Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > BIRDSTRIKE

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

An argument for stock "boring" guns

Posted 05-04-2012 at 10:00 PM by BIRDSTRIKE
This blog is meant to address the "uniqueness war" going on here on AO and facebook. Its also a love letter to my one and only primary weapon "Switch".

I own an Echo 1 G36C. It's the only gun I have ever run for going on six years. I have been around long enough to be a "vet" but I still rock out with a "clone" I got back in 2007. I do this because it works.

I have a G36 instead of an AK or M4, or obscure foreign gun for a bunch of reasons. First of all, I am left handed, or rather massively left eye dominant. Many guns do not play nice with "wrong handed" folks as some like to call my ilk. The G36 series is southpaw friendly.

Secondly, I like the ergonomics and the big stupid mags. Getting pouches for them was harder than if I used STANGS, but once I found some that worked (a discontinued Black Hawk pouch for use with coupled STANAGs that has fixed lids to be exact) I was set. With the G36 you have to grab the magazine to strip it out of the gun. I am not going to drop it like you might with a real mag, but rather hang onto it. I paid for the mag after all, unlike a real conflict, the government won't just give me a new one after I discard it. The lack of a drop free option is not an issue for me and magazine retention is easier.

Third, because the real gun is plastic, it does not feel (as much) like a toy as most plastic guns based on steel firearms do. I did not need to buy an expensive metal body that costs as much as the base gun.

Finally, when I bought my gun a lot of AR replicas I had handled had an obnoxious barrel wobble or felt really weak. That is not the case anymore but it was at the time. The G36C was an affordable option that did not have the problems the AR's at the time in my price range did.

As for customizing, I have replaced most of the parts on my beloved Switch. Only the stock, body and pistol grip remain from the original. Most of the replacements were do to wear and tear and an occasional performance upgrade. I was not motivated to make my gun "different" or "custom" but rather keep it running. The gun remains largely in the stock configuration it was on back in December of 2007. I did add an RIS hand guard, but that was mostly to allow me to use 9.4v batteries and improve trigger response. As I switch to lipos in the coming months I will likely go back to the stock forearm.

This next statement will make self declared "airsmiths" cringe. I do not open gearboxes. I won't do it. I can fix any other problem on a G36 with my eyes closed, upside down, and probably under water, but I won't open a mech box.

Rather than mess with fixing my gearbox when it broke I just got a new complete stock gearbox and dropped it in. I have had less headache that way. I am willing to bet I have had less failures than folks who are constantly tinkering with their internals. I have also probably spent less money too.

All things being equal, what it really comes down to is reliability. In almost six years of play I have had one problem that has taken me out of a game. I blew a fuse during the last ten minutes of probably my third game ever. I did not have any spares at the time. I have always carried two batteries to mitigate the dreaded dead battery issue.

Every other problem I have ever had, be it feeding issues, or the one time I had persistent jams, I fixed my gun on the field or in the parking lot in minutes. Nothing else has impacted my ability to kill tan, ever. Problems were either fixed it on the spot, or it could wait till I got home.

When parts did break, it took one trip online and a week or two to get new ones shipped. That is true even when a "friend" did something dumb and busted what I thought would be a rare part when I was not looking.

All you folks out there who feel the need to be different or run custom guns can do your thing. I will stay with what I know works.

I am an experienced airsofter and I proudly run an old common stock clone.
Views 8916 Comments 9 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 9

Comments

1. Old
    I wouldn't exactly call it a "uniqueness war." It's more along the lines of people claiming to be motivated by wanting to be unique and the rest laughing at them.

The thing is, Airsoft is mostly for show. The unique part is how you set yourself apart from other players. You can whine and bicker all you want about looking different. But if you still do the same amount of bellyaching in DPM as you did when you wore your faded woodlands, then it doesn't make you cooler, it just makes you the same sad whiner in spiffy new threads.

If you really want to be unique, then show people you are not just another whiny nitpicker. Show them you have style and substance. Truth is, if you get out of the fashion mindset and focus on the core traits the hobby offers, it doesn't really matter what you look like.

In other words, stop focusing on the materialistic and shallow parts that you've deluded yourself into thinking the game is about. Airsoft isn't a fashion show, no matter how many times your momma tells you you look good in your imported camo, with vintage whatsits, and gun.

Airsoft is a game of exchanging BBs with your opponent, having a good time, and then logging onto the forums to ***** about everything thats wrong and why you didn't have any fun at all.

Lastly, try not to lose sight of what's important - I'm awesome.
  2. Old
    Nothing wrong with running stock at all. I ran my Tokyo Marui MP5 stock from 1997 until 2007 when I felt it was time to tear into it and see how things were looking.

Surprisingly it had fared very well considering the amount of time and ammo I had run through it.
    Posted 05-15-2012 at 12:36 AM by A Man Named Lurch A Man Named Lurch is offline
  3. Old
    “Waaah! Waaaah! My particular flavor of escapism is better than yours! So you should spend your money the way I tell you to!”

This, believe it or not, does not reference the 'current' argument, but rather points to just about every non technical/mechanical argument on AO I've seen in four years, regardless of actual subject. I wasn't a part of the mythic Golden Age of airsoft in the state of Ohio, so I have no idea if this issue of 'my fun is better than your fun' existed back then.

At first I was surprised by the amount of vitriol, but I suppose I shouldn't have been. After all, I also play Warhammer 40,000 and Dungeons and Dragons. And if people are willing to get blue in the face over pushing 30mm hunks of plastic on a board or imaginary people on a piece of scrap paper, then I suppose people are willing to go into all sorts of hysterics over running in the woods in costume and slapping each other with plastic balls.

Speaking of Warhammer, this whole on going soap opera reminds me of a quote from AbusePuppy, of the wider Warhammer 40K community on the net (3++/B&C/etc)
    "People don't need advice on how to have fun- they know how to have fun on their own, and your fun may have nothing to do with their fun. Advice is for when you have an authoritative perspective or understanding of a subject and you are explaining it to someone in order to enhance their knowledge."

Seriously, folks. Y'all have different flavors of escapism (because that's what airsoft is). If your ability to have fun in this hobby is completely dependent on whether or not the guy next to you has a M4 or an AK or a FN or a lever action 1894 Winchester or a Webley with a bayonet attached...then you might want to consider a different hobby, because people are going to spend their own money the way they want to, typically without any consideration for your wishes.
  4. Old
    Nice way to look at it bird. I'm considering the same thing.
  5. Old
    I'm going to get a Webley revolver and attatch a bayonet to it now.

But seriously, it comes down to what you like. That's it.
  6. Old
    I like naked women and blow. Any guns to suit my style?
  7. Old
    ^I'd recommend a silenced pp7 mr bond.
  8. Old
    ivfly, I would suggest this and a mountain of white powder.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=28774

Tony Montana Inspired.
  9. Old
    I just paint my guns with krylon if I want unique.