Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Life After Airsoft

What happens to you after airsoft. And a little bit of what happens during.
Rate this Entry

Make Your Own: Choco-PB Power Bars

Posted 03-20-2010 at 05:57 PM by gertrude
Updated 03-21-2010 at 09:52 AM by gertrude (Conclusion/Results)
I’ve been playing with making chocolate-peanut butter power bars today. I’m not sure that this recipe is entirely the best recipe because of two main problems: The bars that taste good are somewhat sticky, and eating these on a hot day might not go so well. I tried three different recipes in evolution, playing with the amounts until I found something that tastes good.

So, the winner is:
1 scoop protein powder, chocolate, something with vitamins
1 small pinch salt
1 tsp cocoa powder
3 tsp milk
1 heaping tsp natural pb (no sugar added, the stuff where the fat separates)
2 tsp honey
6 heaping tsp quick oats

Makes one 2/3 mag-sized bar, which is two “servings”.
Put the protein powder, cocoa, salt in a medium-sized bowl. Add the milk, and mix until smooth. Add the peanut butter and honey, and mix until smooth. Add the oats, and then mix thoroughly. This should be very stiff and stick to the spoon even when upside down. If it’s not, add a little more oats. Lay down a layer of wax paper on the bottom of a 9x9 brownie pan. Roll out the "dough" onto it, creating the shape of a magazine using your airsoft rifle mag as a guide. It should be smaller than it by a little, and thinner depth-wise. Chill in the fridge for two hours, not allowing plastic to touch the bar itself. Peel up the wax paper, and then place the "mag" top side down on the sheet to let the bottom dry. Keep away from heat (they’ll melt!). Wrap them in plastic and store in a pouch on game day (not in a pocket- the heat thing, again).

EDIT: The bars WILL dry out if you expose them to air, making them good to touch and handle. However, they won't be good with extreme heat. I'd say try to keep the bar to a mag size, and remember to flip it, and you won't have any problems getting chocolate on your fingers. Just remember that the 'dough' should be very thick when you put it on the wax paper.

---
Views 2815 Comments 13 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 13

Comments

1. Old
    I think I made something that looked like that after eating chili from Wendy's.
  2. Old
    Thanks, Texx, for your vote of confidence. Luls. The ones that taste good are in the upper pic, the one on the top right. Boyfriend tested and approved. Tastes like a no-bake cookie, basically.
  3. Old
    It sounds good.
  4. Old
    Thank you Gertrude! i'll try this recipe when i have some time.
  5. Old
    I have to make these sometime. Most things that come in wad form are generally yummy!
  6. Old
    Sounds like a good idea. I usually take an actual Choco-PB Power Bar on the field with me. Easy to store and eat, yet still quite filling.
  7. Old
    My sister saw this and just got done makeing a batch and I half to say that they are really good. They are a bit chewy and dry but that could just be my sisters cooking. Great job!
  8. Old
    Yeah, the only real problem I have with eating them atm is the whole "demands a glass of milk" problem. I mean, they're *incredibly* rich. More pics to follow.

Also, if more people complain of dryness, I might try some things with increasing liquids and letting them set longer?
  9. Old

The first one I made today I didn't put (forgot) the peanut butter, so I had to use more milk and water to make it more elastic.

These are the dry ingredients ^^. Make sure the wet ingredients are mixed in well- it should look like a thick chocolate sauce, and not have any dry powder at all left. If you need to, you can use more milk. Now that I think about it, you can probably use water instead of milk, but I like to think milk binds with the powder much better. Mix out the lumps and such.

Shaping the bar first in some plastic wrap might also help before transferring it to the wax paper. Just use a big piece of plastic, fold it over the lump, and squish to your heart's desire!
    Updated 03-21-2010 at 04:52 PM by gertrude (... I'm goofy.)
  10. Old
    Check out this page for the recipe to make your own D-bar. Might not melt as easy.
    D-Ration
  11. Old
    The only problems I'm still having with it being melty are from not sitting out long enough. If you keep the sides that are dry away from moisture, such as the surface you just flipped it over on, they'll be alright.
  12. Old
    Wow, that sounds yummy. I'm going to have to try this out. Thanks Gertrude.

Oh and from the pictures, they kind of look like No-bake cookies, But made into a bar.
  13. Old
    Yes, they are *very* much like a no bake cookie.

General note: I have not been able to get a pic of a finished product because I keep eating them.

I apologize.