Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Spetsnaz

Rate this Entry

Ever find your place in Airsoft where you least expected it?

Posted 09-12-2011 at 03:12 AM by Spetsnaz
Anyone?

Night Archer 6.

I used to be up and down an assault and SAW guy. Nothing else. I lol'd at snipers and DMRs. However, as of late, I have grown fond of being a DMR.

I'm not sure if it's because of the gun I use. ( You must admit. The SVD is sexy. ) or if I find it my new comfort zone.

But at Night Archer 6 I tried assault again briefly. I ended up ditching the gun and going back for my SVD...

I never thought I would be stuck in this support role. Never saw it coming for the life of me. I played assault first, then SAW. Sold the SAW and said never again...then got an M60 and RPK.

Used to never see the point in a sniper or DMR role save for putting a scope for better follow up shots. Always said 'I can just watch my BBs.' Got the SVD and tried it out - fell in love with the role.

So my question goes out to all of you, have you ever found your niche in airsoft where you least expected it - or perhaps once criticized before trying it out yourself?
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10397 Comments 15 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 15

Comments

1. Old
    Yeah I used to be skceptical of scoped guns until I mounted a scope on my M16, first event I used it my mind was changed.
  2. Old
    I always said I would NEVERuse red dot sights or the like. But now im starting to look at reddot scopes and such. Although I still dont like just a dot on my scope I have to have a crosshair or some thing of the like.
  3. Old
    Versatility is always where I have loved it. I am at home with a carbine, particularly my M4. There is something about the support and DMR role that I love, but the more and more I take on leadership, one will learn that the fireteam, squad or platoon is your weapon. So once again I find myself with my trusted M4 (same TM I have had since 04). It allows me to get close as well as far.
  4. Old
    My CA X Series was running at 29 RPS a couple games ago. Not I was sick and tired of running it to the ground every game. So I upped the FPS to 450 and made it a dedicated DMR. Rebuilt the whole gearbox to have the response close to a PTW. I gotta say I love it so far.
  5. Old
    Yep, Used to be skeptical of airsoft. About 8 years ago ish I would say. A friend of my boys came over with this plastic M16 that shot these bb's made out of plastic. It was an AEG not a springer. It was ok I guess but being brought up with Real BB guns and having real BB Gun wars as a kid I kinda gave it a pfft, whatever.

Who'd a thunk it!
  6. Old
    Thats one of the things I love about airsoft. I started out as a grenadier. I still have my grenades, but just sold my launcher. I too have moved towards the DMR. As a person in a leadership position I have found that I need more range, but rarely need to fire. So the DMR fits the bill.

I also have an M4 for a multipurpose role. So I can use the M4 for CQB or field use. I can mount an M203 and still have FA. Granted I will not be perfect at any one role, but I can still fulfill multiple roles well.

I have been looking at a support weapon in my future. Then I can go back to grenades. Its a never ending cycle.
  7. Old
    For many years in airsoft I would snub SBRs as a whole. Pfff I would say, how can a short barreled AEG possibly compete with the barrel length of an M4 or longer rifle in terms of range and accuracy? And so I avoided buying one or even considering getting an SBR.

Well after extensive testing, I've concluded that there is no real tactical advantage of an M4/mid length AEG over an SBR length one. My SBRs and SMGs are lighter, shorter (duh), more maneuverable, and can shoot just as far and as accurate as my M4 length guns. My Systema TW5 is just as accurate as my M16. Hell, my AK-74u can even out-shoot my Systema TW5!

Because of this newfound enlightenment, I'm rather enamored with the SBR right now. Currently I'm trying to see what performance I can eek out of a 229mm inner barrel in one project gun I'm working on.

In terms of roles, I've also learned my lessons over the years. A rifleman or DM is the way to go for me. I will never be a support gunner, ever.
    Updated 09-14-2011 at 05:59 PM by Torque
  8. Old
    I found my place as the guy who yells a lot.
    Posted 09-16-2011 at 11:48 AM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  9. Old
    I didn't know I would be a dedicated medic. I bought a medic patch one Springfield game in April 2010 thinking "Hey, if a guy goes down and there's no medic, I can jump in!!" It was more of a last resort sort of thing, then I got called this way and that to heal others. At first, I was like "aw, I bought a gun and I'm not shooting!!" After 4 more games, I finally found my position: front line medic. No, not the medic who hides in a back room and heals whoever comes to him, that's a "field hospital" (as I call it). I am on the front line with everyone else, shooting when I'm not needed, healing when I am.
  10. Old
    I have started being a grenadier, and so far, I love it. At this point I have a stand-alone launcher and flashbangs, but I'm hoping to add Tornado Grenades and a S-Thunder pistol launcher to my arsenal.
  11. Old
    I have been thinking the same thing, Spetsnaz. It makes me giggle inside when I'm able to reach out and hit someone out of their own gun's range and their BB's are landing over ten feet in front of me.
  12. Old
    I've found that I have more fun as a squad leader or a medic than anything else. It usually involves a LOT of running though.
  13. Old
    when i started airsoft 3 years ago I didnt really have a direction. I bought a referbished CYMA Thompson for 119.00 and Ten 110 round mid caps (that i still use today without issue) and went for it. Teh Team i ran sith picked me up after the first game. The first 2 games after that I found that I was good at running in the back of team as sort of a tail end charlie position. This worked for me for a few reasons. I am a big guy and if i am the last one And I see that i am getting behind i can just pick up the pace without making the the guy behind me wait on me and accidentally fragment the team. the other thing that happened is I got really good at protecting my team, litterally always having their back. One time i particular all of the rest of my team, 5 memebers got wiped out but i hid and wiped out the team that got my team with 5 kills. As a side effect due to the nature of the thompson i became good at waiting to pull the trigger untill they were in range. this makes me a close up kind of shooter. Also if you give me a base i will defend it. its my specialtiy of sorts. After about 2 season of this i decided to get a sawed off M-79 grenade launcher that i put in a drop leg holster and bought 4 nades. It was at that point that i became the grenadear of the group, base defender and run tail end charlie when the team moves and fight close up and personal. it was more of a Zen type of unfolding but well worth the wait.- Great question by the way.
    Posted 09-25-2011 at 04:13 AM by Buddha/ Hohne Devils Buddha/ Hohne Devils is offline
  14. Old
    When I started playing I took a vow never to buy an M4 because they were owned by everyone..so I bought a SCAR-L and an AKS-74M...Now I'm trying as hard as I can to trade my second SCAR-L (WE) for an M4 RIS.... I almost make myself sick lol
  15. Old
    When we started playin back in' '03 we basically would just run & gun, get a bunch of guys together about 20, and make up games. Team based but generally a free for all. With that being said I always considered myself just being another trigger finger. Strangely every event I've participated in I've always been tasked as team leader. Interesting...and my team always looks to me to get them gear, or which has site has the best deal on internals, or "Hey crash can you help with my oil change." So idk maybe I'm destined to be a leader. Crash for president
    Posted 02-24-2012 at 12:28 PM by CRASH_TF330 GUNSLINGERS CRASH_TF330 GUNSLINGERS is offline