM by Deadbolt
Thoughts on home made artillery units 1. size of the unit. 2. the type of ammo. 3. the materials their made of, metal or ABS, PVC. 4. Fps need to keep it safe. thanks on any thoughts.
Also I have a few artillery units that I`ve made and will post pictures ASAP along with my team T.A.O. (Tactical Airsoft of Ohio)
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 11646 Comments 41 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 41

Comments

1. Old
    I know they wouldn't let you use these things at an event (unless you host your own on your own property) but Basically if you wanted to create morters or the howitzer I showed you, all they are, are Air cannons -- the same principles of a spude gun -- I would love to work on somthing like this.
  2. Old
    Funny, this was just posted on Arnies
    http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/
  3. Old
    Hell yeah i'd buy it lol
  4. Old
  5. Old
    Yeah if you could get a pvc pipe and air cannon system. Then put small wheels on the side and make it look like an old style howitzer.

I think it would be cool if it fired smoke grenades, then judges/refs (UN) could decide that everyone in an "x" radius would be killed. Lets say a 50ft radius. That way you have a cool effect, little chance of someone getting hit (because its only one projectile and with the smoke its easy to see and get out of the way), and would look freaking SWEET!
  6. Old
    There already is an alternative that doesn't have the inherent risk of a projectile smacking someone in the head. Its called the Zon cannon, and almost all of the large hosting teams in Ohio have them. The concept is simple: A grid position is either chosen by the operator, or called in by a forward observer. The operator fires the cannon (which emits a loud bang from compressed propane) and can be heard throughout the field. An event organizer is already aware of the strike, and locates anyone in the grid location fired upon and informs them they are now bleeding out.

Anything fired as a projectile will return to the earth as projectile, with the same initial velocity. I personally don't want to get hit by anything like that...
  7. Old
    That's why I have made several rounds including: foam tip, hard plastic, smoke grenades, canister, and rubber rounds. They're all propelled by 40mm grenade launcher rounds that can be used with or without BBs. So far no one has been injured but none the less it hurts except the foam n rubber, canisters just go off from the pressure of hitting the ground or an enemy lol and they have a nice spread 15'radius and as for the cannons they sit on tri-pods and if your strong enough you can remove them from the tri-pods and walk with them. Got the idea from Halo3 lol.
  8. Old
    is reminds me of something that was discussed on here once about an airsoft tactical nuke involving a bush plane, two 55-gallon drums, and about 2 million bbs lol...

Honestly, I never even thought of applying artillery to airsoft. I think that pretty much any projectile fired to effectively simulate an artillery shell would be pretty dangerous. Even if you're using stuff like nerf footballs, there's still the inherent risk of someone getting hurt. I like the idea Spectre brought up, an artillery strike with no real projectiles. Safe and effective.

Now, I don't know if there's anything like it already, but mortars could be applied to airsoft under the same principle as the M203's, using the same basic format. The only thing that would need to change is the power behind the bb's. Let's say the fps limit on mortars is 500 fps. That would be more than powerful enough to simulate the advantage mortars have [range, downward trajectory, effected area], and still be safe.
  9. Old
    I guess the best way to understand the potential of these units is to fire them your self let alone all the safety precautions I've put into them, the barrels limit the force (long= accurate fire, less distance. short= less accurate fire, long range.) so even a direct shot at someone won't injure them it stings but I've seen players bleed from spring pistols. Besides my designs are all my own and I would know I got the patent for them lol
  10. Old
    The units have been dubed the MAC gun project they range from massive to small portable cannons with shields and the fps has been controled for safety reasons so you wont get hurt but you'll know when your hit. It involved alot of trial and error lol. The one cannon that my team loves is a three barrel scater stot they call the (uber shot gun) its a pain to reload but massive coverage with an all in 1 shot lol.
    Updated 12-02-2009 at 01:09 AM by Deadbolt
  11. Old
    Well helping you co-make some of these weapons was a great experience. we were able to test the mortar/rocket launcher with great success. the stationary artillary is a great tool for the field that we play on. it gives a high rise and a great view form below, so snipers usually post there, along with the artillary. we are trying new tactics with home-made claymores, and other sorts of devices. and using things other than pellets, so when they fly out they dont sting as badly. I am a friend of Deadbolt, a personal friend who helps him in most of his work.
  12. Old
    I think what we need is the projectile idea but it would, for lack of a better word to think of "disentegrate" above the specifed area basically dropping bbs, I guess the idea I have would be the same as a grenade exlpoding OVER the enemy, kind of like some of the artillery used durring the civil war, just instead of molten hot led balls it would be room temp. BBs lol, the only problem is the shell for the round, i'm thinking somthing that will fall apart (but still harmless) in it's desent.
  13. Old
    Thats the main idea with the mortor system I've made and it uses shells propelled by model rocket motors and they fall to the ground in two parts made of light weight plastic they hold up to 300rds of .12g -.20g bb's and have a large cover area of 30' the bb's are felt but dont sting so no need for helmets lol its range is about 350'= .12g, less with heavier bb's. its called the P.M.S. (Porttable mortor system)(Porttable missile system) and I know the name sounds funny lol but on the field when it goes off the laughing stops.
  14. Old
    P.M.S. lmao...... I love it dude, I didn't catch it till you said somthing, maybe try MMS (Mobile Missile/Mortar System) but yeah that sounds like a good idea
  15. Old
    I know lol I hear about the jokes every time we test new things so yeah i like the name I think I'll change it thanks lol. Yeah I've been trying to explain that their not air cannons and only some of them use 40mm as a propellent so its a semi-new concept.
  16. Old
    We play at a small field, but we use the all terrain for good measure where we play. we've played at open areas too, and have only used this system once, but it works. the key is the fuse and the casing for the shells. its a very intricate design, and maybe we can upload some pictures for the community. it doesnt look that complicated, but the ideas behind it all came from this guys head
    *Points to Deadbolt*
  17. Old
    I like toast lol.
  18. Old
    What about a savo(sp?) round like modern tanks use?

You could use a model rocket motor to launch the round at a high angle (no direct fire). Then when the motor is done it "ejects" opening the savo casing and unloading a 1000 or more BBs. Also, when it ejects it can deploy a parachute so that the savo stays intact and lands much more softly.

This way it is reusable, cool, and relatively safe. You might hafta make it so that everyone has helmets or something. Just a thought.
  19. Old
    If its cheap and easy to make, everyone will be carrying artillery...which is not realistic. Thus, my opinion is that *IF* i were to accept a homemade artillery it had better be expensive, extremely detailed, and mimic a RS application.
  20. Old
    Trust me its far from cheap and not easy to make. and have you ever been to war, both sides have artillery not just the good guys and there is no such thing as fair in war or life.lol