Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > devon.cruse

Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

implement-legislation-restricting-air-guns

Posted 12-22-2010 at 08:51 PM by devon.cruse
New York: Legislator proposes restricting air guns in Suffolk County

The main thrust of this legislation is to identify air guns and rifles as weapons and prohibit the discharge of any air gun within 150 feet of any residence in Suffolk County, Suffolk County Leg. Jack Eddington said. Also, the bill defines an air gun as any rifle, pistol, or shot gun which discharges .20 caliber or greater pellets propelled by compressed air or gas at a muzzle velocity of 700 feet per second or greater.

for the full story go here
http://sachem.patch.com/articles/edd...suffolk-county

go here to the NRA to support air soft
http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=14570
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5623 Comments 12 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 12

Comments

1. Old
    "...at a muzzle velocity of 700 feet per second or greater." really doesn't apply to airsoft with this little bit at the end. What there talking about are those high powered pellet rifles.
    Updated 01-01-2011 at 01:39 PM by cj93
  2. Old
    "by compressed air or gas" ha well that's why most of us use AEGs.
    Posted 01-01-2011 at 03:44 PM by
  3. Old
    So an airsoft gun isn't an airgun!
  4. Old
    """by compressed air or gas" ha well that's why most of us use AEGs.""

An AEG gear box IS an 'air compressor'.

The 700 FPS pretty much clears off the shelf AEGs though.
    Updated 01-01-2011 at 08:04 PM by Groundhog
  5. Old
    .20 caliber or large lol. That's a .92g BB in the airsoft.
  6. Old
    Typical Daisy airgun shoots a .177 caliber projectile. Nothing in Airsoft even comes close to the 700 FPS limit without extreme modification. This is targeting a specific group, probably inside politics. Why is this on an Airsoft forum again?
  7. Old
    Rage, take a gearbox apart. It's basically a small aircompressor that shoots out the air through the nozzle. The difference between Gas and AEG is that Gas doesn't need a gearbox, it shoots the air through (for simplicity purposes) a regulated hose where only so much can get through for a limited amount of time. AEG's have to fill a pump and what the spring does is pushes the air that has been collected through the nozzle.
  8. Old
    I agree with spectre this isn't targeting airsoft it's targeting specific air guns. The .22 caliber air guns would be my guess since I haven't heard of anything other a .177 or .22 caliber for air guns.

This also is not Airsoft New York it's Airsoft Ohio no offense to our out of state members.

Also, Airsoft is one word.
    Updated 01-04-2011 at 11:32 AM by Dougrich
  9. Old
    thanks colombian. i wasn't sure. i thought the piston was driven into the bb and forced it out the barrel
    Posted 01-06-2011 at 06:07 PM by
  10. Old
    Urban, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I believe 6mm roughly translates into .24 caliber.

Anyway, it's clear this legislation doesn't even seem to be targeting standard bb/pellet guns, let alone airsoft. I won't claim to know much about metal projectile airguns but the only ones I've seen fire a .177 caliber. Seems an odd bit of legislation, wonder why they didn't just throw .177 guns into the ban as well?
  11. Old
    when they make legislation in to law. Airsoft guns will be defined and grouped in this. You have to look at something like this as the government would. If you look at this the way it is written it would be identify air guns and rifles as weapons and prohibit the discharge of any air gun within 150 feet granted this is not new york but one person like this can make us all feel the pain when this would come to Ohio and you know it will you would say well we cant do anything about this now and
    for those who say well the law is for over 700fps only well its like real steel guns they would get you for at the least inducing public panic and then you would have to prove your gun is under 700 fps when you go to court to fight this that why the NRA support link is there because the only people who has the means of fight this stuff is by grouping together = NRA because air soft has nothing right now
  12. Old
    Devon,

If you read the article, you will see that the legislation is not an all out ban on air rifles, but simply an ordinance of use in public neighborhoods:

"The legislation takes a common sense approach to a safety issue while respecting individuals' rights to own and operate air guns. If you are an air gun enthusiast who has a passion for hunting, target shooting, paintballing, this bill will not hinder that. What it will do is require that air gun users discharge their guns responsibly, which means not from the bedroom window into traffic on Route 25 or in the backyard 75 feet away from the neighbor's kiddie pool."

So to recap:

a) It only applies to air rifles in the caliber and FPS range listed (which negates all airsoft guns)

-and-

b) This something I preach to our neighborhood kids regardless, not to be stupid and fire their airsoft guns in the neighborhood, where toddlers and even adults could have an eye put out from a bb. Air rifles in the caliber and FPS range they are talking about in the legislation have even been known to seriously injure or even kill small kids and pets.

So if people are not smart enough to show discretion on their own, I guess ordinances will have to be passed.

Again, it is not a ban. Read the article again.
    Updated 01-25-2011 at 07:49 PM by Torque