Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > WhiteRook

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Memorial Day

Posted 05-25-2010 at 10:42 AM by WhiteRook
Updated 05-25-2010 at 12:12 PM by WhiteRook
Memorial Day (or Decoration Day as my father used to call it) is this weekend. Over the years, this federal holiday meant a day off school or day off work with parades in the morning, a good old B&W war movie on TV, and a family cookout in the afternoon. It was also the first unofficial day of summer.

Now that Iím married to a young lady from Indiana, it seems this weekend also has something to do with auto racing. Who knew!

This holiday originated with Civil War widows decorating the grave sites of their fallen husbands and other family members. It is currently celebrated near the day of national reunification after the Civil War. It is a day when we are to remember the nationís fallen, the men and women that have died in service of this country.

I must admit that I am extremely fortunate. I have never served in combat and I have never lost anyone to the tragic circumstances of armed conflict. Your experience might be different.

For me, my plans for Memorial Day wonít be too much different than they usually are. Iíll still go to the parade, have family over for a cookout, and celebrate the first day of summer. But, I will make time to attend church and say a prayer for the fallen, fly the flag for the fallen, and raise a glass to them at the family cookout. My family will remember the reason for the day.

How you choose to celebrate the day is for you to decide. But I encourage you to remember the people that gave up all of their tomorrows for your today.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5997 Comments 11 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 11

Comments

1. Old
    Amen ...please remeber the Troops in The Korengal Valley Afghanistan couple of them ive served with, most are home now but still on this Day of Days give a moment to reflect everything you now have and are about ....the remeber those who willingly have given you those things ....and ask for so little in return
  2. Old
    I myself for memorial day always participate in my Jrotc's memorial day parade in our town in any way possible. We have a lot of veterans in our town and they love to see the parade every year. Eventually I plan to go on to the army and become a vet myself one day. But for now, I still have a long way to go
  3. Old
    Memorial day is always a somber one for me. If I don't have to work, I have some old friends and their families to visit.

Sometimes it sucks being one of the ones that made it home.
  4. Old
    Memorial day weekend is always the same for me. On sunday I'll be marching with the rest of the Kenston High school Marching band at the blossom time parade in down town Chagrin Falls. This is after a smaller group of us go around and play at 3 cemeteries after the reading of the names of all the veterans from that town. This is my 3rd year being in the cemetery group, and while it's pretty boring, it's very humbling to hear all the names of veterans from the area.

If you can, go out to one of these cemetery ceremonies. You get the real feel for the holiday when you're there.
  5. Old
    This Memorial Day weekend, I will raise the US Flag in honor of all military veterans and active duty soldiers! I will also have a special prayer for the 3/25 Marines, who lost 48 Marines and FMF Corpsmen during Operation Iraq Freedom III in 2005, Al Anbar Province, Iraq.
  6. Old
    VERY NICE WR...too many people get confused on what exactly MEMORIAL means....

I agree...please remember those who have sacrificed and given the ultimate price.

We are going camping (in the backyard).....going to place some flowers on my dad's grave...(a very proud Vietnam vet who died in 2005) and maybe watch a few military movies or the military or history channel all day!!!

THANK YOU!! I remember!!
  7. Old
    I drink to the friends I've lost over the years because they'd sure as **** do the same for me.

Potius mori quam foedari.
  8. Old
    This Memorial Day weekend... I think I'll be celebrating and remembering with a nice long nap. Maybe San Franciscans do something, maybe they don't. I'll have to find out. At home in high school I'd done reveille before... of course that turned out terribly, but that's a story of "what ifs" and "Oops my bads," ... But I digress.

Thank you for the reminder. My thoughts will be more thankful this weekend for it.
  9. Old
    My Memorial Day weekend consist of..........work yeppie. I hope you enjoy yours.
  10. Old
    QQ HK, I had to work this weekend too, have a parade tomorrow morning with the fire dept, and work at 1800 tomorrow night.
  11. Old
    certainly wish I could have thrown a couple back myself UM.