Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Radz

Rate this Entry

Military Waiver

Posted 06-24-2011 at 10:09 AM by Radz
Updated 07-28-2011 at 04:28 PM by Radz
UPDATE JUL282011: So as my knee waiver is being finalized, the USCG doctor realized MEPS screwed up. I do not meet hearing standards.

Now I get to go to a civilian doc, pass the hearing test, and send the Coast Guard the results- since MEPS didn't catch it the first time, they cannot say anything about it if the Coast Guard gives me a final waiver (which they are).

UPDATE: I went through MEPS. I am fully qualified for service with two exceptions- hearing (it's a 2, for those who understand that, but it is acceptable) and my knee (3, or disqualified).
I've had hearing issues as a child, so passing that, even with just an acceptable, was a huge relief.

My recruiter had warned me about what they would say about my knee, and the MEPS Coast Guard guy concurred- both are good guys who want the best for applicant and the service, so I trust their judgement. No problems are foreseen as to my actually getting into the Coast Guard, other than dying of waiting a few months.

I go back for x-rays and a consult with the knee doc, then I should be good on non-standard MEPS visits.

ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS THESE CAPITALIZED WORDS:
So my military waiver from the Coast Guard finally came in.
For everyone since I've never mentioned it, I'm in the process of joining the Coast Guard.

My knee dislocated July 4, 2009, so I've spent the last 4 months waiting on a waiver. Now it is in, and hopefully I'm up to MEPS on July 5, 2011. I'm anxious about getting all this done, as I've been spinning my wheels- plus, every day I wait cuts into my retirement plans

How is this relevant to airsoft? Well, if I go into the USCG, I have to say goodbye to everyone on AO for a while. Plus I will have a source of income allowing me to actually purchase sweet guns.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4225 Comments 7 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old
    Advice Start hydrating now. If you don't pee clear everyday you need to start drinking more water. Once you take care of your body everything else becomes easier.
  2. Old
    Good luck, military life is a good time Have fun being a puddle pirate....just kidding. ARMY RULES!
  3. Old
    Try to get stationed in Key West. Everytime I'm down there all the coast guard guys are all sitting around in Hawaiian shirts getting tan and picking up hot chicks.
  4. Old
    ***SHIVER*** MEPS.....Ugh!
    When I went through I felt like I was number 738 of some evil government experiment!

Seriously, Good Luck to you!
  5. Old
    Carnival- Wish I had known people were posting comments! Took me a couple minutes to get the stream going.. XD

Everyone else- thanks! I got lucky- there were ~50 shippers, but only 6 not shipping. By the time we started the MEPS medical process, there were only 4 of us. It went relatively quick.
  6. Old
    wow, when i went there was like 20 other guys going through so it took forever! and really firefly? MARINE RULE! SEMPER FI!
  7. Old
    Hahaha I think all of us who have gone up to MEPs have had our fair share of ugly stories.
    I enlisted into the USMC and was all good to go. Recieved my ship date and i was pumped. Just to find out a few weeks later that they lost my finger prints... I had to go back up and re-do them. Not only did this happen once. But i have made 3 different trips to meps... all because the government keeps "mis placing my prints". lol.
    well good luck man. hope you get what you want out of it.