Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs

1. Old

A parting shot, Part 2

You offered it up as a suggestion.

I have no doubt you had the best of intentions in mind, Blade. I didn't know there was such a problem with players getting so upset over getting lit up or that it was happening that often, or on an increasing basis.

There were accusations being thrown around up in my neck of the woods that the NWOA guys were swapping cylinders and such. It was all a load of BS.

Yeah, the PolarStar did turn everything on its head. It was so consistent that it could make any gun more accurate and make shots more consistent. Before, you had to have some serious know-how and some serious cash to squeeze that kind of performance out of an AEG. The PolarStar just put it within reach for a larger market.

To answer your question about the MP5K vs. the SAW, the SAW can keep shooting while the MP5K guy has to reload. Many times, the SAW guy doesn't even need to change mags. He can just pour more BBs in. People can carry a staggering amount of MP5 mags, though. Just ask that one guy on STAT.

The point of all this is that I've tried the whole semi only milsim thing several times and I don't care for it at all. Restricting/limiting ammo is bananas and if that's where we're headed with the whole milsim concept, I'm GLADLY out.

I still miss the sh*t out of Blind Fury 7, 8, and 9.
  2. Old

A parting shot, Part 2

For the record, I never said I should ban heavy bbs at all. My problem was never about the bb weight, it was about staying inside safe boundaries. HPA came in and flipped the whole sport around. MOSFET came in and flipped the whole sport around once more.

This community was ALWAYS about safety and overall enjoyment and then, suddenly, players show up with 30-50rps guns, boosted their air pressure on the fly (and yes, it was not the majority but it was enough to create a very bad reputation). We then argued about being selective as the PTW users could quick change their cylinder but never got finger pointed. As far as I knew back then, the cylinder swapping was not a known issue in the community as a whole. It was not even comparable to HPA. Players were cheating, gun tech were cheating and even field EO would let it happen. That is all why it went out of control.

After all the discussions we had, the vast majority of the community decided that chronoing with 0.30g bbs would be an happy medium. We stopped using FPS to chrono and went with Joules instead....as you, HPA owners, requested.

As far as the full auto goes. AS an EO, I must make sure nobody will jump at someone's throat. Justified or not. So in the FA case, getting shot, while part of the game, was getting definitely more painful at 30rps than 15rps for the simple fact that one BB feels better on contact than 20 in a row. Even if the shooting player only had 300 rounds available, it was still very painful and very frustrating to get shot by it. Now, me getting shot by a full auto gun? I don't mind. It is when I get shot by a minigun everytime I make a mistake that get frustrating.

As far as the milsim and realism argument goes, I would say that allowing high FPS/Joule or high RPS guns were simply killing the other gun platform. Why running a SAW when an MP5K with HPA can shoot as much and as fast as the SAW? Why running a bolt action at 600fps when a 1.5J HPA gun can reach the same distance on semi or even FA ?!

Simply said, allowing HPA to the same level than regular guns or allowing higher RPS would have forced the whole community to pad up more, which would have been much more difficult than simply not flipping the selector switch or not touching the regulator.

I can't say what really happened in the last few years but one thing is sure; before the HPA and before the high RPS guns, we did not have that much problem and the community was flourishing. Not so much anymore....

PS: The big fuss back then is because I wanted to have HPA users with a tournament lock.
    Updated 09-07-2017 at 09:50 PM by Blade